Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Printer help needed

Old 08-06-13, 08:33 AM

Printer help needed

I run a small business and send invoices/receipts to customers via email most of the time. Problem is whenever a customer or myself prints the page, the receipt/invoice prints out fine but after that 8 blank pages come out of the printer. Any idea on how to fix this?
Old 08-06-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Printer help needed

This is more of an invoice question than it is printer. What format are the invoices in; pdf?
Old 08-06-13, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
This is more of an invoice question than it is printer. What format are the invoices in; pdf?
Rich Text Document (.rtf)
Old 08-06-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It may be an issue with the way margins are set up on the invoice. Does this happen if you try to print a standard doc out of Word or a pdf?
Old 08-06-13, 05:33 PM

"Problem is whenever a customer or myself prints the page"

Based on that comment, it sounds like it occurs when using your PC/printer and/or on the customers PC/printer at home. In which case it's an issue with the file (ie: invoice). Likely with the program you are using to create the invoice.
Old 08-06-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
"Problem is whenever a customer or myself prints the page"

Based on that comment, it sounds like it occurs when using your PC/printer and/or on the customers PC/printer at home. In which case it's an issue with the file (ie: invoice). Likely with the program you are using to create the invoice.
This

Convert your invoice to PDF, remove the extra pages, then send it

or

figure out how to print the invoice from the invoice program without adding the extra pages
Old 08-06-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must agree with 4KRG - PDF the invoices, delete the extra pages and send those. They're compact, virtually everybody has Acrobat Reader and it seems to be pretty foolproof. The invoice program is obviously sending a bunch of extra page break commands after creating the invoice.

Alternately, there could be something you could change in the invoice program to tell it not to send extra page break commands.

You could also go into each rtf document and scroll to the end and then delete all of the extra page breaks, but the PDF option seems most logical.

I wonder what software most customers use to print the invoices? Probably MS-Word or Open Office?
Old 08-07-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
I wonder what software most customers use to print the invoices? Probably MS-Word or Open Office?
If they don't have either of those installed, a RTF file will open up in Wordpad on a Windows PC.

Definitely check print preview to see if the extra blank pages are showing before printing.

What program are you using for creating the invoice file? Does it only export into RTF? Can you print the invoice directly from the program, and if so, does it print extra pages then?