Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

computer running really slow

Old 08-05-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

computer running really slow

I have a question. Does ITUNES consume alot of processing power? Whenever I run I tunes my computer runs extremely slow. So slow that I can even press buttons in itunes. Everything locks up and freezes.. and take forever to come unlocked.. When I play a song to hear if I like it in the store, it plays all blotchy.. So has my computer met its match?

The computer is about 14 years old.. Its a 2.0GHz celeron with 1 G of ram

is there something I can do to make it run faster?
Old 08-05-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: computer running really slow

At 14 years old, your computer doesn't have much of a chance of running anything new, especially iTunes. I've heard of iTunes being a resource hog on Windows, but my experience with it on Windows is pretty limited (Apple user here). Unfortunately the only advice I can offer you is buy a newer computer or look for a different music player program, although based on the age your computer's at, I would suspect you'd have similar problems with it as well.

Last edited by big e; 08-06-13 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can try something like winamp lite, it should use less resources than iTunes. If you use it a bit and you haven't reformatted in 14 years, you can try that too.
Old 08-05-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

iTunes is bloated crap that runs slow even on today's computers. Try foobar2000:
http://filehippo.com/download_foobar2000/

Hopefully you don't have the DRM songs like .m4p - m4a and mp3 are drm-free and can be played on foobar2000.
Old 08-06-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

See, even on a 14 year-old computer, the mere transfer of songs to an Ipod should be very fast and require virtually no processor power. Even on a 20 year old Pentium 233, it should work... But, the coders of today (especially Apple) use such bloated code, programming languages, and inefficient techniques. They are lazy and refuse to optimize code for slower processors.

Try foobar 2000, as suggested. It at least make the process somewhat less painful on a 14 year old PC.
Old 08-06-13, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At fourteen years old, with a Celeron and 1G of RAM, I'm surprised your computer will even run iTunes at all.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-06-13 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
See, even on a 14 year-old computer, the mere transfer of songs to an Ipod should be very fast and require virtually no processor power. Even on a 20 year old Pentium 233, it should work... But, the coders of today (especially Apple) use such bloated code, programming languages, and inefficient techniques. They are lazy and refuse to optimize code for slower processors.

Try foobar 2000, as suggested. It at least make the process somewhat less painful on a 14 year old PC.
To be fair, making iTunes work for people with 15 year-old computers probably isn't that high on the coders' priorities list.
Old 08-06-13, 04:25 PM

Understood... There's no money in it for the coders or Apple, of course. However, I think more of an attempt should be made to optimize code in the spirit of good programming technique.
Old 08-06-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not just the age of the computer. His CPU is based on the NetBurst architecture, which was notorious for being terribly inefficient, and performing actual work slowly, despite the high clock speeds. The architecture dead-ended, and everything after it was leaps and bounds better.
Old 08-07-13, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing to look at is RAM usage. Check how much RAM is being used in Task Manager while iTunes is running. It could be that it's having to do a lot of swapping with the page file if RAM is used up. Try eliminating programs that sit in the system tray, or at least stop them from starting automatically when you boot up.

Alternatively, you could increase your RAM, but at this point it'd probably be better to get a whole new PC rather than upgrade the hardware in the existing. Also, I assume the PC is running XP, which loses extended support in April 2014, so you should upgrade the PC before then anyway.

Another option may be to look at using an older version of iTunes. However, I'm not sure how far back Apple supports the use of the iTunes Store; they may have stopped supporting the store in older versions.
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes/
http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php
Old 08-07-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
At fourteen years old, with a Celeron and 1G of RAM, I'm surprised your computer will even run iTunes at all.
He does meet and exceed the minimum requirements.

Windows System Requirements
PC with a 1GHz Intel or AMD processor and 512MB of RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, 32-bit editions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Old 08-07-13, 09:09 AM

Bear in mind that Apple has deliberately coded iTunes to run poorly in Windows so when users see it running great on a Mac they consider switching sides.
Old 08-07-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
He does meet and exceed the minimum requirements.

Windows System Requirements
PC with a 1GHz Intel or AMD processor and 512MB of RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, 32-bit editions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Yeah, it might say that on paper, but in reality, I don't think that's probably enough to run iTunes (or any piece of bloatware software written in the past five years. I don't think I'd want to be operating any system without at least 4GB of RAM.

