Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Breathometer for iPhone and Android

Old 09-28-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Breathometer for iPhone and Android

This has been discussed a little in the Shark Tank thread in TV Talk but it does kind of belong here. Pretty cool looking device, plugs into your phone, fully functional breathalyzer.

http://www.breathometer.com/

FDA-Approved, Patent Pending and all that crap. It was an IndieGoGo campaign earlier this year.
Old 09-28-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Breathometer for iPhone and Android

I need to do some research on this or need to see if they can have some science to back up their device for accuracy purposes. The PBTs that police use aren't always completely accurate due to a variety of reason.

Edit: Looks like they do have some science. I'm still skeptical of a device where you just casually blow onto it, not into a tube like you would with a PBT.

I won't lie, though, I'd consider getting one. Not because I drink and drive, but rather to see how completely fucked up I can get at home and get the highest BAC.

Edit: Looks like the sensor only goes up to .20 BAC. That's nothing.

Last edited by Deftones; 09-28-13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 01:04 PM

I can see this thing causing more problems than it solves. "Hey look, I'm under the limit and safe to drive!" *crash*
Old 09-28-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I can see this thing causing more problems than it solves. "Hey look, I'm under the limit and safe to drive!" *crash*
It's pretty rare for apps to crash these days...
Old 09-28-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Also, if you look at the FAQs, you have to send it in for recalibration every 250 uses.
Old 09-28-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Edit: Looks like the sensor only goes up to .20 BAC. That's nothing.
But that would be 4x the new/proposed? legal limit...
Old 09-28-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Music View Post
But that would be 4x the new/proposed? legal limit...
FYI, that change from .08 to .05 isn't going to happen anytime soon, if at all. I'm just saying, it's easy to get to .20 if you are a regular drinker.
Old 09-30-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If that happens enough, there'd likely be a stronger to push to set the limit even lower.
Old 09-30-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this thing on Shark Tank but don't see how it could be a profitable product. Sure, the idea is great. But who in the bar hopping age group is going to stick this thing in their pocket on the way out the door?

He also mentioned having the technology to check for diabetes as well. I think that would be way better as a business model.
Old 09-30-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depending on how bulky it is in person, you could toss it on your keychain. I see it making a killing initially, after that who knows.

Considering how small iPhones are and seeing it on the show, I imagine it wouldn't be much worse than having a bottle opener or anything else on your keys.
Old 09-30-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's too big to be a keychain (assuming the model they showed on ST was production). It was the width and thickness of an iphone and maybe 1/3 its height. It would be a cumbersome addition to your pockets.
Old 09-30-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Width and Thickness isn't an issue since the iPhone is all around pretty small, the height would be my only concern. Would have to see it in person, but honestly it looked small enough for a keychain / pockets, but then again I don't wear particularly tight jeans and usually have my keys, phone and a pack or smokes or something in there.
Old 09-30-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure it's tiny in comparison to other breathalyzers but the people it's made for aren't going to want to carry it around. I could see college kids using it as a gag to see who could max the thing out quicker but its attended use won't translate into a money making company.

The first concern the sharks had was over the liability regarding if someone used it, blew under, then got in an accident.
Old 09-30-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure it has some sort of warning when you're above 0.00. The target audience I don't think would have an issue carrying it around based on my experiences, if they're responsible enough to use it properly is definitely the question. But yeah, if there's a discrepancy of any sort, and you start driving after blowing a 0.07 and wind up pulled over with a 0.08 it's an issue.

To note though, I don't think college kids are the ones that will reap the most benefit out of it. Most people I know that have gotten DUIs have gotten them after college, and in situations where they weren't surrounded by friends who know they're too drunk to drive (and away from publicly available drunk transport like in most college towns, I miss the drunk trolleys )

But who knows, I think we'll see soon enough, going on Shark Tank alone is generally solid advertising.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-30-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He ended up getting a 1mil deal with all the sharks, which was a first for the show. They've never all gone in on the same deal.
Old 09-30-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, all in, $1m, it was crazy. What I meant is seeing how well it sells, it's still up for pre-order on the website.

I thought it was funny, one of their IndieGogo goals was to prevent the user from texting while drunk. That is a pathetically useful feature.
Old 09-30-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Also, if you look at the FAQs, you have to send it in for recalibration every 250 uses.
That could be a bi-weekly thing for some people around here
Old 09-30-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding size, this is from the tech specs on the site:
http://www.breathometer.com/tech-specs
Product Dimensions 2.6" x 1.33" x 0.67" (67mm x 34mm x 17mm)
Weight 0.96 oz
And here's the specs for the iPhone 5(S):
http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/
Height: 4.87 inches (123.8 mm)
Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth: 0.30 inch (7.6 mm)
Weight: 3.95 ounces (112 grams)
So it's not as big as an iPhone, although it is about twice as thick.

If it's too big to fit in someone's pocket, there's an easy solution: leave it in the car.
Old 09-30-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds right, a little wider, twice as thick, and about 1/4th the height of an iPhone 5S.
Old 09-30-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
He ended up getting a 1mil deal with all the sharks, which was a first for the show. They've never all gone in on the same deal.
I believe they also all went in on some Bed Bug traps that let you know if you were infested.
Old 09-30-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep that's correct:

Maria and Veronica pitched the Sharks on a $125k investment for a 7% share in BuggyBeds. After some discussion, Mr. Wonderful asked the ladies to leave the room while he pitched his fellow Sharks on teaming up with an offer. When Maria and Veronica return, Kevin offers $250K for 25% and asks the other Sharks to come in on the deal. Daymond is “in” with Kevin. Barbara offers $150K for 15% but pulls her offer. Mark speaks up and says they should all team up on a deal, Robert concurs and the boys invite Barbara back in; she accepts. Maria and Veronica accept the offer of $250K for 25% of BuggyBeds and leave the tank with a deal from all five Sharks.