Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Apple wifi extended signal advice please

Old 10-21-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apple wifi extended signal advice please

I've been using an Apple AirPort Extreme base station for my home wireless connections. I now need to increase the signal to the other side of the house a bit. I bought an AirPort Express. How do I set the express up as an extender? Thanks!
Old 10-21-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Apple wifi extended signal advice please

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259
Old 10-21-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Bang! I tried those instructions before you posted them and they did not work for me. I had to keep resetting my main router. Took a chance and called Apple Tech Support. After a short 5 minute wait they had me set it up using my iPhone and it works great. Wish they had put those easy to follow instructions on their site. It was far less complicated.

In case anyone else runs into the same issue I called tech support at 800-275-2273.

P.S. One thing Apple tech support did tell me was that Best Buy sold me an AirPort Express that was outdated. They look the same as the current models but the serial number was from 2012. They wanted to charge me for support but I convinced them to hook me up for free.

Last edited by kayak99; 10-21-13 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-25-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a massive pain in the ass for me to extend by Airport Extreme. After firmware updates and a lot of trial and error, what is supposed to be trivial finally worked.

Now, the Airport Express just goes amber and stops working and I need to reboot the main Extreme bas station every now and then.