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Bear in mind that Apple has deliberately coded iTunes to run poorly in Windows so when users see it running great on a Mac they consider switching sides.
Can't tell if you're serious or not... But goddamn, any software from Apple is a bloated mess. I remember, a long time ago, wondering why a QT player installer was about five times the size of a VLC player installer. Especially when VLC is a far superior player.
Old 08-08-13, 11:41 PM
Political Exile

14 years old? No offence intended, but
Old 08-09-13, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could upgrade it to an SSD, that would speed it up maybe, but would it be worth it?
Old 08-09-13, 04:37 AM

Hey, man, I commend his continued use of (what *should* be) a fully functional 14-year old system. Most of what the average user does *should* require very little CPU power -- browsing, writing letters / emails, simple song and graphics viewing. The exception is heavy video playback, but even a 20 year old system should still be able to play DVDs (ie, 480p video), with a well-optimized DVD software player. They existed, for Windows 95, I remember and in fact still have some of them. Hell, I still use 20-year old computers with DOS. They have their uses -- playing old games, running old code, for example.

The problem is one of bloat, feature creep and a phantasmagoria of eye candy which most of us don't want, need, or should even have. All of this in the name of 'progress'.

Where have all the great Assembly coders gone?
Old 08-09-13, 07:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
You can try something like winamp lite, it should use less resources than iTunes. If you use it a bit and you haven't reformatted in 14 years, you can try that too.
I agree with reformatting and reinstalling everything from scratch. It will give that old computer a new lease on life (provided the hardware is in good running condition) and allow it to run as well as it possibly can.

Assuming Windows XP:
http://www.blackviper.com/os-install...install-guide/

Have your device drivers ready before you start (download to CD or flash drive) and be prepared to spend some time reinstalling updates & applications while getting your computer back up to snuff.

Might also consider blowing the dust & dirt accumulation from inside the computer and the fans (including processor fan), hold them in place while blowing them out, and inside the case with canned air.

I work on computers for a living. People are under the false impression that when a computer starts to run slowly (or gets a virus or spyware), you throw it away and buy a new one, when in fact you can have the equivalent of a new computer simply by wiping and reinstalling everything from scratch. Granted, a 14 year old computer is getting up there, but if you really don't want to spend the $$$ on a new one, and the hardware is still viable, then this is a practical solution.
Old 08-09-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody has addressed my idea of upgrading to an SSD, and I myself am curious about this as I have a 10 year old system which is now being used as a spare computer. It's Windows XP and I would reinstall XP due primarily to the difficulty of finding drivers for some of the outdated hardware. So, would it benefit the OP (or me) to replace the existing HDD with an SSD? Of course then we would both have to reinstall everything, but I am very curious.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

- guys, let the old computers die

Seriously, even stretching it a bit, you shouldn't be using hardware older then the Conroe these days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroe_...roprocessor%29

Let Windows XP die as well, move to Windows 7 or 8 ASAP

Danwiz, yes, using an SSD will help the performance of any computer currently using a mechanical hard drive. Not a smart move on a machine that old though, you can get a new machine for $300, it doesn't make any sense to keep the old stuff running or try to add parts to improve it

BTW - Windows XP goes end of life by Microsoft April 2014 - this means no more windows updates available to the public for free (read no more security fixes, and even though you may think XP is secure in it's old age, it is not, it is more wide open than you could imagine)

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows XP, the time has come to say goodbye to it.
Old 08-10-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I don't see the point of spending money on an SSD to keep a decade old system up and running. If you're going to think about spending the money, might as well get a used system that's better all around.
Old 08-10-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No point in upgrading to ssd with the existing cpu. Not to mention, it would have to be an ide ssd, which is not that popular, or you would need to get an sata card

Now, the cpu is horrible, even 14 years ago. Nowadays the Celeron are pretty good (for basic usage). An ivy bridge Celeron is around $50 . trouble is, he would need a new mobo and ram and most likely psu. New mobo supporting ivy bridge probably doesn't have ide connectors, so you would also have to get an ide card for the drives, or buy new drives.

Everything starts to add up, and honestly it is cheaper just to get a new pc.

I was lucky when upgrading my parents pc that I got a good deal on the cpu/mobo ($25 for both the e3300+mobo),and that the mobo supported ide and sata.
Old 08-10-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just bought a new pc.. see the other thread.. mm ow to fi gure out how to transfer my library to my new pc
Old 08-10-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for your input on SSD's on old systems folks. Sorry to somewhat hijack your thread ANDREMIKE!

See your other thread for my input on the file transfer.