Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

New Computer suggestions?

Old 08-05-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

New Computer suggestions?

I need a new computer and was wondering what you guys would recomend? I don't want to spend more then $500.00. I think I want a desktop computer... Thats what I am replacing.. What brands should I stay away from? How are HP, Lenovo and DELL? I don't do any gaming but would like to do video editing again one day..

I already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor s I just need a computer....

I am slightly torn between a laptop and desktop.. but leaning towards a dektop..

Should I get this touchscreen computer?

I also think I want an Intel processor and a 64bit computer..
Old 08-05-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: New Computer suggestions?

Highly recommend cyberpower pc. My desktop from them is still running strong nearly 4 years later. You can customize it to your liking.
Old 08-05-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you plan on getting into video editing, you will need a 64-bit machine to keep current. Since you aren't gaming you won't need a strong dedicated graphics card though they do make Adobe Certified ones for enhanced performance (in adobe products.)

I find laptops to be tremendously handy, but in the $500 range it's a little difficult to get the powerhouse you can get in a Desktop.

I haven't bought a retail PC in 15 years though (I've built them since) so I can't really help you there.

I haven't found a use for a desktop touchscreen PC. I personally lean toward Intel after having a bad run on AMD processors about 8 years ago, they've improved a lot and it isn't an issue anymore so you're safe either way.

The benefit of a laptop though is if you want to use it as a desktop, just plug in a monitor and a USB keyboard/mouse and you're good to go.
Old 08-05-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Desktop touchscreen? Can't see the use for it myself, unless maybe you like staring at fingerprints?! I can't be of much help - I use a high-priced laptop, which is way too heavy to carry around anyway. But, I like the small footprint.

That said - Toshiba often has 1 or 2 day specials. My current laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio which I ordered direct, so I get their promotional e-mails nearly every day.

You can also still get Windows 7 systems from them if that makes a difference to you.

My previous computer was a Sony Vaio laptop, which I purchased in October, 2006 and it's still going strong too and is now used by my partner. I bought the new Toshiba Qosmio because I wanted more graphics capability than was available in a Vaio (I create images up to 1 GB in Photoshop and the Vaio had some minor issues with them, and was also incredibly slow when saving them). I also got it just before Windows 8 was introduced because I didn't want to be saddled with Windows 8.

Last edited by danwiz; 08-05-13 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 12:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

1. If you go Windows 8, I recommend a touch screen. It's not NEEDED, but W8 fares better on one.
2. If you stick with Windows 7, absolutely do NOT get a touch screen. Total waste of cash.
3. If your budget is around $500, do not bother with a laptop. Just my own experience, but you'll find video editing to be slow and clunky, unless you're only doing the most basic of tasks. Rendering will be a pain in the ass without some decent processing power in the CPU. Even on a $500 desktop, you might have a rough time...
4. I refuse to even look at HP these days. Dell isn't terrible, and Lenovo is pretty respectable, IMO. Either way, be prepared to uninstall some bloatware in order to get the best performance out of the machine, unless you get a "Signature" machine from a local MS store, but you might have to pay a bit extra for that privilege.
5. Just get a Mac.
6. Totally kidding on #5.
Old 08-06-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know, you can get a Core i7 3770 desktop (10gb ram, 2tb hdd) for $550 and that can smoke through some video editing so I have to assume you'd be able to find something for a couple hundred less that could still do well.

Even cheap processors today can do a very ample job of rendering video projects. Just don't try to do it while running off battery on a laptop.
Old 08-06-13, 07:11 AM

So it sounds like if I can get windows 7 then get that...

I leave my computer on a lot so that's probably another reason for a desktop.
Old 08-07-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Desktops are going to be a better bang-for-the-buck, as long as you don't care about size and portability, especially since you can re-use your existing monitor (almost all desktops come with some sort of keyboard and mouse).

I'd check deal sites for PC deals, as well as weekly ads from retailers like Best Buy and Staples. Another thing to look at is the outlet stores for major manufacturers, like Lenovo:
http://outlet.lenovo.com/

For example, here's a pretty nice refurb from Lenovo with a Intel Core i5-3350P, 12GB RAM, 1TB drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 620, and 1 year warranty, for $490 shipped:
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...&Code=57RF0003

The outlet stock changes fast though, so you have to check constantly and grab a good deal fast while you can.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't worry too much about getting Windows 7 over Windows 8. Some people don't mind the "Modern GUI" in Windows 8, but if you do, there's 3rd party tools that will make 8 perform nearly identical to 7, such as Classic Shell:
http://www.classicshell.net/
Old 08-07-13, 03:06 PM

I was going to post a comment about I've used Geeks.com for "refurbed" machines in the past with pretty good results only to recall that they closed down their online presence about a week ago. Sad to see them go as they always provided me with "decent" hardware at decent prices. Not the latest and greatest at the lowest prices but they served me well over the years.
Old 08-07-13, 07:40 PM

Is a refurb computer ok?
Old 08-07-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
Is a refurb computer ok?
It's a matter of opinion, but in my experience, refurbished computers, especially when refurbished by the manufacturer, work as well as a new PC. Sometimes refurbs come with a reduced warranty, but in the case of the Lenovo outlet, it's still a 1 year warranty, which is pretty standard for new PCs.

