Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

When will laptops get super-high DPI screens?

Old 10-07-13, 06:07 PM
Banned

When will laptops get super-high DPI screens?

Apple released the Retina iPad, and now every tablet has a super-high DPI screen.

The Macbook Pro has a Retina screen now. Will Windows-based laptops soon follow?
Old 10-07-13, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Re: When will laptops get super-high DPI screens?

Plenty of laptops already have 1080p and higher resolution screens.
Old 10-07-13, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Plenty of laptops already have 1080p and higher resolution screens.
Resolution and DPI aren't exactly the same thing. A 1080p 50" screen and a 1080p 20" screen don't have the same DPI.

So when I say a super-high DPI laptop I mean one that would have 200+ DPI. A 1080p 15.6" laptop has a DPI of 141. That's only slightly higher than the original iPad which had a resolution of 1024x768 on a 9.7" screen with a DPI of 132.

The Macbook Pro with Retina has a resolution of 2880x1800 on a 15.4" screen which gives a DPI of 220. I'm not aware of any Windows-based laptop that comes anywhere close to that resolution or DPI.
Old 10-07-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New Toshiba and Samsung laptops are supposed to come with 2560x1440 screens. Kirabook and Samsung Series 9.

Dell just announced a 3200x1800 XPS 15. http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/de...top-8C11326594

But i'm not sure if any of these are actually out yet. Although Windows scaling still sucks, but 8.1 is supposed to help with 200% scaling.
Old 10-07-13, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
New Toshiba and Samsung laptops are supposed to come with 2560x1440 screens. Kirabook and Samsung Series 9.

Dell just announced a 3200x1800 XPS 15. http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/de...top-8C11326594

But i'm not sure if any of these are actually out yet. Although Windows scaling still sucks, but 8.1 is supposed to help with 200% scaling.
Whoa. Thanks for that. That Dell XPS 15 is exactly what I wanted. By my calculation that's a 235 DPI screen. DPI makes a huge difference for digital reading, like with digital books and comics. Its a night and day difference reading comics on a non-Retina iPad versus a Retina iPad. I just want the same thing on a Windows laptop, and now I might finally be able to get it. (I realize that the Surface Pro tablet has a ~200 DPI as well, but I want a full sized laptop.)
Old 10-07-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Searching further, I guess there's some other laptops out there with that resolution.

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus. Here's a review - http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/30/s...9-plus-review/
Old 10-07-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know Asus is coming out with a high resoution notebook, as well. I think it launches sometime this month, maybe to coincide with the Windows 8.1 launch.
Old 10-07-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder why Apple had to bring it mainstream before many other laptop makers started to released better displays. I know desktops have had high ppi screens for years not too sure about laptops, at least nothing too mainstream.
Old 10-08-13, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
I wonder why Apple had to bring it mainstream before many other laptop makers started to released better displays.
I don't know, but it was like that with tablets too. Apple was first to market with the 264 DPI Retina iPad 3. Then Google later came out with the 300 DPI Nexus 10. Now every tablet has 200+ DPI.

Remember when the iPad Mini came out with the same 1024x768 screen used in the iPads 1 and 2 and everyone was complaining. Although being smaller than the iPad makes the DPI higher of the Mini higher. (132 DPI for the iPad 1 and 2 versus 164 DPI for the Mini.) Nobody will ever settle for lowly less than 200 DPI tablets anymore.

I know desktops have had high ppi screens for years not too sure about laptops, at least nothing too mainstream.
Really? What desktop has a high DPI? The highest I am aware of is Apple's 27" iMac with a 2560x1440 screen. That's only a 109 DPI screen though. A 1600x900 17.3" laptop has a 106 DPI.
Old 10-08-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
I don't know, but it was like that with tablets too. Apple was first to market with the 264 DPI Retina iPad 3. Then Google later came out with the 300 DPI Nexus 10. Now every tablet has 200+ DPI.

Remember when the iPad Mini came out with the same 1024x768 screen used in the iPads 1 and 2 and everyone was complaining. Although being smaller than the iPad makes the DPI higher of the Mini higher. (132 DPI for the iPad 1 and 2 versus 164 DPI for the Mini.) Nobody will ever settle for lowly less than 200 DPI tablets anymore.

Really? What desktop has a high DPI? The highest I am aware of is Apple's 27" iMac with a 2560x1440 screen. That's only a 109 DPI screen though. A 1600x900 17.3" laptop has a 106 DPI.
"What desktop" doesn't really make sense since most PCs are pieced together and many do not come with monitors. 2560x1600 and 2560x1440 resolution monitors are quite common these days, it's a common resolution for PC gamers as well. However, most computers out there support the resolution. DPI generally isn't as critical on a laptop or monitor since we tend to sit a good bit further back than we do with a tablet or phone.

