Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Weird MP3 problem... no audio on just one pc

Old 09-23-13, 04:30 AM
Uber Member

Weird MP3 problem... no audio on just one pc

Having a weird problem with an audio file. And I say it's MP3 related in the title, but I'm not sure that's it.

The file "plays" but I don't hear anything.

This is a presentation file that my franchisor created and made available to us to use for presentations.

The file works on 2 other computers.

The computer it doesn't work on has other mp3s from the same source on it that play just fine.

I've put it on a flash drive and tried it on the bad pc, no go...take same drive and try it on another pc, mp3 plays just fine.

I burned the mp3 to a CD. It plays fine on the pc I created it on, but on the pc giving me problems, still no sound.

I then put the CD back in the other pc and ripped it as a .wav file and transferred that over via dropbox (I took the flash drive home). Works on original pc, not on the pc giving me problems.

Bad pc is a laptop (other pcs tested on were also laptops, but different models and win versions).
Acer Aspire 5742z 4630
pentium p6200
intel hd graphics
4gb ddr3 ram
500 gb hdd
Win7

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 09-23-13, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Weird MP3 problem... no audio on just one pc

That's a strange one.

My first impulse was that there's some kind of error on the .mp3 file that's tripping it up on your "bad" PC but not the others.

But since you ripped it as a .wav and it still wouldn't play... that's a puzzler. The .wav and .mp3 should be three totally unique files.

Could there be some kind of thing checked or not checked in the "properties" of the .mp3 that transferred over the .wav that's keeping it from playing?