Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What kind of Smart Phone do you own? Do you like it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-01-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I bought from T-Mobile about 3 months ago. Still paying it off with monthly installments on my phone bill ($20/month) When I get enough money, I'll try to pay it all off.

Anyways, I enjoy it a lot. Very fast phone, takes great pictures, calls don't drop and I seem to get better reception on it. Also the battery seems to last quite long. I don't think I maximize the phone to it's fullest capabilities, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

My last Smart phone was an HTC Sensation also from T-Mobile and once that phone got a little older, battery ran out fast, apps started to get really clunky in performance.
Old 09-01-13, 03:22 PM
Admin-Thanos

Re: What kind of Smart Phone do you own? Do you like it?

I have an iPhone 4S now. I'm planning to go to an Android when my plan is up in December. There are some apps that Android has that iOS doesn't that are useful for my work. I also like being able to use extra storage with an SD card. Android just seems to offer more flexibility.
Old 09-01-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an iPhone 5. Works just fine for me, suits all my needs for personal and work use.
Old 09-01-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I have an iPhone 4S now. I'm planning to go to an Android when my plan is up in December. There are some apps that Android has that iOS doesn't that are useful for my work. I also like being able to use extra storage with an SD card. Android just seems to offer more flexibility.
Just be sure to do your research. Samsung phones have sd card, but moto, htc, and lg don't on a lot of recent devices.

Anyway I have the Samsung Galaxy Note II, and love it's large size and battery life. Everything runs well, though that is probably true of most if not all current high end devices
Old 09-01-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Love my iPhone 5. And while I also have an iPad, I don't know that I necessarily use anything unique on the 5 that isn't available on a Droid.

I strap it to my arm daily for running and gym time using the Nike + GPS app. I use it of course in races as well. I have an app for all my passwords, loyalty cards, etc. Very useful. I use both TomTom and Google maps regularly as I travel a lot for work (I don't bother with the stand alone GPS my company supplies). Use is a lot as an electronic photo album. I d/l photos from my good camera's as well as keeping photos I take on it (the camera is solid for a phone, but can't compare to a stand alone camera). I use the Dish app, and their own Slingbox to watch football, baseball or whatever when I'm away from home (tho I do that more on my iPad now). My bank has a pretty solid app that is very useful on my phone/iPad. I use MyNetDiary Pro to track my eating and exercise for health. I buy things from Amazon direct from my phone. The app makes it simple and easy. Also use it for more simple things like alarm in the morning, timer for cooking, music on the airplane, etc.
Old 09-01-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went from an HTC Evo 3D to a Samsung S4 about a month and LOVE IT. Bought an extended battery for it and it lasts all day and beyond, no matter what I use it for. FINALLY a phone I can use for everything. I am going to stick with Samsung for my next phone, turns out both my sisters had Samsungs and I didn't know it
Old 09-01-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pantech Burst, because my old iPhone 3G finally bit the dust, and I needed something cheap but "good enough" to hold me over until our next upgrade. (We have used the past several upgrades on phones for my wife since she needed a Blackberry at her previous job, and we were lucky to get more than a year out of them.)

The Burst is tolerable, and probably the best value for a sub-$100 unsubsidized phone (AMOLED 480x800 display, dual-core processor, Android 4.0, 16 GB internal, but miserable battery life), but Android just feels incredibly unpolished even compared to iOS 3.x no matter how much I customize it. I'm going back to an iPhone next year.
Old 09-01-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Pantech Burst, because my old iPhone 3G finally bit the dust, and I needed something cheap but "good enough" to hold me over until our next upgrade. (We have used the past several upgrades on phones for my wife since she needed a Blackberry at her previous job, and we were lucky to get more than a year out of them.)

The Burst is tolerable, and probably the best value for a sub-$100 unsubsidized phone (AMOLED 480x800 display, dual-core processor, Android 4.0, 16 GB internal, but miserable battery life), but Android just feels incredibly unpolished even compared to iOS 3.x no matter how much I customize it. I'm going back to an iPhone next year.
Imo, the AT&T 520 is the best $100ish (can be found for $80-85 on sale) unsubsidized phone. And it uses the qualcomm snapdragon s4,which is a similar chip as in the s3 and one x, and gets great battery life due to the 28nm chip

The Burst, while it is dual core, uses the qualcomm snapdragon s3,which is older tech and on a 45nm chip. A current specd phone like the Moto X is also dual core, but it would perform much better and have much better battery life than the Burst. Obviously it also costs a lot more, but you would have a better experience on the Moto X compared to the Burst. Guess my point being just because it is dual core doesn't mean that it is good.

I guess different strokes for different folks, I like to customize and don't really like ios for that reason.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 09-01-13 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Imo, the AT&T 520 is the best $100ish (can be found for $80-85 on sale) unsubsidized phone.
I should have clarified that it is probably the best unsubsidized Android phone. I have no interest in Windows Phone, and neither does 96% of the U.S. market.
Old 09-02-13, 08:04 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Another with a Samsung Infuse here. Went from iPhone 3S to this Droid after the iPhone bit the dust.

I do like the size of it and the fact it offers some stuff the iPhone doesn't. However, I'm finding that it doesn't operate as quick as I would like sometimes and it can just freeze/lock which is very frustrating. It seems like every other day I have to either power off or take the battery out because it is unresponsive.

