Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Has your company failed to upgrade their computers/operating system?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-10-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Short answer for me, Yes

I freelance at NFL Network and for a billion dollar corporation, they are way behind the times on their computers. It's mind boggling.

All the work computers in the production area and in the control rooms are Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6. You cannot work with such a dated system.

They are slow as shit. I mean don't these computers need regular software updates to keep them functioning properly? Seems like they just don't care.

I mean seriously, for anyone here who works in IT, how expensive is it for a corporation to upgrade the operating system to Windows 7 and the browsers to IE 10?
Old 10-10-13, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Re: Has your company failed to upgrade their computers/operating system?

Well, if they are slow on XP and IE6, upgrading the software probably is not going to help, you need a hardware overhaul. A lot of bigger companies stuck with XP for a long time as it was fairly reliable and easy to manage.
Old 10-10-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My computer was finally upgraded to win 7 a few months ago. They would have to do so before end of support next year
Old 10-10-13, 09:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I guarantee... when MS drops support for XP in April 2014, and hackers unleash a flood of viruses, malware, etc., all those people/corporations who hung on to their 13-year-old operating system are going to blame Microsoft because "LOL Windows is a virus," and it will be immediately followed by an assault of ads from Apple and Google, reminding everyone how terrible MS is at supporting their products, regardless of the fact that those companies barely support their own software past 3 years (if that). It will be glorious.

But to answer the original question... my employer has pretty much upgraded to Windows 7 and Office 2010 or 2013 across the board. Computers that don't go online or are extremely limited in their networking functionality may still be on XP, depending on other factors as well. I imagine there will be a bunch of upgrades to Windows 8.1 in the next year or two, but Windows 8, as originally released, was never going to be adopted.
Old 10-11-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My company works with a bunch of subcompanies & some PCs are still on XP because the subcompanies's software won't work on Win 7 (nobody has 8 yet) & they don't want to spend the $$ to update their software.
Old 10-11-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My old firm was great about the computers. We had nice Lenovo Thinkpads that were upgraded every two years, and we were also given Lenovo portable external monitors for fieldwork. It was a pretty awesome set up and always impressed the clients.

Now I work at a university and I was given a 4-5 year old pretty crappy Dell laptop that's changed hands who knows how many times. Sub-optimal resolution and the brightness/color combo hurts my eyes. At least we have docking stations with big monitors.

I must say I'm shocked to learn the NFL still uses XP. Although one of my buddies works for a tech company is also on XP, which is even more inexplicable. At least I'm on Windows 7.
Old 10-11-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I took a SANS class last year and while I knew how crappy Windows XP was, I didn't realize it was THAT bad (even SP3 has massive holes in it). I came back and basically forced our CTO to upgrade.

That said, we still have plenty of people on Windows XP. It works, people are familiar with it, so people stay with it.
Old 10-11-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The company I work for has around 130,000 users worldwide, and we only started migrating our users to Windows 7 about 4 months ago. We're 40% complete with the roll-out so far. The remaining 60% are still on the old standard - XP SP3 with IE7.

It all depends on the company and the existing software and infrastructure, and it doesn't necessarily have to be about the money.
It may seem ridiculous that it's taken so long, but you have to take into account the amount of software testing that needs to be done - especially with in-house applications and intranet sites that will need to be updated or re-written from scratch. Plus the build process for loading the machines needs to be created. Nevermind that there are some infrastructure changes required as well.

It's one thing to update your machine at home, but it can be a daunting task in the enterprise - especially for a large company with a big user base and many different software/hardware variables to contend with.

I don't know the details of the NFL Network and how big a task it would be for them to upgrade everyone. Is there some testing at least being done?

Last edited by Coral; 10-12-13 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mainly legacy applications. Requires extensive testing in new OS before you can go live with it. You can't just decide to upgrade everyone and expect things to work like before.
Old 10-11-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Working in IT at my old job, we moved to Windows 7 pretty quickly from a mix of XP/Vista. But it helps that we were on about a ~1-2 year upgrade cycle and our developers were frequently updated to the latest hardware on a regular basis. With most stuff in house, we were able to work with our internal application developers to ensure compatibility with tools.

I can see why the rollouts would be slow though. For the most part, its hard to justify the time to upgrade existing machines versus replacing them with new ones, and even it can be tough to support.
Old 10-11-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very large company, and only in the past month have they begun moving people to Windows 7.
Old 10-11-13, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still about 50/50 but XP for workstations and 7 for travel laptops. Not sure what plan is, probably new workstations next year.

There are probably some banks out there still using Windows 2000. Now that's scary.

Comment on WU: Damn, I wish MS would simplify the update process like just download IE10.4.8 instead of getting 75 individual patches for IE10.
Old 10-12-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes, it's hilariously bad, but I work for the government, so it is expected.

We get brand new Dell i5 and i7 laptops with Windows 7, but they revert them back to Windows XP. I have a Windows 7 sticker on the laptop, which makes me laugh every time I see it. Fortunately, we are doing an upgrade soon to 7, but sheesh, a bit behind the times. We are also still running IE6.
Old 10-12-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My second job maintains several XP and Mac OS 9 workstations for some legacy hardware (one of which is still on NT 3.51!) and software that still produces sellable, profitable printed materials. They aren't used for any internet browsing, but things like FTP and e-mail of course still work just fine. Most people are on 7 and OS X 10.6+, however.