Lenovo Outlet also occasionally has PCs in new condition; ones that had their order cancelled before delivery but after it was assembled. Here's a listing for a new H430 tower with Intel Core i5-3330 for $430. They have several "scratch and dent" versions of this model (i.e. with some cosmetic damage to the exterior) for about $25 cheaper:
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...&Code=57311432
Old 08-07-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is a refurb computer ok?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It's a matter of opinion, but in my experience, refurbished computers, especially when refurbished by the manufacturer, work as well as a new PC. Sometimes refurbs come with a reduced warranty, but in the case of the Lenovo outlet, it's still a 1 year warranty, which is pretty standard for new PCs.
I agree 100%, if refurbed by the manufacturer, like Lenovo or HP or Dell, often times you end up with a 'better' computer as everything is tested before it is shipped to you. Warranties may vary, but I have never had a problem with a refurb that has been done by the OEM
Old 08-07-13, 11:20 PM

Thanks guys.. tempting... ill need to look qt it more tomorrow
Old 08-07-13, 11:32 PM

There's a lenovo h430 I could pick up for $361.000. Seems like a good deal.. or am I befter off with a scratch and dent....
Old 08-08-13, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been building all my recent computers but for family members I've been buying them from the dell outlet which have all been great and really cheap with their twitter 25% off coupons. Might be worth checking out.
Old 08-08-13, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Something to consider when buying refurbished vs new, new typically carries one year warranty, refurbished depends. But, with certain cc, they will extend the warranty an additional year for new items .

Speaking of cc perks, some cards offer Purchase protection (typically covers damage and loss within xx days of purchase) and price protection (price matching)
Old 08-09-13, 10:52 AM

Just found a lenovo h520 at staples for $400.00. What do you think?. It has a intel i3-3240 1tb hard drive windows 8 and 6 gb of ram
Old 08-09-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just found a lenovo h520 at staples for $400.00. What do you think?. It has a intel i3-3240 1tb hard drive windows 8 and 6 gb of ram
It looks fine. It doesn't mention if it has wifi or Bluetooth built in, do you want either of those? Maybe check the specs more if you go in store to look at it.

Staples has a Dell with Win 7 and 8GB ram for $30 more:
http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron.../product_12241

Also, Lenovo Outet has a few refurb K410 towers with about the same specs for $318.50, about $80 savings:
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...-2=8&facet-5=1
Old 08-09-13, 12:04 PM

I was thinking i was better of with windows 8... bit let me know. I also have a $10 coupon and get 5% back in rewards

Any ifea on the difference between h520, h430 and k410

What about the slim computerd? I have a firewire card I'm hoping to put in my new computer

And what is a better processor the i3 or the pentium g2020 2cores2threads

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 08-09-13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-09-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you plan any video editing, try to swing for at least an i5 quad core.

I would advise against slim computers, it may not allow for adding full sized cards.

saw some on lenovo outlet h430 for $406 before coupon

Processor: Intel Core i5-3330 Processor (4 cores / 4 threads, 3.00 GHz,6MB Cache)
Operating system: Windows 8 Standard 64 - English
Display: None - Desktop
Graphics: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Memory: 8GB (2 X 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM UDIMM Memory
Hard Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
Optical Drive: DVD Recordable Serial ATA
Old 08-09-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is a refurb computer ok?
In the last four years, I've bought PCs for the family from both the Dell and Lenovo. They were like new and have been running trouble free (at least hardware wise). If you watch the deal sites like fatwallet, slickdeals, techbargains, logicbuy, you can get a pretty good deal.
Old 08-09-13, 01:22 PM

What coupon is available on lenovo
Old 08-09-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

10% when you sign up for Email

http://m.retailmenot.com/view/lenovo.com
Old 08-09-13, 02:17 PM

Ill try that.. as much as I want to do video editing i probably never use it.. Wont the i3 be ok?
Old 08-09-13, 02:44 PM

Ok help quick. I see a h430 with i5 and 8g for $304

Then I see a k430 with i5 and 13 g with nvidia graphics for $392...

I also see h430 for with i3... but not sure ehy its $361..

Update... sold out

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 08-09-13 at 03:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.