Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PC Speakers Problem

Old 07-23-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PC Speakers Problem

So I checked online, and I can't seem to find what I am looking for. There's answers to part of the problem, it's just switched around.....

I can hear music and sounds on Youtube. Pull up a video there, no problem. But any other sounds, my music, the PC startup sounds, etc, there's nothing. No sound at all.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Obviously the wires are connected right and not faulty, and the speakers aren't muted if I can hear sounds on Youtube, right?
Old 07-23-13, 09:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: PC Speakers Problem

You should have a little speaker icon on your Windows taskbar. It's usually all the way to the far right. If you see little arrows there, click those to show all of the icons. Anyway, right click the speaker icon and choose Open Volume Mixer (or something like that... depends on which version of Windows you're running). Make sure all the volume bars shown are maxed out, except maybe Microphone, if it is listed.

Not guaranteed to work, but that's my first suggestion based on the info.
Old 08-06-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tried it, didn't work.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-09-13, 06:07 AM

Ascertain all the wires interior the speaker. Do they all emerge to be protected? If you glimpse solder joints is the solder glossy and glossy, or boring and pebbly? Then solve it.
Old 08-09-13, 07:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would say try uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers. Any idea what audio you have in your computer? Device Manager should give you some basic information but an application like Speccy should give you greater detail. Be sure to opt out of the extraneous stuff that wants to tag along for the ride.

I might suggest that once you find out what audio you have that you download the most current version of the driver and have it ready. Your computer manufacturer's website will more than like have the audio driver in their downloads section for your particular computer, may not be the most recent driver available but it should do in a pinch.
Old 08-09-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What OS?
Old 08-09-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you hear anything if you go to Sounds in Control Panel and test the speakers?