A big issue with high resolution on PC laptops has been scaling. It was terrible in XP, bad in Vista and 7, and is just now solid in Windows 8 (but only in Metro)

Last edited by RichC2; 10-08-13 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-08-13, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
"What desktop" doesn't really make sense since most PCs are pieced together and many do not come with monitors.
Yeah, I meant to say desktop monitor.

2560x1600 and 2560x1440 resolution monitors are quite common these days, it's a common resolution for PC gamers as well. However, most computers out there support the resolution. DPI generally isn't as critical on a laptop or monitor since we tend to sit a good bit further back than we do with a tablet or phone.
Yeah, I was just saying desktop monitors don't have really high DPI. Even if there was a 3200x1800 27" monitor out there, that would only be 135 DPI which would be only slightly above the 132 DPI of the first two non-Retina iPads.

Like I said before, DPI is critical for digital reading, like with digital books or comics. Try reading a comic on a non-Retina iPad and then on a Retina iPad. Its a night and day difference. Text is blurry on the low DPI screen and you have to zoom in to read. Text is crystal clear with no zooming needed on a high DPI screen. My primary reason for wanting a very high DPI on a laptop is precisely for reading digital comics. On my current 1366x768 15.6" laptop with 100 DPI the text is blurry and hard to read without zooming.
Old 10-08-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a lot more to it than just DPI in that case, including the native resolution of your source material.

But I tend to agree that the iPad's original resolution was lackluster, and distance of viewing does play a huge part in all of this.
Old 10-08-13, 09:07 AM
Banned

There is a lot more to it than just DPI in that case, including the native resolution of your source material.
The resolution of the source material doesn't matter that much as far as clarity of text matters.

I bought a Nook HD+ when they dropped to $149. I read some older low resolution comic scans on it, and the text was crystal clear. Some of the art detail is lost in a low res scan, but the text was clear and easy to read.

I ended up returning the Nook though because I didn't like it that much. Double page spreads require you to flip the tablet in landscape mode, and then it just becomes a bit too small for my old eyes.

That and the lack of storage are my main reasons for wanting a bigger laptop. With nearly 200 GB of comics there simply isn't a tablet with enough hard drive space for me.

But I tend to agree that the iPad's original resolution was lackluster, and distance of viewing does play a huge part in all of this.
I agree. Large HDTVs have very low DPI but since you sit so far away it doesn't matter. Since reading digital comics is my primary concern for wanting a better laptop, DPI does matter though. Nobody reads a book or comic from a foot away. Its a very close distance.
Old 10-08-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taffer View Post

I was thinking of a monitor, likely not all too common. For awhile laptop resolutions have gotten worse, be nice to see them get better or at least 1080P even with smaller systems.
Old 10-08-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't read all the responses, but be careful with Windows and high DPI, it has terrible scaling. This was one of my big problems with Surface Pro. OSX is much better for high DPI.
Old 10-08-13, 04:39 PM
Banned by request

IMO, a high DPI tablet is your best bet for reading comics. The aspect ratio of laptops force a double page spread layout for comics, and I always feel like it's too small. The iPad retina is the perfect size, and for true double page spreads you can just turn the tablet horizontally.

I have a Lenovo 15" laptop with a 1080p screen and a 13" Macbook Air (which has a notoriously low res display for a modern laptop), and unless I'm going back and forth between the two, I don't notice a difference.
Old 10-08-13, 05:28 PM
Banned

IMO, a high DPI tablet is your best bet for reading comics. The aspect ratio of laptops force a double page spread layout for comics, and I always feel like it's too small. The iPad retina is the perfect size, and for true double page spreads you can just turn the tablet horizontally.
I mentioned in post #13 that I tried a Nook HD+. I didn't like it for reasons I mentioned of landscape double page viewing being too small for my eyes as well as the lack of storage (with 200 GB of comics even a 128 GB tablet just won't cut it).

Also the height of a 15.6" laptop screen is exactly the same as the Nook HD+ or iPad.

A 16:9 15.6" laptop has screen dimensions of 13.6" x 7.65".
A 4:3 9.7" iPad has screen dimensions of 7.76" x 5.82".
The 9" Nook HD+ has a strange 3:2 ratio with screen dimensions of 7.5" x 5.0".
An actual comic book for comparison's sake has dimensions of 10.25" x 6.625".

