Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: iPhone, Android or Other?
iPhone
47.50%
Android
47.50%
Other
0%
What are you high?
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

iPhone, Android or Other?

Old 09-28-13, 10:20 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

iPhone, Android or Other?

so which phone do you use and any particular reason why?

i use iPhone. having come from using a Droid 2 as 1st smartphone and then going to iPhone 4s, i can hands down say i love the iPhone much more. mostly for its simplicity and sleek style...

still Android system is pretty good too...
Old 09-28-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: iPhone, Android or Other?

Galaxy S3. Android phones in the past were extremely hit or miss but they seem to have finally reached parity across the different brands and models for the most part. Performance issues and crashes seem to be a thing of the past from Summer '12 onward.

Like the customization, that you can run and associate ("Set as Default") any app with just about anything, the fact I can change the way it looks and feels on a whim just by installing a launcher, that system apps are updated by the store - not through full system updates only, etc; It looks and feels like a full operating system on a portable device.

The iPhone has come a long way since I owned one, I still find them a bit boring but they are extremely well made devices.
Old 09-28-13, 10:27 AM
Banned

Flip phone. I have no use for a smart phone.
Old 09-28-13, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
my sister and father still use the flip. my sister got a new 4s iPhone over a week ago...still in the box, unactivated.
Old 09-28-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My parents have a Motorola Razr flip phone that they can barely operate.

...But I bought my mom an iPad 2 a year and a half ago, and I actually think she'd be better off with an iPhone at this point.
Old 09-28-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

iPhone. It's my first smartphone and I only switched, because I was paying what I am paying now for unlimited texting/data, what I was paying for the smart phone. It made sense to get one and switch to a new carrier.

I love it.
Old 09-28-13, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
My parents have a Motorola Razr flip phone that they can barely operate.

...But I bought my mom an iPad 2 a year and a half ago, and I actually think she'd be better off with an iPhone at this point.
we got my mom an iPhone and she can operate it better than her desktop PC. no joke.
Old 09-28-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Android. Nexus 4, specifically. I had an iPhone 4 for work for about a year (carried two phones), and ended up annoyed quite often at iOS' limitations.
Old 09-28-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, we got my mom an iPhone, too, and just switched the language mode to Spanish. I'm not sure if she's mastered the use of it completely, but I have seen her tinkering with it. This is actually her first cellular phone. She went her whole life, up until now, without a cellular phone. That's unheard of, because cellular phones are very popular in the Latino community.
Old 09-28-13, 11:06 AM
Admin-Thanos

Moving to Tech Talk
Old 09-28-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
My fiancée thought the same thing. Last upgrade she got an Android smartphone and loves it. I have had an Android smartphone for a few years. iPhone was more than I wanted to pay plus I use an iPod Touch so it's kinda like having an iPhone
Old 09-28-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II. Size is the main reason, though it is more customizable as well. I can use hotspot for free without root on my unlimited data plan as well as simultaneous voice and data over 4GLTE. Though admittedly I rarely use those.
Old 09-28-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Android for life.
Old 09-28-13, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
My fiancée thought the same thing. Last upgrade she got an Android smartphone and loves it. I have had an Android smartphone for a few years. iPhone was more than I wanted to pay plus I use an iPod Touch so it's kinda like having an iPhone
I don't just think I have no use for a smartphone; I know that I have no use for one.

I don't care about game apps or any other app. My laptop does everything I want, which is internet and Office. I see no reason why I need internet on my phone. A flip phone does everything I want out of a phone, which is to make phone calls.
Old 09-28-13, 02:43 PM
Banned by request

I've been all over the map. iPhones and Android jumping back and forth all over the place. They're both mobile operating systems. I've been considering going back to the iPhone, but two things stop me.

First is the screen size. I can't think of any other major phone manufacturer making their flagship phones as small as the iPhone. I know the argument is that the size makes the phone always usable with just one hand, but I would say the majority of phone owners have both hands available to them most of the time.

Second is the keyboard. Apple hasn't updated or changed their keyboard since the first iPhone. Their system of autocorrect is ancient and frequently interrupts the flow of typing. There are so many better solutions out there, but they're all for Android.

