Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I just want to say network extenders are pretty awesome.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-22-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been having issues with my desktop dropping connection with my wireless router - just randomly the connection will go from 4 bars to 2 bars and stuff will time out left and right.

Bought a brown boxed Netgear wireless-n extender today for $25 (from the local Tiger Direct) and plugged my computer directly into it. Problems solved, no issues streaming anymore, everything is peachy. Good stuff.

So anybody having shitty luck with PCI or USB Wireless cards, it's well worth the investment and small bit of desk space.

Oh yeah, CompUSA is officially no more again, they've all been changed to Tiger Direct.
Old 09-22-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I just want to say network extenders are pretty awesome.

Over this weekend I switched from a Linksys G router to a Netgear N router plus I added a Netgear wireless extender to get rid of any dead zones in the house. My office, where the modem & router are set up, are in an addition we put on and we had no signal at all in my boys room. I put the extender on the second floor in the middle of the house and they get almost 4 bars anywhere on the second floor.
Old 09-22-13, 10:42 PM
Banned by request

I have T-Mobile for phone service. I get no service in the building where I work, but I get wifi, and T-Mobile allows calls and text over wifi. Unfortunately, the particular room I am in has really spotty wifi reception as well, meaning I have to go out in the hallway to make a call or send a text, and sometimes the phone takes a while to connect. It drains my battery something fierce and is an all around annoying situation. I was considering getting a standalone wifi extender like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almon...=wifi+extender

If it can reliably grab the wifi signal and rebroadcast it, my issues should be resolved. At the same time, it's annoying that I might have to spend $90 just to get my cell to work, and if it doesn't work, then I'm out $90 and I still have the same problems.
Old 09-23-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That seems a bit pricey.
Old 09-23-13, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

Well, it's standalone, and most of the other wifi extenders got spotty ratings on Amazon.
Old 09-23-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

RichC2: So you got an extender, but instead of connecting to it wirelessly you connect to it directly? Why not just get a wireless bridge in that case?

I've never gotten one, but I've always been paranoid that extending my wireless even further out will expose it even more...
Old 09-23-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. I was having a hell of a time keeping the connection on my ipad when playing the Simpsons game on the couch. Picked up an extender, and now I can keep Homer busy without having to spend time logging in over and over.
Old 09-23-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
RichC2: So you got an extender, but instead of connecting to it wirelessly you connect to it directly? Why not just get a wireless bridge in that case?

I've never gotten one, but I've always been paranoid that extending my wireless even further out will expose it even more...
It does double duty as a bridge and extends my signal as well which works great for the upstairs. I was actually looking for just a bridge, or a hackable wireless-n router, but both cost 2x as much as what I wound up purchasing. And yes, it extends the connection radius, that's one reason why I have a really long WPA2 key.

Plus, at the price I'm not going to complain.
Old 09-23-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I have T-Mobile for phone service. I get no service in the building where I work, but I get wifi, and T-Mobile allows calls and text over wifi. Unfortunately, the particular room I am in has really spotty wifi reception as well, meaning I have to go out in the hallway to make a call or send a text, and sometimes the phone takes a while to connect. It drains my battery something fierce and is an all around annoying situation. I was considering getting a standalone wifi extender like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almon...=wifi+extender

If it can reliably grab the wifi signal and rebroadcast it, my issues should be resolved. At the same time, it's annoying that I might have to spend $90 just to get my cell to work, and if it doesn't work, then I'm out $90 and I still have the same problems.
How tech savvy are you? You can buy a cheap router (> $30) that can handle dd wrt. You can set it up as a repeater, wireless bridge or wireless client. Tutorials are available for both flashing dd wrt and setting it up. Some Buffalo routers even come with dd wrt preinstalled.

Conversely, in the last six months I have used the following for family when I could not find a cheap router. Both have worked well.

Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender - a refurbish unit for $35
BUFFALO AirStation N150 Wireless Router - WCR-GN - new for $25

Last edited by Kdogg; 09-23-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 06:54 PM
Banned by request

Thanks Kdogg, I appreciate the recommendations.