So the 15.6" laptop gives a height of 7.65" and the iPad and Nook both in portrait mode are within a tenth of an inch of that. So there's really no difference when viewing comics in single page mode. All three are about 75% the size of an actual comic book.

The difference comes with double page spreads. A laptop you don't need to flip, but the iPad and Nook need flipped to landscape mode. The laptop has the clear advantage here because the comic dimensions won't change, but with the tablets the image is reduced to a height of about 5". That's 50% the size of an actual comic book. To my old eyes with poor eyesight, that's just too small even with these super high Retina-like DPIs.

So really a laptop with a Retina-like DPI would be the best since you won't have to flip it and reduce the size of double page spreads.

I have a Lenovo 15" laptop with a 1080p screen and a 13" Macbook Air (which has a notoriously low res display for a modern laptop), and unless I'm going back and forth between the two, I don't notice a difference.
That 13" Macbook has a 1440x900 resolution? If so, that's a 128 DPI. A 1920x1080 15.6" laptop has a 141 DPI. The DPIs are too close, so that's why you don't see much difference. For comparison, the iPad 1 and 2 had a 132 DPI, so its about the same as the two laptops.

My 1366x768 15.6" laptop is a 100 even DPI. Dialogue boxes I can generally read fine without zooming on them. Narration boxes tend to be a smaller font, and they are generally too blurry to read without zooming. An example of a narration box would be like in the New 52 Batman #1 where Bruce is talking about the "Gotham is..." article at the beginning of the comic.
Old 10-08-13, 07:33 PM
Banned by request

But I can't comfortably hold a laptop and manipulate it as easily as a tablet, including zooming.

I understand why you prefer a laptop, but I definitely prefer a tablet specifically for comics. As for storing comics, I have external drives for those. I keep about 25 GB of comics on my tablet at any given time, which is a ton of comic books.
Old 10-08-13, 08:02 PM
Banned

But I can't comfortably hold a laptop and manipulate it as easily as a tablet, including zooming.

I understand why you prefer a laptop, but I definitely prefer a tablet specifically for comics. As for storing comics, I have external drives for those. I keep about 25 GB of comics on my tablet at any given time, which is a ton of comic books.
I don't need to hold a laptop. I have a TV dinner tray table that I set it on and use it while I lounge on the couch.

You can't use an external drive on a tablet unless it has a USB port. Most of the popular tablets, like the iPad and Nexus, don't have USB ports.
Old 10-08-13, 08:50 PM
Banned by request

Somehow, there must be some way to move data from an external drive to a tablet...

I'll quit arguing about it. You have your preferences and I have mine.
Old 10-08-13, 09:09 PM
Banned

Somehow, there must be some way to move data from an external drive to a tablet...

I'll quit arguing about it. You have your preferences and I have mine.
How? I'm not trying to argue about it. I'm genuinely curious how you could use an external hard drive with the iPad. The biggest reason I never wanted an iPad is because of its lack of ports. How do you use an external hard drive if there are no ports?

The 4:3 ratio of the iPad fits the double page spreads of comics much better than any 16:10 or 16:9 tablet.

(An actual printed comic book is 10.25" x 6.625" so a single page is a 1.55 ratio, but a double page spread doubles the width so that becomes 10.25" x 13.25" which is a 1.29 ratio. So you get black bars on the side in portrait mode because a single comic page is actually a bit narrower than the iPad's 1.33 ratio, but a double page spread fills out almost the entire screen in landscape mode. Widescreen Android tablets have a 1.6 or 1.77 ratio which really hurts on double page spreads since the comic image ends up being a lot smaller with black bars taking up empty space.)
Old 10-08-13, 09:25 PM
Banned by request

Use a PC to manage data transfers to and from the tablet. As I said, I keep about 25 GB of comics on there at any given time, so I'm never without something interesting to read. When I find I'm done with one series, I can delete it from the tablet and load another the next time I'm at my computer.
Old 10-08-13, 09:37 PM
Banned

Using a PC is cheating. The question was how to connect an iPad to an external hard drive. Using a PC as a middleman is cheating.

I don't really need two computers (i.e. a laptop and iPad both). If I got an iPad, I would most likely get rid of my laptop. My computer needs are really basic, just casual internet surfing basically, so I don't need two redundant devices for the same purpose. So I would like to be able to connect an iPad to an external drive with no middleman.
Old 10-08-13, 09:47 PM
Banned by request

I've had iPads since the first one, and I would not use one as a full time computer replacement, but I'm more of a power user than you are.
Old 10-08-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seems odd to me to not have some sort of desktop or laptop in addition to a tablet, which makes having mass storage less of an issue

I suppose you could get a NAS that's accessible.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.