Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help my friend get a new phone

Old 11-08-13, 11:37 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Help my friend get a new phone

I have a friend who's currently out-of-contract on Verizon, using an iPhone 4S. He wants a new smartphone, because he's been having trouble with his iPhone. It's old, it's been dropped a few times, the battery sucks, etc.

His criteria:

1) No Android
2) He wants to pay as little out of pocket as possible
3) He wants 64GB of storage, however that is possible (either on-board or through an SD card)
4) He doesn't want to pay more monthly that he currently is, which is $88

He's not averse to switching from Verizon, and he doesn't talk on the phone much.

I figured some of you here might have some suggestions for him. I'm strictly iPhone and don't know anything about other options, which, if he's rejecting Android, would be Windows Phone. Thanks!
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 11:44 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,699
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

If Verizon works fine for him, stay with them. Every provider works different in every market. I'm perfectly fine with at&t in the Bay Area.

Since he doesn't want Android, just get an iPhone 5S. Windows Phone it's fine, but it's still behind Android and the iPhone.
Raul3 is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 11:53 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
If Verizon works fine for him, stay with them. Every provider works different in every market. I'm perfectly fine with at&t in the Bay Area.

Since he doesn't want Android, just get an iPhone 5S. Windows Phone it's fine, but it's still behind Android and the iPhone.
iPhone 5S is too pricey for him. Ideally he'd get something at $0 on contract.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 12:13 PM
  #4  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: \_(ツ)_/
Posts: 19,316
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

How's T-mobile in his area?
The Lumia 521 is $126 no-contract (or $0 up front with $5.25 for 24 months)
It has all the apps he would probably need (especially if he's not interested in Android anyway, and can't afford an iPhone 5S).
It has a MicroSD slot, which supports up to 64GB.
Rear camera, but no front camera.
It's not the greatest of the Lumia line, but it's dirt cheap.
T-mobile has good plans for people who talk less but use more data or texting.
Just depends on how their service is in the areas your friend frequents the most.

AT&T also has the Lumia 520, which is practically identical.
Dan is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 12:19 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
How's T-mobile in his area?
The Lumia 521 is $126 no-contract (or $0 up front with $5.25 for 24 months)
It has all the apps he would probably need (especially if he's not interested in Android anyway, and can't afford an iPhone 5S).
It has a MicroSD slot, which supports up to 64GB.
Rear camera, but no front camera.
It's not the greatest of the Lumia line, but it's dirt cheap.
T-mobile has good plans for people who talk less but use more data or texting.
Just depends on how their service is in the areas your friend frequents the most.

AT&T also has the Lumia 520, which is practically identical.
This sounds like a good option! I just switched to T-Mobile and am very happy with the service, and I get good reception at his apartment, so that should work fine for him.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 12:24 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

How much data does he use? If 2gb is enough, call in and ask to be moved to the $60 unlimited talk text and 2gb data plan.

As for phone, if he wants a free phone with 64gb capacity and no Android, I think the Z10 is his only option on Verizon.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 12:35 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
How much data does he use? If 2gb is enough, call in and ask to be moved to the $60 unlimited talk text and 2gb data plan.

As for phone, if he wants a free phone with 64gb capacity and no Android, I think the Z10 is his only option on Verizon.
I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if he uses more than me and I'm around 2GB a month.

I can't in good conscience recommend a Blackberry to him.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 02:03 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Wonder if his hold up with Android is the overall thing, or just older Android devices which did suck ass.

Because if I were contract free and willing to switch off Verizon, I'd have a Nexus 5 right now.

What features does he use the most? Some of those Nokia WP8 phones have bad ass cameras.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 02:34 PM
  #9  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: \_(ツ)_/
Posts: 19,316
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Wonder if his hold up with Android is the overall thing, or just older Android devices which did suck ass.
Even some newer Android phones suck, it just depends on the manufacturer/model. I'd never recommend a Motorola or Sony, for example, but that's me. The Nexus 5 seems nice and all, but it's a hell of a lot more than the Lumia 520 or 521.

For anyone even remotely considering WP8, Nokia is the only reliable way to go. And they're doing much better (all things considered) than people give them credit for. Don't touch Samsung or HTC (even though the 8x was nice, hardware wise)
Dan is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 02:42 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

I think Motorola makes some of the best phones on the market right now, the revised Razr line was surprisingly solid imo and had some of the best build quality out there, but I've never used a Sony. I haven't used too many of the newer phones (outside of the S4, HTC One and Moto X which were all rock solid) so I'm not sure which ones you're actually referring to.

