Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

So are all of my podcasts gone permanantly?

Old 09-21-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So are all of my podcasts gone permanantly?

Apparently installing the new version of iTunes transformed all of podcasts into cloud files because Apple does not understand that I want to own things. I told it to re-download all of the files from the could. While I was at work, someone from my family did the one thing I told him not to do and closed iTunes. I came home to find that they are all gone. I'm having it download all previous episodes again, presumably from the archive, but some don't go back as far as the one I used to have. Are they just gone for good?

EDIT: Both of these podcasts are free downloads, so if there is any other place to acquire them, I can't imagine it's in violation of any rules or laws. I've checked the folders on the hard drive, but they appear to be empty, I don't understand how reinstalling iTunes could have gotten rid of them all, but there you go. The whole setup of them appears to have changed.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-21-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: So are all of my podcasts gone permanantly?

What type of PC do you have, Mac or Windows? What version of Windows? Do you run any backups (you really should)?

I'm assuming you have a Windows PC, and that the files aren't in the Recycle Bin.

Vista and above use Shadow Copy on NTFS volumes to retain previous versions of files. It's possible you could view a "previous version" of that folder to see if the old podcasts are retained in there. For Vista Home, you'll need to use a third party tool in order to access Shadow Copies, all higher editions of Vista or newer versions of Windows have a "Previous Versions" tool built in:
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/arc...ou-d-lost.aspx
http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

Another option would be to use an "undelete" utility to try and recover the files. This works by searching the free space on the drive for deleted files. This works best when run immediately after the files go missing, and before anything else is written to the drive, as new files may be written to the "empty" space the deleted files took up, and thus overwrite them. Also, you'll have to recover the files to another drive, as writing back to the same drive could possibly overwrite other files you haven't recovered yet. Recuva is one such utility:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

As for redownloading the podcasts, it depends on which ones they are, but I'd definitely search for them outside of iTunes. It's possible their main sites may have a larger backlog of files than what's listed in iTunes.
Old 09-23-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
What type of PC do you have, Mac or Windows? What version of Windows? Do you run any backups (you really should)?
I have a PC. I have my photos backed up, but not my podcasts. I bought an external hard drive expressly for the purpose of backing everything up, but I haven't gone through with it yet because the whole reason I wanted to back everything up in the first place was to reformat the computer from scratch and my parents can't seem to find the damn startup disc.

I'm assuming you have a Windows PC, and that the files aren't in the Recycle Bin.
Yes and yes.

Vista and above use Shadow Copy on NTFS volumes to retain previous versions of files. It's possible you could view a "previous version" of that folder to see if the old podcasts are retained in there. For Vista Home, you'll need to use a third party tool in order to access Shadow Copies, all higher editions of Vista or newer versions of Windows have a "Previous Versions" tool built in:
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/arc...ou-d-lost.aspx
http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

Another option would be to use an "undelete" utility to try and recover the files. This works by searching the free space on the drive for deleted files. This works best when run immediately after the files go missing, and before anything else is written to the drive, as new files may be written to the "empty" space the deleted files took up, and thus overwrite them. Also, you'll have to recover the files to another drive, as writing back to the same drive could possibly overwrite other files you haven't recovered yet. Recuva is one such utility:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
I'll have a look, I'm not sure what iteration of Vista we have. I have to get myself a laptop or something.

As for redownloading the podcasts, it depends on which ones they are, but I'd definitely search for them outside of iTunes. It's possible their main sites may have a larger backlog of files than what's listed in iTunes.
The website for Kermode and Mayo goes back the same length as the podcasts. The Treatment has some on their website, although I don't know how I'd integrate them back to where they belong in iTunes. A friend of mine has been downloading the same podcast for some time, I might be able to get a lot of them from him.
Old 09-23-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't get your hopes up with a file recovery program.

About three years ago, while moving files to an external drive I accidentally zonked one of my main file folders (too big for the recycle bin). Tried to use a file recovery tool, but it didn't work. It found the names of all the files I lost, but was unable to recover any of them undamaged.

Fortunately, I was able to get the names of all of the files and was able to replace most of them.
Old 09-23-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I came after no one had touched the computer as far as I know and The Treatment was entirely gone. I was able to redownload only the 25 episodes iTunes offers again, but something must be up. I don't know what the hell is going on or why my computer apparently deleted these things of its own volition. Given that it started with iOS 7, I'm assuming it's some sort of setting in the phone.
Old 09-24-13, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
Given that it started with iOS 7, I'm assuming it's some sort of setting in the phone.
Well, as you mentioned, iTunes also updated to 11.1 at about the same time as iOS 7 being released and the problems ocurring, so it could be in iTunes as well.

iTunes 11.1 introduced some new features for podcasts:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2048...ions-more.html
Podcast fans will welcome some additional improvements in iTunes 11.1: You now have the option to keep your subscription synced between all your devices (on iOS, they’ll sync with the Podcasts app). There’s also a more prominent button to refresh and check for new episodes. And newest of all is a My Stations feature, which lets you create a playlist of podcasts to listen to: You get to pick what episodes and in what order they “air.” Even better, those stations and your current playback location sync via iCloud to the Podcasts app, so you can pick up your listening when you’re on the go.
iTunes also has a feature to auto-delete old podcasts, although it's had this a while:
http://www.necessaryroughness.org/20...saved-me-30gb/
Old 02-26-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And yet again, I open iTunes and my computer seems to have deleted all of my podcasts of no reason. Am I missing something here? Now it'll let me download them up to where the archive leaves off, but not anything farther back which I used to fricking have.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-26-14 at 11:50 AM.