Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question Regarding Internet Speed

Old 07-29-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question Regarding Internet Speed

First, let me preface by saying I live in a large apartment complex.

I have Comcast's Blast! Plus package, which should cap out at 50mbps. I've never once come close to this. My speeds fluctuate wildly, but for the most part I'm in the mid-teens range (usually 15 or 16 down / 9 or 10 up). This past weekend I couldn't stream Netflix or do much of anything since I was topping out at about 2 (!) megs down.

I've called Comcast on the issue numerous times. I've followed every suggestion they give, have had them cycle the modem every time, and nothing improves. I rent a modem, and I've swapped it out a handful of times. I've had the Comcast technician come here and look at my connection in my wall and outside, and generally their only explanation is that its due to me living in an apartment complex and there's strain on the lines.

Regarding that, I guess I'll buy it since it's the only explanation that makes sense. But, aside from the fact that I live in an apartment, is there anything I can do on my end to boost my speeds? Would buying a specific modem help? I do have everything set up through a router, which I've read can cause a hiccup in speed, but even when I hardwire my laptop I'm not seeing much improvement.

It's increasingly frustrating. Comcast has been crediting my account for what seems like forever due to off-and-on outages with the service and for my overall inability to get the promised speeds out of their service.

I'm thinking I just live in a crappy area, but thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions.
Old 07-29-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Question Regarding Internet Speed

Which modem do you have now?

Did you check signal strength?

Also are you watching Netflix on a hard line or over wifi?
Old 07-29-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I currently have an Arris CM820 modem.

My signal strength on my laptop is always "Excellent" and my Sony BDP-S570 is almost always at 100%. I stream Netflix over WiFi, and get HD with no buffering probably 60% of the time.

My thing is I shouldn't even have an issue since if I had the promised speeds of up to 50mbps then there'd be no buffering when it came to any content.
Old 07-30-13, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cable internet is pooled, meaning everyone in the neighborhood is sucking on the same pipe. Basically, the more people in your apartment building that are using their internet at the same time you are will suck up the communal bandwidth. The fact you never get anywhere near 50 tells me that,

That being said, this effect is not supposed to be as bad as it once was. I've been on TWC cable since January and my speed is constantly at the advertised rate of 15 down/1 up. So either there aren't a lot of people in my neighborhood using TWC, or TWC is providing a fat enough pipe for everyone to use.

I don't think it's anything on your end, it's more that Comcast isn't delivering enough bandwidth for your apartment complex to handle what your complex needs. Aside from complaining to them about never getting the advertised speed, I don't think there's much you can do. To me, saying you live in an apartment is a cop out.

I'm no expert on the subject, so I'll just direct you to a pretty good forum for things like this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast

If anyone outside of Comcast can help you, you'd find them there.
Old 07-30-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was referring to cable modem signal strength, not Wifi signal strength :

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/c...al-levels-1197

The other issue could be that there are too many people on the Wifi band that you are on, causing congestion.

You might want to try to hardwire for a short time to see if you still have streaming issues. Even At 15mbps down, you should have no problems Netflix 1080p uses about 5mbps. At 2mbps,you should still be able to stream good quality, not 1080p though. The restriction seems to be network capacity, so a higher package won't really help.

Your modem is fine, it has 8 bonded downstream channels.(some docsis 3 modems only have 4 bonded downstream channels)

With that said, for your uses, 50mbps package may be overkill

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I currently have an Arris CM820 modem.

My signal strength on my laptop is always "Excellent" and my Sony BDP-S570 is almost always at 100%. I stream Netflix over WiFi, and get HD with no buffering probably 60% of the time.

My thing is I shouldn't even have an issue since if I had the promised speeds of up to 50mbps then there'd be no buffering when it came to any content.
Old 07-30-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Fios and still I have issues with Netflix going in and out of HD. It was particularly frustrating while watching Orange is the New Black. I watch on Xbox and I can see it go from HD all the way down to 1 bars more frequently than I feel it should.

I thought maybe it was my Xbox so used Netflix on my WDTV with the same issues. I am hardwired. Am I being throttled or something?
Old 07-30-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Possibly but that seems unusual. I don't remember the last time I wasn't in HD on Netflix, what kind of bandwidth do you get over Fios?

Comcast here is 30/6.

Also is your router/modem a Wireless AP as well? I've had problems with my Motorola Internet/Phone/Wifi device's Wifi for some time, it'll say full strength and simply not be working for shit, but if you hardwire it's fine (I went so far as to buy a separate Wireless Router). My old WRT54G does this now as well.

It isn't all the time, it just happens sporadically.
Old 07-30-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just tested it and got 16 down and 5 up. It is the Verizon supplied router which, and not one of the newer ones. I may give them a call.
Old 07-30-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I just tested it and got 16 down and 5 up. It is the Verizon supplied router which, and not one of the newer ones. I may give them a call.
That sounds like their lowest tier... Do you know what tier you have?
Old 07-30-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
IWith that said, for your uses, 50mbps package may be overkill
I don't know how to detemine cable modem strength.

I'm paying the equivalent of their 3mbps package for the next 6 months as part of a promotion. I don't necessarily think I need speeds of this caliber either since I don't game or suck up tons of bandwidth, but it'd be nice to at least come close.

The old Blast! Plus package was 25mbps but they doubled their speeds in April and touted it as reaching that fast, so much as to "guarantee" it.

I called yesterday and they're gonna knock another $15 off my bill for the next few months as an apology so I can't complain. I was just hoping there was something not technical that was in my reach to help me out.

Buffering HD content on Netflix irriates me to no end regardless of what I'm paying for my service, though. I just want relatively fast speeds.
Old 07-30-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
That sounds like their lowest tier... Do you know what tier you have?
I have the standard Fios triple play package. I don't pay for Quantum. I would think that would be enough to not have to downgrade from HD constantly on Netflix.
Old 07-30-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I have the standard Fios triple play package. I don't pay for Quantum. I would think that would be enough to not have to downgrade from HD constantly on Netflix.
Oh I agree, thats why Im wondering if its something else...