Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How fast is your internet speed?

Old 03-13-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: How fast is your internet speed?

Originally Posted by big e View Post
Comcast is the only other alternative in my area for high speed internet and I've been reluctant to switch over, due to the bad reputation they have, but then I think, they can't be THAT bad, can they?

Yes. Yes they can be that bad. I'd switch in a heartbeat if I could. I get sick of complaining to get a lower rate every 12 months after they jack up my bill/add new charges.

Comcast
Old 07-19-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just moved into our new house. Thank goodness for fiber optic and AT&T.

Old 07-19-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I upgraded to AT&Ts gigabit or whatever recently. It is only about 20 bucks more than my 50MB from TWC/Spectrum was.
Depending on device, I get between 200-700MB. (On my phone upstairs far away from all the wifi points I get maybe 40, but that's my phone.)
Old 07-19-18, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get on average of about 700 across wireless on WiFi. The numbers I posted above are on my wired devices.
Old 12-18-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is for New York Residents that had or have Charter/Spectrum service.

A whopping lawsuit settlement and the biggest yet for a provider to payout to their customers:

Charter-Spectrum reaches $174.2 million settlement in New York AG’s speed fraud lawsuit

Charter Communications, the parent company of Spectrum, has agreed to a $174.2 million settlement with Attorney General Barbara Underwood, following the 2017 lawsuit that saw the AG’s office sue the internet provider over misleading internet speeds. The lawsuit, led by then-Attorney General Eric Schneiderman alleged that speeds were up to 80 percent slower than advertised.

According to the New York Daily News, the $174.2 million payout will come in two forms: $62.5 million that will be refunded to 700,000 active customers (each will get between $75 and $150) and an additional $110 million in free streaming services and premium cable channels distributed to 2.2 million subscribers in New York. According to Underwood, the total settlement adds up to “the largest-ever consumer payout by an internet service provider.”

Per the attorney general’s office, that money will be distributed largely to customers who rented a modem or router from Spectrum, as well as customers subscribing to a legacy Time Warner Cable plan (from before Charter purchased the company) of 100 Mbps or higher. Customers who fit those categories will get $75 back, with an additional $75 to the roughly 150,000 customers who rented an inadequate modem for 24 months or more.

As for the streaming and cable services, Charter will be giving all customers who subscribe to both cable and internet either three free months of HBO or six free months of Showtime. Internet-only customers will get a free month of Charter’s Spectrum TV Choice streaming service and a free month of Showtime.

If you’re eligible for any of the above, expect to hear from Charter sometime in the next 120 days for more information.

Additionally, as noted by Underwood in a series of tweets this morning, the settlement will also require Charter to prove its internet speeds through “industry-accepted testing,” removing any plans that don’t pass muster. It also must be more truthful in its advertising and detail what kinds of speeds users should actually expect.

More info here
Old 12-19-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I moved in the middle of this year and while I had an option for AT&T Gigabit I decided to just get Spectrum since I wanted their cable TV package for the Dodgers local channel and it was easy to just bundle everything. I get similar speeds to the 100 Mbps service I had from Cox. No real complaints here, and has worked fine.

Old 07-02-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Latest speed test

Sometimes during the day in peak traffic it drops down to 45 MBPS.

I pay roughly $71/month for this. I wish I had fibre, but I don't think it's available in my area.
Old 07-02-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-20-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Moved to a new place and the speed is okay but nothing compared to what some of you have.

Old 07-20-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, the above was done on Wifi. I'm guessing if it was wired it would be faster, no?

My desktop is not wired as my modem is in the main floor with my TV for the streaming devices and PS4.
Old 07-20-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
BTW, the above was done on Wifi. I'm guessing if it was wired it would be faster, no?

My desktop is not wired as my modem is in the main floor with my TV for the streaming devices and PS4.
What's your rated speed?

Old 07-20-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

What's your rated speed?

100 mbps.
Old 07-20-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pay for 150/10 and checked the other day due to some problems while playing online and got anywhere from 24/1.5 down to 10/500 kbps. That will not fly. And on top of that, Cox sends me invitations to pay another 10 bucks a month for an even higher speed that I would never get even if I paid for it. I went and swapped out the modem to see if that fixes the problem. It did increase my upload speed quite a bit but still not to the 10. I think I got between 5-6. I really wish they would get their performance up to a consistent level instead of looking for another tier to push on us while we are not even getting the performance we are already paying for.
Old 07-21-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
100 mbps.
Yeah wired would probably be faster.
Old 07-22-19, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As someone who just moved into a new home (with 3 floors mind you), I had a choice between Spectrum and AT&T. I opted for Spectrum as I have no experience with either provider. The service sucks... using an extender on my 3rd floor, I can barely get 5Mbps.

Based on what I'm reading here, it appears most of you would opt for AT&T fiber instead?
Old 07-22-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
As someone who just moved into a new home (with 3 floors mind you), I had a choice between Spectrum and AT&T. I opted for Spectrum as I have no experience with either provider. The service sucks... using an extender on my 3rd floor, I can barely get 5Mbps.

Based on what I'm reading here, it appears most of you would opt for AT&T fiber instead?
1. Yes
2. Hell Yes
3. If you have 3 floors, get a Mesh Wi-fi solution. The wireless routers you get from AT&T and Spectrum are both pretty poor.
4. Make sure it's AT&T Fiber, AT&T DSL is god awful.
Old 07-22-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Rich... I confirmed it is fiber. I'm' having it installed Friday

I have a good modem and a really nice router (Netgear Nighthawk)... would you still go mesh over that? When I first moved in, I had ordered the Google mesh system but, for the life of me, I couldn't get that to connect.
Old 07-22-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great advice from Rich. I would also suggest that you have att install their modem somewhere near the middle of the second floor. That way you can put the main mesh on that spot and satellites on the first and third floor.

Wiring the mesh units together would be the Best option, if practical, and in this situation, it doesn't matter which floor they install the modem
Old 07-22-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have Spectrum also. If AT&T fibre was in my area, I would probably go for it. But, doesn't AT&T have a data cap? Spectrum has no data cap.
Old 07-22-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I have Spectrum also. If AT&T fibre was in my area, I would probably go for it. But, doesn't AT&T have a data cap? Spectrum has no data cap.
There is a fee but it's waived at the moment for the 1000mbps package

Old 07-22-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, 1 Gbps is currently uncapped, and if you have Uverse it's also uncapped.
Old 07-22-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just checked online and I only have Internet 5 and 50 for my area, so so fiber yet. I will not leave Spectrum for those shitty speeds.
Old 07-22-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nor should you. The main reason I hate cable is the shitty upload speed, AT&Ts lower end services also have trash upstream, plus likely slower downstream as well.
Old 07-22-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I opted for the AT&T 1000 and I did go ahead and order the Google mesh from Amazon. That mesh totally replaces my router, correct?
Old 07-22-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I opted for the AT&T 1000 and I did go ahead and order the Google mesh from Amazon. That mesh totally replaces my router, correct?
If you mean your current wireless routers, yes. Base unit from the Mesh Wifi will plug into the AT&T Router.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.