But yeah you are correct, the N5 is a bit expensive compared to what you can get the Nokias for (Between $70 and $200, several unlocked).
RichC2 is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 02:51 PM
  #11  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,684
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

There are some very nice Windows Phones out there but the low market share means it's slim on apps. So if your friend is an app hound, that's definitely not the way to go (at least not in the near term).
Groucho is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 02:55 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Or he could just renew his contract, maybe get an iPhone 5S.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 03:00 PM
  #13  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,684
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

BTW, what's his aversion to Android?
Groucho is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 03:04 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
BTW, what's his aversion to Android?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 03:09 PM
  #15  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: \_(ツ)_/
Posts: 19,316
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
There are some very nice Windows Phones out there but the low market share means it's slim on apps.
It's not nearly as bad as people think. Maybe it's just because I don't care too much about some of the more quirky stuff like Instagram or whatever, but Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, Tapatalk , and all the "big" stuff is there. Games selection is good, and some even give you Live achievements. I've been playing Mirror's Edge lately.
Dan is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 05:16 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Lack of official Google Apps are a big deal to me. Yes there are third party options but Google might can them, just like how Google is removing third party support for Google voice.


Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It's not nearly as bad as people think. Maybe it's just because I don't care too much about some of the more quirky stuff like Instagram or whatever, but Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, Tapatalk , and all the "big" stuff is there. Games selection is good, and some even give you Live achievements. I've been playing Mirror's Edge lately.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 05:20 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

The iPhone hangouts app supports calls and doesn't use minutes. He could port the number to Google voice then use hangouts to make calls. The tmobile $30 100 minutes, unlimited texts plan is a good deal of it works for you, and you still would have plenty of minutes using hangouts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
How's T-mobile in his area?
The Lumia 521 is $126 no-contract (or $0 up front with $5.25 for 24 months)
It has all the apps he would probably need (especially if he's not interested in Android anyway, and can't afford an iPhone 5S).
It has a MicroSD slot, which supports up to 64GB.
Rear camera, but no front camera.
It's not the greatest of the Lumia line, but it's dirt cheap.
T-mobile has good plans for people who talk less but use more data or texting.
Just depends on how their service is in the areas your friend frequents the most.

AT&T also has the Lumia 520, which is practically identical.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 06:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
BTW, what's his aversion to Android?
He had a Motorola Droid and hated it. I told him that Android is a lot different now but he said he's used other ones and still didn't care for them.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 03:19 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4,975
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Stupid question. I brought a Verizon LG Optimus Exceed 2 No-Contract Cell Phone for $8. I bypassed the activation. I was using as a media player. I decided to get a Google voice #. I installed Goggle Hangouts & Goggle Hangouts dialer. For the life of me I don't know to answer a call. I see no answer button in the dialer app.
kahuna is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 04:11 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Stupid question. I brought a Verizon LG Optimus Exceed 2 No-Contract Cell Phone for $8. I bypassed the activation. I was using as a media player. I decided to get a Google voice #. I installed Goggle Hangouts & Goggle Hangouts dialer. For the life of me I don't know to answer a call. I see no answer button in the dialer app.
It should just show up when someone calls you.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 10-25-15, 01:07 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4,975
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
It should just show up when someone calls you.
Does not work that way for me. Maybe I need to try a different dialer app. I uninstalled & reinstalled the apps & still no difference.
kahuna is offline  
Old 10-25-15, 09:39 PM
  #22  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,985
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Stupid question. I brought a Verizon LG Optimus Exceed 2 No-Contract Cell Phone for $8. I bypassed the activation. I was using as a media player. I decided to get a Google voice #. I installed Goggle Hangouts & Goggle Hangouts dialer. For the life of me I don't know to answer a call. I see no answer button in the dialer app.
I have a similar set-up on my tablet that has no phone service. When I dial the Google Voice number, the tablet "rings" on the Hangouts Dialer app. I can call out from the tablet using the Dialer app also, so it's not different than any other call-by-wifi situation.

Stupid question: I assume that you were on wifi?
Psi is offline  
Old 10-25-15, 10:46 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4,975
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I have a similar set-up on my tablet that has no phone service. When I dial the Google Voice number, the tablet "rings" on the Hangouts Dialer app. I can call out from the tablet using the Dialer app also, so it's not different than any other call-by-wifi situation.

Stupid question: I assume that you were on wifi?
Yes I was on wifi. The phone is not activated, so there is no cell phone service. I also have a android tablet with the same apps & i can also call out but not answer calls. I can her the phone & tablet ring but no way to answer.
kahuna is offline  
Old 10-25-15, 11:54 PM
  #24  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,985
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
I can her the phone & tablet ring but no way to answer.
If they ring, then there must be some app that is doing the ringing. Check the regular phone icon (even though you don't have normal phone service) and look at the phone log to see if that's where you have been receiving your calls. Maybe you have notifications blocked?
Psi is offline  
Old 10-26-15, 01:30 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4,975
Re: Help my friend get a new phone

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
If they ring, then there must be some app that is doing the ringing. Check the regular phone icon (even though you don't have normal phone service) and look at the phone log to see if that's where you have been receiving your calls. Maybe you have notifications blocked?
Ok I got the answer from another person who answered my ? on slickdeals & now it works.

Go to the Hangouts Dialer app. Hit the menu icon on the upper left. Scroll down to "settings" and tap. Scroll down to "Account Settings". Tap your name, email. Scroll down to "Incoming phone calls" and click the box. When a call comes in, the dialer app should open, and you'll have the option to accept or dismiss the call.

Last edited by kahuna; 10-26-15 at 01:49 PM.
kahuna is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.