10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting an iPad Air?

Old 10-23-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you getting an iPad Air?

Announced today.

So...are you getting one? Discuss...

I'm not. I have an iPad 3 that's still amazing.
Old 10-23-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are you getting an iPad Air?

If a co-worker decides to buy my iPad 3, yes. If not, then no.
Old 10-23-13, 02:00 AM

I've got an iPad 2, which I'm still happy using. I don't feel the need to upgrade it.

But we've got a laptop on it's last legs. So instead of buying a new one, we're going to replace it with an iPad Air and the Apple Wireless Keyboard.
Old 10-23-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a 64GB iPad4 6 months ago specifically as a long term purchase... (knowing that it would be the last new iPad model sold with a pre-7.0 iOS version)

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I've got an iPad 2, which I'm still happy using. I don't feel the need to upgrade it.

But we've got a laptop on it's last legs. So instead of buying a new one, we're going to replace it with an iPad Air and the Apple Wireless Keyboard.
I have the Apple Wireless Keyboard (w/Origami keyboard case/stand)... very nice, but you then have to buy something to transport it (it doesn't travel well naked). Add an Origami case for it.

I have found that the Logitech UltraThin keyboard cover for the iPad is a great option for easily using the iPad as a tablet or netbook. And it has iPad-specific keys that are lacking on Apple's wireless keyboard. It's a little thing, but it makes a difference.
Old 10-23-13, 08:29 AM

Yes, eventually. I made the mistake of only getting 16gb on my current iPad 3, so I have to upgrade. I'd probably jump on this immediately if it had a fingerprint sensor...thought for sure that would be a feature.
Old 10-23-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'd probably jump on this immediately if it had a fingerprint sensor...thought for sure that would be a feature.
It's not? That's odd.

I just sold my iPad 3 to someone but I never really used it all that much. I don't think there's enough there to make me get one right now. I'm more in the market of a new desktop anyway.
Old 10-23-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not planning on getting a big tablet, but this iPad Air looks really great.

I actually replaced my iPad "3" for a Nexus 7 last year, and really liked that size. I was waiting for for the new iPad Mini to decide between that and the new version of the Nexus 7. The price difference is significant to make me think. If it still was $329 I would choose the mini.
Old 10-23-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No... All Apple products are pricey, I'm perfectly fine with my outdated HP Touch pad at the moment. My next upgrade probably a Nexus 7 2nd gen or the new 7" Kindle Fire HD.
Old 10-23-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know. I got an iPad 2 for Christmas 2011, and it's still fine, except a) I dropped it and the screen cracked and b) I put iOS 7 on it and it's not really cut out for that. I did play around with an iPad Mini at an Apple Store when they first came out and was surprised at how much I liked it. Not sure if I want the larger or smaller.
Old 10-23-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

a mix of different responses above

I have the 16GB iPad 2 and have been low on space (don't feel like moving apps on and off anymore)
My wife has an HP TouchPad I handed down to her so I plan on upgrading my iPad and giving her my iPad 2 ..... sorry but once you have tried the Apple ecosystem/apps store, etc there is no comparison with WebOS (or Android IMO)

my decision now is mainly do I go with the 32GB Air or retina mini
I've never found the regular iPad to be cumbersome so I don't know if I want to loose any of its real estate but I have heard great things about the mini and might just check it out side by side

** disclaimer - my iPad 2 was won in a contest (so not paid for) and when I upgrade it will not be with cash out of pocket but from some incentive points I have saved up .... as much as I love the iPad hardware/software I would not pay the kind of money they want for it new
Old 10-23-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Between my wife's 32GB+LTE and my 64GB wifi only, both of which are 3rd gen, we don't see the need to upgrade at this point. But next year we're probably going to upgrade all our iDevices to the next iteration.
Old 10-23-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, I will probably be getting this. I have the iPad 2 and it's getting a bit glitchy. Plus the microphone no longer works and there is a slight crack in the corner (this is actually not a problem, just bothers my OCD ). The biggest issue is the microphone not working since I use it for Skype with my work. Plus, with as much as I use this thing to watch movies and tv shows, I'm really looking forward to the improved retina display. I'm leaning towards the 32gb cellular one. My current one is 32gb and I don't think I've ever come close to running out of room on it...
Old 10-23-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by musick View Post

I have the 16GB iPad 2 and have been low on space (don't feel like moving apps on and off anymore)
My wife has an HP TouchPad I handed down to her so I plan on upgrading my iPad and giving her my iPad 2 ..... sorry but once you have tried the Apple ecosystem/apps store, etc there is no comparison with WebOS (or Android IMO)
I'm doing the exact same thing. My wife isn't a big fan of the TouchPad since the touch response on them is nowhere near as responsive as the iPad.
Old 10-23-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope, I have a Kindle Fire HD and my girlfriend has an iPad 2 which she's still fine with.
Old 10-23-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No; I'm still fine with my iPad3. If I were to replace it, I would get the new Galaxy 10.1.
Old 10-23-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

in case anyone hasn't seen this

T-Mobile Un-leashes iPad Air Nov. 1 Starting at $0 Down - with Free Data for Life
http://online.wsj.com/article/HUG1737738.html
Old 10-23-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have an iPad Mini that I got 1 year ago. Had to replace it about 1 1/2 months ago after it's hardware was malfunctioning. Luckily I was still under warranty and Apple replaced it for free. Can't see myself needing another one anytime soon.
Old 10-23-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm still rocking the 3G iPad 1st gen! I'm thinking I will upgrade this year, still undecided what size to get. I'm thinking I will probably pair a new 16GB (maybe 32) Mini 2 with a Surface Pro 2 for my portable needs.
Old 10-23-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe.

Need to see one first
Old 10-23-13, 04:15 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yes- iPad 2 has to go . Also I need more capacity - the 16gb is no longer enough
Old 10-23-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No ipad yet, but I use my iphone 4 all the time and would like something bigger. Maybe someday.
Old 10-23-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the new ipad. No reason to upgrade for me, since it does what I need.
Old 10-23-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still love my iPad 2, which is only about two and a half years old. No need to upgrade...
Old 10-23-13, 08:04 PM
Banned by request

iPad 3 is fine. I'll wait for an iPad with Touch ID.
Old 10-23-13, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
if it had a fingerprint sensor...thought for sure that would be a feature.
I strongly suspect they can't make the fingerprint sensors fast enough to fully ramp up iPhone 5S production, so there is no way they can put in the iPad. Once the part is no longer supply constrained - in other words, next year, they will have it for the 2014 iPad models

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.