Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What's this computer message?

Old 07-22-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's this computer message?

This morning my desktop had black screen with following message:

Reboot and select proper boot device or
Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Computer had been on all night. This was the screen when I got up this morning. What's it mean, and what are you supposed to do?

10 year old desktop with Windows XP.
Old 07-22-13, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What's this computer message?

Press ESC during startup to see if you can get to the boot menu and select your hdd to load from.
Old 07-22-13, 07:08 AM

If ESC doesn't work try F10 or F12. If your HD doesn't show up in the boot menu then odds are it died in the middle of the night.
Old 07-22-13, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like you maybe had an HDD failure during the night. Good luck!
Old 07-22-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Windows was up and running when message first appeared. I shut computer off and then pressed on again. Windows loaded normally, except it went through a disc check for errors. Once desktop was up I went online and poked around doing stuff. Worked fine. Then after awhile i went back to the message screen. Nothing gets you out of the screen(that I know of). It's like Windows loads ok when you start computer but then becomes unloaded or disconnected while running. Recently opened and cleaned out, then moved to another room. Could power cord to drive not be secure?
Old 07-22-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Windows was up and running when message first appeared. I shut computer off and then pressed on again. Windows loaded normally, except it went through a disc check for errors. Once desktop was up I went online and poked around doing stuff. Worked fine. Then after awhile i went back to the message screen. Nothing gets you out of the screen(that I know of). It's like Windows loads ok when you start computer but then becomes unloaded or disconnected while running. Recently opened and cleaned out, then moved to another room. Could power cord to drive not be secure?
Could be. When in doubt, check all physical connections first before assuming hardware failure.
Old 07-22-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Double check you don't have any Android devices or usb flash drives plugged in - sometimes the PC will detect that as a bootable file system and fail to boot from it, if flash drives are your first boot device in the BIOS.
Old 07-22-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whatever you do, your first step should be to back up everything you can't afford to lose. Whenever I see unusual behavior it's the first thing I do. Only then do I begin researching further.
Old 07-22-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talked to a repair tech. He thinks it's malware. Something is making the computer reboot on it's own after being idle for awhile. When it does this Windows doesn't load. If you manually reboot the computer Windows loads normally.
Old 07-22-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a setting that has windowsXP automatically reboot on blue screens. If you have that enabled (and many OEMS do by default) then a disk error could cause this issue. If the the disc controller is malfunctioning and locks up it could cause a BSOD, which triggers an automatic reboot, but the disc does not respond so you get an no bootable media message.

Google: turn off automatic restart blue screen XP
Old 07-22-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
There is a setting that has windowsXP automatically reboot on blue screens. If you have that enabled (and many OEMS do by default) then a disk error could cause this issue. If the the disc controller is malfunctioning and locks up it could cause a BSOD, which triggers an automatic reboot, but the disc does not respond so you get an no bootable media message.

Google: turn off automatic restart blue screen XP
Thanks. Unchecked the automatic restart. Should whatever caused the reboots occur again, what will happen instead? Just a blank blue screen? How do you get out of that?
Old 07-22-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will get a blue screen with an error message and code. That will give you something to go on but if it is a hardware issue it could generate any number of error codes.

While the computer is running you might want too look over the logs in Event Viewer. Check the Application and System logs for errors. You may find BSOD related errors, but they may not get saved to the log.
Old 07-23-13, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started computer up this morning and it start doing a disc check to check for inconsistency in hard drive. Mentioned Type of file system - NTFS

10% into disc check got a blue screen error: c0000218 unknown hard error

Couldn't get out of blue screen so shut computer off, then turned back on. Again wanted to disc check. I hit a key and skipped it, Windows loaded normally. Operating normally.

This may be a big tell. I have an external CD/DVD drive that has always been designated as drive J. Looking under My Computer it is still listed as drive J. However, when using the drive it comes up as G (Nero, etc.). Under My Computer, G is still designated as memory stick like always.
Old 07-23-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You won't be able to get out of blue screen (it's called the blue screen of death for a reason). The only thing you can do is note the error message and restart the computer.

I think Danwiz was right and your HDD is failing. First thing I would do since it's still running intermittently is to get whatever you want off that drive backed up off that drive ASAP. I had a similar HDD issue a few months ago. It happened once, and then a few weeks later, and then a few hours later, and quickly it wouldn't even last long enough to boot.

The best way to test it would be to hook it up to another machine and run the mfg's fitness test on it.
Old 07-23-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As others have said, be sure to back-up everything which is important to you - immediately.

In addition, if HDD is failing then I hope that you'll also make a disc image so that you can put it on a new HDD and not to have to reinstall EVERYTHING!
Old 07-24-13, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post

In addition, if HDD is failing then I hope that you'll also make a disc image so that you can put it on a new HDD and not to have to reinstall EVERYTHING!
How do you make this disc image? The only reason I "cling" to this 10 year old with XP is because of the software on it that I use a lot!. One software is no longer availabe, another the latest version no longer has a feature I like. These are old versions not compatible with Windows 7 or 8. Even doing a disc image those software won't work on new computer? This sounds worth doing for the software that is compatible though.
Old 07-24-13, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Acronis True Image, Windows backup, etc.

Forgot a free and good one - AOMEI partition assistant allows you to migrate your OS to a different (external or internal) HDD or SSD. It does this by copying EVERYTHING from your C drive to an unallocated space on a different drive. So, therefore it's a good idea to partition that unallocated space to the same size as your current drive is. I don't know what would happen if your current C (OS) Drive was, say 100 GB and you attempted to migrate it to a 200 GB unallocated space, or a 50 GB unallocated space.

Last edited by danwiz; 07-24-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 09:49 PM

I created a Windows Virtual PC running WinXP on my Windows 7 system. Might be an option for you. It runs all my old software that I don't want to give up. I actually created two - one is my pr0n viewer
Old 07-27-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

problem resolved rw2516? Or still fighting with it?
Old 07-27-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like another awesome Windows 7 "update". I installed the update a while back and the update was just a disaster. Windows doesn't even know which security updates should be first, or which updates are not necessary as they've been replaced by another. Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually has a pulse at MS or it's just running itself.
Old 07-28-13, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
problem resolved rw2516? Or still fighting with it?
I'm resolved to use computer till it dies and then get new one. I start it in the morning, skip the disc check, Windows loads normally, runs fine all day, shut off at night.
I figure that one morning Windows just won't load, or blue screen will appear while running and won't load again after being shut off.
Nothing important stored on it. Just use it for printing and anything involving making CDs and DVDs.