Obviously the big draw of Android is that it's so modular and customizable. Don't like the stock keyboard? Download another one! Lock screen, taskbar, app drawer not to your taste? They're all replaceable. You can really make Android whatever you want it to be. However, you may start to see problems from using so many third party apps instead of the system assets, excessive battery drain or other problems. Apple will never have those kind of problems, but if you don't like an aspect of the system, tough titty.

iOS still gets apps that aren't on Android, or are better implemented on iOS (this isn't true in every case, but in enough that it's noticeable). Google's apps are better for Android, of course. Also accessory makers definitely focus on iPhones more than Android.

The other issue is the non-replaceable battery and lack of expandable storage (and the exorbitant price hike to go up 16 GB in iPhones). However, the Nexus line also lacks both of these things, and I never hear owners of Nexus products complain.

I keep dancing around the idea of switching over to the 5S, although even if I really wanted to it sounds like none are in stock anywhere at the moment.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-28-13 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looking at a Note III, but I have to admit, I still like the portability and simpleness of a flip phone.
Old 09-28-13, 03:56 PM
Admin-Thanos

I use currently use an iPhone, but I'm leaving for an Android device when my contract is up the December. The lack of customization of an iPhone and certain apps for my work are the main reasons I'm leaving. My work is giving me an iPhone for corporate email, so I guess I'll still have both types of OS in the end anyway.
Old 09-28-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I've been all over the map. iPhones and Android jumping back and forth all over the place. They're both mobile operating systems. I've been considering going back to the iPhone, but two things stop me.

First is the screen size. I can't think of any other major phone manufacturer making their flagship phones as small as the iPhone. I know the argument is that the size makes the phone always usable with just one hand, but I would say the majority of phone owners have both hands available to them most of the time.

Second is the keyboard. Apple hasn't updated or changed their keyboard since the first iPhone. Their system of autocorrect is ancient and frequently interrupts the flow of typing. There are so many better solutions out there, but they're all for Android.

Obviously the big draw of Android is that it's so modular and customizable. Don't like the stock keyboard? Download another one! Lock screen, taskbar, app drawer not to your taste? They're all replaceable. You can really make Android whatever you want it to be. However, you may start to see problems from using so many third party apps instead of the system assets, excessive battery drain or other problems. Apple will never have those kind of problems, but if you don't like an aspect of the system, tough titty.

iOS still gets apps that aren't on Android, or are better implemented on iOS (this isn't true in every case, but in enough that it's noticeable). Google's apps are better for Android, of course. Also accessory makers definitely focus on iPhones more than Android.

The other issue is the non-replaceable battery and lack of expandable storage (and the exorbitant price hike to go up 16 GB in iPhones). However, the Nexus line also lacks both of these things, and I never hear owners of Nexus products complain.

I keep dancing around the idea of switching over to the 5S, although even if I really wanted to it sounds like none are in stock anywhere at the moment.
Samsung is the only major US player to offer both removable battery and microSD slot.
Old 09-28-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love my Galaxy S4. I don't care for Apple's walled-garden ecosystem. It makes me shit!
Old 09-28-13, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Samsung is the only major US player to offer both removable battery and microSD slot.
That's unfortunately true now. I don't see why unibody construction is so important to consumers.
Old 09-28-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Love my Galaxy S4. I don't care for Apple's walled-garden ecosystem. It makes me shit!
You should probably see a doctor about that. It's not normal.
Old 09-28-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
That's unfortunately true now. I don't see why unibody construction is so important to consumers.
I don't either. In fact, that is probably the main thing about my iPhone that I find to be somewhat of a disappointment.

But then on the other hand, the last time I used a phone for over two years was... well, never. So, the likelihood of me using a phone beyond it's useful battery life is extremely low. And with charge times so quick these days, I can get enough charge in my phone to last me the day in less than an hour.
Old 09-28-13, 04:59 PM
Banned by request

I go to enough music festivals to find good battery life, or a spare battery in my pocket, to be quite useful.
Old 09-28-13, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Stop trying to eating it. Apple isn't an edible apple.
Old 09-28-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
You should probably see a doctor about that. It's not normal.
He probably has to see the doctor a lot... You know what they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.