Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Kindle Fire HDX

Old 09-25-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kindle Fire HDX

New Kindle Fire HDX models announced today, with a new version of the previous Kindle Fire HD dropped to $139. $229 and $379 for the new ones. Higher res, better CPU, some new stuff in the OS like Mayday for live support.

I like my current Fire HD quite a bit for basic web browsing, reading comics, Facebook, and some forum reading. At this point, most new tablets don't do a whole lot new for me for what I use them for.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/25/a...ets-we-go-han/

The slate, like its predecessor, comes in 7- and 8.9-inch configurations -- this time out sporting much higher resolutions, at 323 ppi (1,920 x 1,200) and 339 ppi (2,560 x 1,600), respectively. Compare that to 221 and 254 ppi for their predecessors and 264 ppi on the iPad 3; quite brilliant in conference room lighting. For by-the-pool readers, there's also a dynamic image contrast feature, which one exec pulled out a flashlight to demo. The feature works by shifting the display's contrast, rather than brightness, to compensate for external changes in lighting. It's still not the perfect outdoor reading device some are hoping for, but, well, that's part of the reason the company's keeping its Kindle reader line around, after all.
These guys are quick, too. Both versions feature a 2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor and double the RAM of the last version at 2GB. Put it next to 2012's model and you'll note a difference, even with something as simple as flipping through icons on the home screen or opening up a record. The difference in gaming is far, far more pronounced. We took the HDX through a round of Asphalt 8: Airborne, and, thanks in part to the Adreno 330 graphic engine, it handled things with aplomb -- we can't, sadly, say the same about our accelerometer-based driving skills, unfortunately. Battery-wise, Amazon's promising 11 hours (one more than it listed for the previous 8.9 version) with standard usage. Flip into the special reading mode (not dissimilar from the feature we saw rolled out with the last Kobo tablet) and you'll bump that up to a full 17 hours.
With Mayday, a tech advisor appears on your screen and walks you through how to fix things." On his end, Dylan (or whoever among the thousands of support reps you should happen to be paired up with) can see your display, but not you. Ask him for some help (or something as inane as recommending a new game) and he'll walk you through the steps, drawing circles and arrows along the way, like some Monday Night Football commentator. Or, if you choose, he can just do it for you. You can also move the box around or he can do that for you, as well. If you have to enter a password, meanwhile, he can shut off screen-sharing.
Oh, remember when we mentioned that there's no HDMI out on the HDX? Well, the device doesn't actually stream directly to your TV. Using Second Screen, devices like the PlayStation 3 and 4 and Samsung smart TVs stream content from the cloud, even as you use your tablet to control it. That means that the device is freed up to offer contextual information through X-Ray, so you can find out the names of actors and songs, check out trivia through IMDb and, naturally, buy more Amazon content.
Old 09-25-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Kindle Fire HDX

Those are some impressive specs.

The "no HDMI out" is a cop out though.
Old 09-25-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a definite purchase for me. The only reason I didn't purchase last year's models were the absence of cameras. The 8.9" HDX has both front and rear facing cameras.
Old 09-25-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nifty.
Old 09-25-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That "Mayday" feature is awesome considering how many people have no idea to use their Fire their tablet their computer any sort of electronics equipment.

I wonder if no HDMI out is due to the rumors of Amazon releasing a set top box?
Old 09-25-13, 01:04 PM

I might pick up the 7" during the Christmas season. Very happy with my ipad 4, but the wife's Kindle recently broke and she's expressed interest in a smaller tablet (whether ipad or other).
Old 09-25-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah that Mayday function is phenomenal for the target audience of this product.
Old 09-25-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ooo, an offline video option. That would make this pretty nifty for planning flights and long trips.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/25/a...ion-downloads/
Old 09-25-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Ooo, an offline video option. That would make this pretty nifty for planning flights and long trips.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/25/a...ion-downloads/
Yeah, that's pretty nice for the Prime stuff since currently you can only download purchases.
Old 09-25-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No HDMI out = No purchase.

And it wasn't included because Amazon wants to charge you for cloud services, of course. Intentional crippling on an otherwise stellar device. A pity.
Old 09-27-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And i thought Apple cases were overpriced

Didn't realize this was $379 for the HDX 8.9. I really want one but I can't afford that sadface emoticon.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-27-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-27-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's on par with leather cases for other tablets. Are they going to make a cheaper nylon version?
Old 09-27-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I paid 40 for the official case for my Kindle Fire HD an it's probably the best case I've ever seen and use for a tablet. Although it annoys the shit out of me that cases cost 1/4 or 1/3 the cost of the actual tablet.
Old 10-02-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reviews of the 7 inch are out.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/47...-review-7-inch

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/a...re-hdx-review/
Old 05-23-14, 01:20 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Will probably be getting an HDX soon-- Is prime video service better than Netflix?
Old 05-23-14, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Will probably be getting an HDX soon-- Is prime video service better than Netflix?
I have both and service is about the same. It's more about what content you like.
Old 05-23-14, 01:43 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thats cool. As long as it's not completely redundant I'll play with it and see if Ill keep both
Old 05-24-14, 12:48 AM

Those look sweet. What I really need is a small and light tablet like the 7" but I know I'd envy the 8.9" tablet, of course.

What I really want is the next Kindle Paperwhite announcement. My Kindle Touch screen broke when I threw it in the bag we took to the hospital when our daughter was born a few months back so I've been using my wife's 1st gen Paperwhite thinking the announcement is always just around the corner but nothing yet...
Old 05-24-14, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by story View Post
I've been using my wife's 1st gen Paperwhite thinking the announcement is always just around the corner but nothing yet...
For the past couple years, Kindles have been announced in September and released in October.
Old 06-13-14, 03:59 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

After a few weeks with the 8.9 and I REALLY need anoteher keyboard app

Is there NO way to change the stock one without rooting?

Can you root, and ONLY change the keyboard-- and still use prime?
Old 06-13-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't get Swiftkey in the Amazon marketplace? However, I would hold off. That keyboard, which is my favorite, is now free, but Amazon doesn't have the latest version yet.
Old 06-16-14, 02:08 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Actually, the keyboard is supposedly not customizable. I'm hoping it could be sideloaded but I'm not sure. I bought swiftkey but I don't have access to an apk