Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Recording music digitally from DVR

Old 09-15-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Recording music digitally from DVR

For years now I have saved most of the live music from late night talk shows in WAV format on my computer by running a series of interconnected red/white stereo cables from my DVR to my audio in on my computer, using Nero Wave Recorder to record and save the music.

I had a Comcast Motorola DVR (two channel tuner) and had to unplug the coax cable otherwise I would get an annoying buzz sound in the final output.

I recently swapped out my old DVR for Comcast's new four channel tuner DVR. Though the DVR has a few pros, one of the cons is that the remote does not work without the coax cable being plugged in. So if I want to save the live music from Letterman, I have to unplug the coax cable for that, then plug it back in, wait for at least a full minute, then access Jimmy Fallon and fast forward to the live music, unplug the coax cable before the music starts and so on. It's going to get old. Quick.

I have a amplifier that I tried by plugging the audio out from the DVR into the TV in and then I run cables from the audio out, hoping that would negate the annoying buzz. Unfortunately, the problem persists even going through the amplifier.

Any suggestions? I don't think this is an issue with the interconnected stereo cables (three in all) running from the DVR or amplifier as the buzzing disappears when I unplug the coax cable. Some websites suggested a ground loop isolator. Since the source of the buzzing seems to be when the coax cable is plugged in, I didn't know if this would solve the issue. Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
Old 09-15-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Recording music digitally from DVR

That's way too much work, and you lose a lot of audio quality in the process of going from a digital format to an analog, then back to digital in the final .WAV.

Simply open up the DVR, unplug its hard drive, plug it into your PC, then you'll have access to the raw digital .TS (transport streams) on the DVR. Simply demux the audio from the raw .TS files by using Tsmuxer 1.1.0.6, and you're set to go and have no quality loss at all in the process.
Old 09-15-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get high quality...CD quality...audio just fine in my way of doing things. It goes from a DVR to my computer...all digital, no loss of sound quality, HD broadcast audio saved as WAV files.

Unless you mean by going through the eqalizer/amplifier...that option did not work for me. I can't go with that, so that's off the table and not part of it now.

How do I get the buzzing to stop and leave the coax cable plugged in? That's my end game here, that's the solution I need. Violating any warranty or something of that nature on the Comcast DVR and doing that everyday is just not a viable option, I am afraid.
Old 09-15-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This seems like a good solution. Anybody here have any feedback on this?

http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/J...r-VRD-1FF.html

I would be curious to know if any brick and mortar stores carry something like this. I'd just as soon go to the store and buy one to see if it works than wait for one in the mail. (And for ease of return if it doesn't work.) Any suggestions of where to buy something like this in store would be welcome!
Old 09-15-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Zyzzel was right, but just wrong in his execution. Get a FireWire cable and just record the stream out of the cable box to a laptop or PC via FireWire, then extract the audio from the TS file. I wouldn't take apart a DVR every time I want a file, but grabbing it via FireWire is pretty easy and you get the perfect file.
Old 09-15-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Zyzzel was right, but just wrong in his execution. Get a FireWire cable and just record the stream out of the cable box to a laptop or PC via FireWire, then extract the audio from the TS file. I wouldn't take apart a DVR every time I want a file, but grabbing it via FireWire is pretty easy and you get the perfect file.
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I simply don't have an audio in on my computer that supports that type of cable.

After reading several reviews of the Jensen product mentioned above from a lot of people who had similar problems such as mine, that seems to be the solution.

But I appreciate the feedback! I will let you all know how the Jensen device works! It should be here in a couple days.
Old 09-18-13, 09:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

If it's the same type of DVR as I think it is, I've captured video clips using the method Chrisedge mentions. I had to use a piece of freeware called CapDVHS when I did. There are tutorials out there, but you will need a computer with a Firewire/IEEE 1394 connection. It's not an audio connection. You may have one and not know it:
Spoiler:
Old 09-19-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I received the Jensen Transformers Cable TV Isolation Transformer VRD-1FF. PROBLEM SOLVED. No more buzzing on the audio out. I knew it had to be a grounding issue, and it's solved. Magnificently solved.

I have no idea what rigamarole things the rest of you are suggesting. This is a grounding issue only with a cable wire. I just thought I would post the update for anybody else who may come across this thread. The other suggestions may solve other problems, but not the one I was trying to solve. At least not in any easy way.
Old 09-19-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No worries! Glad you fixed it.