I'm due for an upgrade at the end of the month and not sure what to do right now....
Old 09-02-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had to travel overseas a lot this summer so I needed an unlocked GSM phone and went with a Nexus 4. I like it a lot and it was a snap to swap sim cards in and out as needed and the $30 a month T-Mobile plan is great for a cheapskate like me. I do miss having an SD card slot. Even though I really don't need the extra storage I like knowing it's available if I ever do need it. That's the only real drawback with this phone as HSPA+ is plenty fast for my mobile use and I get a good couple of days out of the battery.
Old 09-02-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HTC One

I love it.
Old 09-02-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Motorola Razer Maxx HD. LOVE IT. Even the coworkers with iPhones comment on how crystal clear the screen is compared to theirs. Apple sheep!!!! LMAO
Old 09-02-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HTC One. Best phone I have used to date. Wish AT&T was quicker with the updates though. The rest of the world is on Android 4.2.2 and 4.3 for the One has just leaked.
Old 09-02-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

iPhone 5, with no intention of upgrading when the 5s comes out. I'm happy with what I have, the speed is fantastic. No complaints about it whatsoever.
Old 09-02-13, 06:18 PM

iphone 4 and I hate it right now! The home button's been broken for at least a year and I need a rubber band to charge the damn phone now because it won't charge when I just plug it in, it needs an extra push.
Old 09-02-13, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
HTC One. Best phone I have used to date. Wish AT&T was quicker with the updates though. The rest of the world is on Android 4.2.2 and 4.3 for the One has just leaked.
I think it's more HTC than AT&T, as neither Sprint nor T-Mobile have 4.2 for the One, either. I don't understand why it takes so much longer for the US to get updates, though. Is it all of the bloatware the carriers need to add that makes it take longer?
Old 09-02-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't the one gpe already on 4.3?
Old 09-03-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a bunch of 'smartphones' (family) and I hate every last one of them.

My work blackberry is the most reliable and most 'basically functional' device I have However, the apps suck, so only someone like me would appreciate it and use it (I don't care for fancy extras, I just want to make calls and do basic text/email and I want it to always work)

The last phone I had that I actually liked was a basic not really smart phone from Samsung. I say not really a smart phone because it ran a proprietary OS (not android or a derivative) and it was a slider phone with a real keyboard. Great for phone and text, and very limited internet but no apps. Since it was used as a phone and not a mini computer replacement, it was perfect

I am thinking about trying a google nexus 4 since the recent price drop, but I am hesitant.
Old 09-03-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Windows phone. Nokia Lumia 928. No complaints.
Old 09-03-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I both got the Galaxy S4 as soon as it came out. I love it and all that it can do but I'm pretty geeky and tech savvy. My wife absolutely hates the phone and daily blames me for the problems she has and talking her into getting it. This is her first smartphone and our 3 year old knows his way around technology better than my wife. I think if the 4G network in Pittsburgh expands our way a bit more than she'd bitch a little less each day. Her signal is always an issue. I personally don't have the problems she does but I hardly ever use my phone for calls and I am on wi-fi constantly between work and home. She refuses to turn the wi-fi and I can't figure out why so I pretty much just let her suffer and complain.
Old 09-03-13, 09:27 AM

I have an iPhone 4S. I really like it, but I'm kind of over the novelty of smartphone tech in general. I pretty much use it as a phone, occasionally email, a web browser, and Spotify. There are a handful of games I play with friends too I guess. Other than that I don't really get excited about apps or processor and graphics power anymore. I feel like there was a period of 3 years where things were moving fast and the phones were exciting, but the market has kind of matured now and the phones are just a part of our every day lives. I imagine I will have my 4S for at least another year. I had my 3GS for about 3 years as well. I see no reason for annual upgrades. I also don't see myself every going to Android because I have such a large catalog of iOS apps.
Old 09-03-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a LG Optimus Elite on Virgin Mobile. It's an Android phone that would be half way decent, but the coverage/data is bad and slow. But I'm grandfathered in on the $25 unlimited plan, and it's so hard to give up. If I move anywhere else, I'd be paying about 3x that.

I should also add that I have an iPad which I use for almost all my data needs (it's 3G), so it makes tolerating a lame phone plan much easier.

Thinking strongly about trading in my iPad for a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 on AT&T soon though...just waiting to see what the new iPad Mini is like first.
Old 09-03-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
I have a LG Optimus Elite on Virgin Mobile. It's an Android phone that would be half way decent, but the coverage/data is bad and slow. But I'm grandfathered in on the $25 unlimited plan, and it's so hard to give up. If I move anywhere else, I'd be paying about 3x that.
I had that same setup until recently and found the phone to be pretty decent. I had to dump it to go GSM but the T-Mobile plan for $30 a month isn't much more than the grandfathered VM plan. Unlimited text and data with the first 5GB a month high-speed. You are limited to 100 minutes voice which I've never come close to using since I don't actually talk all that much on my phone.
Old 09-03-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had the Galaxy S3 for almost a year, and I really don't like it. I can't install apps to SD card, there are so many features and settings that can get turned on randomly or by accident, and it's a pain to try and figure how to turn it off. The battery is awful. I can't even last 12 hours on a charge with it in power off mode and not used. If I use GPS and navigation, it will drain 20 - 30% within 30 minutes.

The main reason I went with Verizon and this phone is because they showed 4G coverage area at my parent's house. Instead, I get a very weak 3G signal that often can not even pull up a webpage. My virgin mobile connection was better than that. Makes no sense.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.