Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dying monitor?

Old 08-15-13, 06:59 PM
Banned

Dying monitor?

My monitor has been flickering nearly constantly all day long. The light also is dimmer while it flickers. There are brief moments where the flickering stops and the light gets brighter again, but it doesn't last more than a few minutes at a time.

I checked all the cables and they are plugged in tight. I haven't changed the brightness/contrast or refresh rate or anything like that.

I have used this monitor for 4-5 years and never seen it do anything like this. It kind of reminds me of a lightbulb that sometimes flickers right before its about to burn out. Do LCDs even have bulbs that burn out (I don't know)?
Old 08-15-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dying monitor?

Yes, the fluorescent backlight may be going. I would check the video driver first before deciding the monitor is bad. Also it could be a cable, it you have another try swapping.
Old 08-15-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I had a flickering screen and it was just a bad HDMI cable.
Old 08-16-13, 04:39 AM
Banned

Drivers are up to date. I don't think I have any spare cables, but I will look and see.
Old 08-16-13, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Never had a flatscreen die on me, but I've lost a few RGBs.

But, yeah, I'd check the connection before ditching the monitor. Can you hook it up via a different method, like VGA (if you're using HDMI)?
Old 08-16-13, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Never had a flatscreen die on me, but I've lost a few RGBs.

But, yeah, I'd check the connection before ditching the monitor. Can you hook it up via a different method, like VGA (if you're using HDMI)?
Its an old monitor that doesn't have HDMI. It does have both VGA and DVI inputs, but my video card only has VGA.
Old 08-16-13, 06:57 AM
Banned

Now its even worse. The picture goes out completely now. Oddly, I can turn the monitor off and back on and the picture comes back, but it only lasts 5-10 seconds before it goes out again. I just found a spare VGA cable, and it happens with that cable as well. I guess its the monitor then.
Old 08-16-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Now its even worse. The picture goes out completely now. Oddly, I can turn the monitor off and back on and the picture comes back, but it only lasts 5-10 seconds before it goes out again. I just found a spare VGA cable, and it happens with that cable as well. I guess its the monitor then.
Yes, power supply or something else, time to get a new one
Old 08-16-13, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
Yes, power supply or something else, time to get a new one
I am on my laptop now since my desktop is pretty much unusable until I get this problem fixed. If it was the power supply wouldn't it affect the actual PC as well? I had a power supply die once, and the PC wouldn't even power on at all. The PC still runs fine now. It just seems to be the monitor, which was flickering heavily yesterday and now today the picture keeps going out completely.

I have been looking on newegg, and they have a 25" 1080p monitor for $150. That's crazy how cheap monitors have gotten over the last few years. I spent $200 on my current 19" 1440x900 monitor 4-5 years ago.
Old 08-16-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
I am on my laptop now since my desktop is pretty much unusable until I get this problem fixed. If it was the power supply wouldn't it affect the actual PC as well? I had a power supply die once, and the PC wouldn't even power on at all. The PC still runs fine now. It just seems to be the monitor, which was flickering heavily yesterday and now today the picture keeps going out completely.
He means the power supply in the monitor itself.

If that goes, or is starting to die, you'll have issues similar to what is happening to you. The same thing happened to my first LCD when it died, and it happened when I had a bitch of a time with my current monitor, which I had to exchange 3 times before I got a good one.

At some point very soon, your monitor will be dead.
Old 08-29-13, 12:08 AM
Banned

My 21 inch Samsung recently died .. after about 4 or 5 or so (time files, I can't recall))) years ... It was on a LOT though .. (and I mean a LOT)))

it smelled inside like burnt electronics...

So I went and bought 23 (or is it 24 .. can't remember already) inch Samsung ...

... and that's what I have currently
Old 08-29-13, 05:38 AM
Banned

Yeah, OP here. My monitor is dead now. I decided not to bother buying a new one and get rid of my desktop PC completely. I use my laptop much more than my desktop. My desktop was mostly just used for gaming, and my interest in gaming has slowly dwindled away over the past 5-6 years. I made that 1080p 15.6" laptop thread because I am considering just upgrading my laptop to play the handful of old games that I still like to play (which is mostly just strategy games like Xcom, Civ, and Total War).
Old 08-31-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you just want something cheap that works, there is an 18.5" monitor for $30ar

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/6250464-18...4#post61646544
Old 08-31-13, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
If you just want something cheap that works, there is an 18.5" monitor for $30ar

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/6250464-18...4#post61646544
Thanks for that, but I have already decided to just get rid of my desktop completely and go with my laptop.