Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How fast is your internet speed?

Old 07-22-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How fast is your internet speed?

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I just checked online and I only have Internet 5 and 50 for my area, so so fiber yet. I will not leave Spectrum for those shitty speeds.
Not to mention the cap on those tiers( or pay upcharge)
Old 07-22-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1 gbps uncapped sounds fabulous indeed! Enjoy.
Old 07-22-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
As someone who just moved into a new home (with 3 floors mind you), I had a choice between Spectrum and AT&T. I opted for Spectrum as I have no experience with either provider. The service sucks... using an extender on my 3rd floor, I can barely get 5Mbps.

Based on what I'm reading here, it appears most of you would opt for AT&T fiber instead?

I went from AT&T to Spectrum. AT&T was awful and I do not get AT&T fiber in my area, so Spectrum it was. Best decision I ever made and I installed it myself.
Old 07-22-19, 10:35 PM

As someone who just moved into a new home (with 3 floors mind you), I had a choice between Spectrum and AT&T. I opted for Spectrum as I have no experience with either provider. The service sucks... using an extender on my 3rd floor, I can barely get 5Mbps.

Based on what I'm reading here, it appears most of you would opt for AT&T fiber instead?
First world problems. Enjoy your spacious THREE-floor house and stop your bitching.... Seriously, try putting router on central location on 2nd floor (elevated, away from walls) and it should help.
Old 07-23-19, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
First world problems. Enjoy your spacious THREE-floor house and stop your bitching.... Seriously, try putting router on central location on 2nd floor (elevated, away from walls) and it should help.
LOL!

I'll definitely see if I can find an optimal spot for the router... right now it's in a utility closet.
Old 07-23-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
If you mean your current wireless routers, yes. Base unit from the Mesh Wifi will plug into the AT&T Router.
You mention the AT&T router... at the risk of asking OldBoy type questions, will I no longer be using my modem?

I'm reading this as AT&T will install their hardware (ie router) and I'll install my Google Mesh on top of that?
Old 07-23-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You mention the AT&T router... at the risk of asking OldBoy type questions, will I no longer be using my modem?

I'm reading this as AT&T will install their hardware (ie router) and I'll install my Google Mesh on top of that?
You will still be using your AT&T Router/Modem, the way Fiber-to-Home works is the fiber comes to your house, they bring it inside and it runs to an Optical Network Terminal ("ONT", it converts Fiber to Ethernet). That Ethernet runs from the ONT to the AT&T Router/Modem, and then you'd plug your first Mesh unit into the AT&T Router/Modem. It's both more and less than it sounds but completely worth it.

Unlike most cable providers, you can't completely get rid of the AT&T router at this time.
Old 07-23-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah... thanks for clearing that up! Looking so forward to getting this new service up and running.
Old 07-29-19, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I had the fiber system installed on Friday afternoon and followed that up with the Google wifi mesh system... amazing.
download= 660+ and upload around 850.
Old 07-29-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Your upload is that much higher than your download?

Also, did you set your router in DMZ or a similar mode to route all traffic to the mesh system?
Old 07-29-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Your upload is that much higher than your download?

Also, did you set your router in DMZ or a similar mode to route all traffic to the mesh system?
I haven't touched the router to this point. I'm afraid to do anything as I'm pretty happy with the service.
Old 07-30-19, 10:27 AM
Stealth Moderator

I'm at 100 down 10 up.
Speed envy.
Old 07-30-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't touched the router to this point. I'm afraid to do anything as I'm pretty happy with the service.
If your router doesn't do DMZ mode or otherwise forward all ports to your mesh system (assuming your mesh system is what your wireless devices connect to exclusively), you may run into double NAT problems. But if it's not affecting anything you do, then that's fine.

I've never heard of upload speeds being faster than download speeds as well.
Old 07-30-19, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by namja View Post
I'm at 100 down 10 up.
Speed envy.
That's nonsense. Why "speed envy" at 100 down? Unless you're routinely downloading 500+ GB a day, it shouldn't matter if you've got a 100mbps or a 1000mbps connection. Even 100 mbps gets you about 50 Gigabytes of data *per hour* at full bore! What more could one ask?
Old 07-30-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

100mbps is adequate for most things, that 10 mbps upload is horrible though.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
If your router doesn't do DMZ mode or otherwise forward all ports to your mesh system (assuming your mesh system is what your wireless devices connect to exclusively), you may run into double NAT problems. But if it's not affecting anything you do, then that's fine.

