Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Verizon allowing you to keep unlimited data on upgrades again?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-28-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was doing a mock order to see what Verizon's system would say when I tried to upgrade my unlimited data line, and nowhere did it mention loss of unlimited data. This is straight from their website, no loophole or anything. Anyone else see this?

Old 09-28-13, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Re: Is Verizon allowing you to keep unlimited data on upgrades again?

Have you called them to ask? I would not trust the website, frankly.
Old 09-28-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Have you called them to ask? I would not trust the website, frankly.
Personally, if the website says so, they will honor it, as to do otherwise would be bait and switch. Worse case, they would just make you return it. This is more for individual users, as family line can always transfer to upgrade
Old 09-28-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also posted on DL

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/28...a/#more-120830
Old 09-28-13, 09:31 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Personally, if the website says so, they will honor it, as to do otherwise would be bait and switch. Worse case, they would just make you return it. This is more for individual users, as family line can always transfer to upgrade
Yes, but who knows what kind of hoops you'll have to jump through in order to reinstate your unlimited if they accidentally remove it.
Old 09-28-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Yes, but who knows what kind of hoops you'll have to jump through in order to reinstate your unlimited if they accidentally remove it.
Some people are will to take the risk to save $350ish, but if you don't want the potential hassle, then don't do it. This is as close to zero risk as you can get. Take screen shots of every page and keep the email confirmation which would include mention of unlimited

For any members on the forum interested in this, I can personally guarantee that you will either get to keep unlimited with upgrade or get a full refund and unlimited reinstated . I will assist anyone who has an issue by calling on their behalf, if anyone needs my help.

Btw this is on AC as well, and they used my screen shots.

http://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-...ted-data-plans

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 09-28-13 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some people are will to take the risk to save $350ish, but if you don't want the potential hassle, then don't do it. This is as close to zero risk as you can get. Take screen shots of every page and keep the email confirmation which would include mention of unlimited

For any members on the forum interested in this, I can personally guarantee that you will either get to keep unlimited with upgrade or get a full refund and unlimited reinstated . I will assist anyone who has an issue by calling on their behalf, if anyone needs my help.

I just upgraded to an LG G2. The checkout process mentioned unlimited data exactly once, and there was no mention of it on the final screen or in my confirmation email. I took a screenshot of the screen where it was mentioned, but it's feeling a little iffy right now. Hoping it works out, obviously. The only reason I upgraded right now was because of the ability to keep unlimited data on my account.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-29-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$2.99/month for visual voicemail? Really?
Old 09-29-13, 02:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

what do you mean about full refund and unlimitd reinstated? i want to do this...my new plan goes into effect once i activate new phone. i have yet to do so...

what can i do?

**edit** so basically pay full retail price for phone and you keep unlimited...
Old 09-30-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
what do you mean about full refund and unlimitd reinstated? i want to do this...my new plan goes into effect once i activate new phone. i have yet to do so...

what can i do?

**edit** so basically pay full retail price for phone and you keep unlimited...

You have several options:
1. Activate on the 2GB plan, then call in, some have reported that Verizon has reinstated their unlimited data.

2. Call into Verizon and ask them to switch you to the 6gb/$30 plan. This is not a listed plan, but I have read that some people have been able to get it.

3. Return the phone, and reorder with unlimited. You would have to pay the restocking fee when you do the return, since you ordered before this glitch. I don't know how long the promo will last. Some reported that it was dead yesterday sometime, but as of this morning, I tried, and it still worked. I have read report that someone was able to order for in-store pickup and the csr left unlimited on the plan.

Keep in mind, the only sure fire way of keeping unlimited is to pay full retail.
Old 09-30-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2. Call into Verizon and ask them to switch you to the 6gb/$30 plan. This is not a listed plan, but I have read that some people have been able to get it.
I've still got the email..

Hi ..., did you know you use less than an average of 2 GB of data each month? Upgrade today and get Verizon Max — 6GB of data for only $30 monthly access — more than you need to share photos, stream videos and stay connected. Just another reason why more people stay with Verizon than any other network.
Old 09-30-13, 12:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

1. Activate on the 2GB plan, then call in, some have reported that Verizon has reinstated their unlimited data.

3. Return the phone, and reorder with unlimited. You would have to pay the restocking fee when you do the return, since you ordered before this glitch. I don't know how long the promo will last. Some reported that it was dead yesterday sometime, but as of this morning, I tried, and it still worked. I have read report that someone was able to order for in-store pickup and the csr left unlimited on the plan.

Keep in mind, the only sure fire way of keeping unlimited is to pay full retail.
thanks D. just gonna stick with the 2GB. i've never used more than that, so i should be ok. they wanted me to pay full retail like you said. no other options when i went in during lunch. so i should be good. thanks for listing those out for me though.
Old 09-30-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stevevt View Post
I just upgraded to an LG G2. The checkout process mentioned unlimited data exactly once, and there was no mention of it on the final screen or in my confirmation email. I took a screenshot of the screen where it was mentioned, but it's feeling a little iffy right now. Hoping it works out, obviously. The only reason I upgraded right now was because of the ability to keep unlimited data on my account.

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like Verizon so honor it

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/30...on-will-honor/
Old 09-30-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
thanks D. just gonna stick with the 2GB. i've never used more than that, so i should be ok. they wanted me to pay full retail like you said. no other options when i went in during lunch. so i should be good. thanks for listing those out for me though.
You could try calling in and asking if they would reinstate unlimited data. I have heard of someone having luck. If that doesn't work, ask to see if they can give you a better tier, say that your friend war able to get 6gb for $30,and ask if you could get the same.

You might not use over 2gb now, but later you never know, you may use more, so it doesn't hurt to ask now when you still have our can revert to unlimited.
Old 09-30-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So honor it!

Old 10-02-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As predicted by some here and hoped by me, the receipt I got with my phone today and my account online both state unlimited data.

No complaints on the deal, and the phone seems pretty good. Accessories, especially cases, seem a bit hard to find. The Diztronic case I'm probably goingn to get isn't coming out for another week. I'm also thinking I'll get a Qi inductive charger for it, just because I can. Before I had read much about it, I was assuming it wouldn't work with a case, but apparently they work fine through the kind of case I'd be getting.