I think we have one remaining XP workstation at my primary job, which is most often used for scanning paperwork. Everyone else is on 7 or 8, and my Mac is on OS X 10.6.8 (with no plans to upgrade any time soon, since I still need Rosetta for a few things).
Old 10-14-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yes, it's hilariously bad, but I work for the government, so it is expected.

We get brand new Dell i5 and i7 laptops with Windows 7, but they revert them back to Windows XP. I have a Windows 7 sticker on the laptop, which makes me laugh every time I see it. Fortunately, we are doing an upgrade soon to 7, but sheesh, a bit behind the times. We are also still running IE6.
yeah, I work for the govt as well, and we buy machines with 7 or 8 and have to roll back to XP. My multi-thousand dollar Xeon workstation with 12 gigs of RAM has been running XP 32bit for the last year or so. We're supposed to upgraded to 8 (64 bit!) by the end of the year.
Old 10-14-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
That reminds me of my old company when we had desktops installed with Win98 but our IT reverted back to Win95 because they were not supporting the newer OS in '99.
Old 10-14-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I work for a nationwide non-profit and we upgraded across the board to Windows 7 and Office 2010 a couple of years ago. We're still using IE8, though, due to compatibility issues with some older software.
Old 10-14-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"failed"

That's priceless

Yes, almost any company that is worried about profit will "fail" to upgrade computer equipment until absolutely necessary.

If XP is doing the job, why replace it? and face it, for most people in a typical office, XP does the job **security risks aside**

I would say the only reason my company is upgrading in mass is for security reasons and even then, most business managers are fighting it due to cost.

It's all about balance and perspective and what your goal is.

I remember paying microsoft huge $$$ to continue to get support for Windows NT 4 when it went end of life (you can pay per month to continue to get security updates and patches if you want to)

NT 4 did the job, and in many cases was still required for the job, and cost to pay for EOL updates was less than the cost to update the OS, so it made business sense.

but to any company that has the cashflow to keep current 'just because' I would love to work in that situation again
Old 10-14-13, 02:27 PM

Our work computer system two things working against it being as good as it can be: our budget is too small and our volunteers who have the time and know-how in setting all of this up are too taxed to prioritize it.

We need a stronger network, we need a new networked server, and we need at least one new machine for our most used and necessary computer because I don't care how new it is or how new the software is, it's clearly a lemon because things simply don't work. It's also out of range of the wifi so we can't fix it from where it is with upgrades online until someone has time to take it out, do it, and put it back correctly.

I could probably do it all if I could stop the world for 48 hours and do nothing else. I'm tempted to ask someone else to take over everything I'm doing at work for a couple days, find some magic money in the budget, and just frickin' do it. It's an issue that's out of sight, out of mind for five days a week and then once a week everyone is like, "Gosh, why haven't we fixed this?" Not the biggest problem in the world but frustrating, for sure.
Old 10-14-13, 03:02 PM

The bigger the company, the bigger the effort. Most companies have a shitload of little pieces of software here and there, and not all of them work with the upgrade. I still have a VM running Windows XP and IE6 just so I can access one program.

And that's not even counting the user base. There's a lot of people who only know Windows XP and who are otherwise computer illiterate, so getting them transitioned can be a help desk nightmare. "Where did my start button go?!"

And I can relate! I only have one computer in my house with Windows 8 (my son's) and I have to Google everything. "Need to close a program...yeah, clicking an 'X' in the upper-right made entirely too much sense, so we've replaced it with a hand that you use to pull the application down from the top of the screen." WTF?
Old 10-14-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Our Dept. still uses an IBM I-series mainframe. We have brand new Windows 7 desktops but have to run ancient TN5250 terminal emulation software to do all our work.

Last edited by covenant; 10-14-13 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thread inspired me to wipe XP from my home PC and install Vista since I had a copy sitting around. Vista's not too bad. But yeah win7 is so much nicer.
Old 10-15-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
My computer was finally upgraded to win 7 a few months ago. They would have to do so before end of support next year
Same here. Still running Office 2010 but finally on Win7.
Old 10-15-13, 12:19 PM
Admin-Thanos

My company upgraded all laptops and most desktops to Win 7/Office 2010 about 2 years ago. Those desktops that were not replaced had their RAM beefed up to 4Gig so they could run Win 7 comfortably. We needed it to implement bitlocker for HIPAA security purposes. Now that it's in place I'm betting that we'll skip Win 8 entirely. I'd be happy if we did as it's really annoying to work with if you're not using a tablet or touchscreen.
Old 10-15-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

< MAJOR Media and Entertainment Company.

I was just speaking with an IT guy here about this very topic. It would seem out company has a "We'll replace it when it costs us money because it's failed or when it finally catches fire and not a moment sooner" mentality. Of course if you're a heavy hitter in our company you get the best and latest no questions asked.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.