I've never heard of upload speeds being faster than download speeds as well.
Odds are it has nothing to do with the double NAT. There are numerous things that can interfere with bandwidth testing when you get above 500mbps, he could probably test again to the same server at a different time and end up with opposite results.

I honestly didn't see any performance change when I switched over to DMZPlus on my AT&T router, with about 850mbps down and 900mbps up being the average.

So I had the fiber system installed on Friday afternoon and followed that up with the Google wifi mesh system... amazing.
download= 660+ and upload around 850.
Hows the Mesh working out for your house setup?

Last edited by RichC2; 07-30-19 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hows the Mesh working out for your house setup?
I can't give it enough positive praise. The system reaches every part of my house, outside, etc... I've always used extenders but having the mesh and not having to jump to unique connections has been a huge plus.
Old 07-31-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My internet is slow af.

6Mb down and 512Kb up is what it's suppose to be...

But I usually end up with less than half that when actually trying it out by downloading & uploading or running speed tests.
Old 07-31-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
My internet is slow af.

6Mb down and 512Kb up is what it's suppose to be...

But I usually end up with less than half that when actually trying it out by downloading & uploading or running speed tests.
That's horrible. That's as bad as DSL speeds. How much are you paying for that? What City do you live in? Are there no other options? Or are they too expensive for you?
Old 07-31-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't give it enough positive praise. The system reaches every part of my house, outside, etc... I've always used extenders but having the mesh and not having to jump to unique connections has been a huge plus.
Awesome
Old 07-31-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Moved to a new place and the speed is okay but nothing compared to what some of you have.

BTW, the above was done on Wifi. I'm guessing if it was wired it would be faster, no?

My desktop is not wired as my modem is in the main floor with my TV for the streaming devices and PS4.
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

What's your rated speed?

100 mbps.
After checking out my account, the rated speed should be 150 mbps. I got a WiFi extender on the second floor to speed up the reception upstairs. My daughter's room was getting little to no signal before the extender and now she has solid wifi.
Old 08-02-19, 12:52 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's nonsense. Why "speed envy" at 100 down? Unless you're routinely downloading 500+ GB a day, it shouldn't matter if you've got a 100mbps or a 1000mbps connection. Even 100 mbps gets you about 50 Gigabytes of data *per hour* at full bore! What more could one ask?
That's kinda where I am at this point. I have FIOS 50/50 Mbps and it works fine for my needs. I don't do a lot of streaming.
Old 08-02-19, 06:07 PM
Stealth Moderator

100mbps is adequate for most things, that 10 mbps upload is horrible though.
Yeah, it's the upload that's the real problem. But download is sometimes a problem too. Trying to move large files (300 MB), it can be a pain.
Old 08-02-19, 08:55 PM

Well, the only time 1000 mbps makes sense is if you have 8-band 802.11ac wireless (wi-fi-only) NAS or need to upload LOTS of data into the cloud (which I think is a bad idea, anyway). For routine matters, 100/10 should be enough. Streaming bitrates are shitty anyway -- the bar is set very, very low by the greedy streaming sites. If they were actually full-bitrate h.265 4k streams (eg, 100 to 200 mbps per stream!), THEN you'd need that full Gigabit! Instead, you're lucky if their (shitty, compressed to hell) 4k streams are 1/10th that bandwidth.
Old 08-03-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by namja View Post
Yeah, it's the upload that's the real problem. But download is sometimes a problem too. Trying to move large files (300 MB), it can be a pain.
Yeah, I'm assuming you're on cable with that kind of ratio. Uploading completely kills download speeds so you're kind of screwed in that regard as well.

Big fan of Gig fiber, even if I ultimately only use about 500mbps of it at a time (I'd be fine on the 300mbps plan, but there's no real incentive to downgrade). Just sort of feels like how the internet is supposed to work, though even then games still take a bit (everything seems to be above 50gb these days).

Last edited by RichC2; 08-03-19 at 12:49 PM.