Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad picture (blocky artifacts) with DVD Flick/Shrink and ImgBurn

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-14-13, 08:29 PM
Cool New Member

I am attempting to burn some video files onto a 4.7 GB DVD-R using DVD Flick. After I loaded the titles (four videos, averaging about 1.4 GB each) into DVD Flick, it began the very long process of creating the DVD, menus and all. After my VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders had been successfully created, I attempted to then burn them to the DVD-R using ImgBurn; however, I was told that the size was too big for the target disc. I then went to DVD Shrink to compress the files (used the "Backup" option so that I could retain DVD menus). After that was done, I went back to ImgBurn and loaded the compressed files I got from DVD Shrink. This time they fit onto the disc (barely, at 99% used).

In the end, when I popped the DVD in my player, what I got was an image that was full of artifacts. It's like watching a video on YouTube with a bad connection, and these were originally 720p videos. What did I do wrong here? My original thought was maybe this is a result of too much compression, but I compressed as little as I could while still being able to fit the entire project onto my DVD-R disc. I then tried loading 3 video files into DVD Flick (instead of 4) to see if ImgBurn would fit them all onto the disc without the need for compression using DVD Shrink, and while the file wasn't as big, it was still too big to fit onto the DVD-R, so DVD Shrink would have still been necessary. Anyone know how I might be able to burn these files, preferably using the above programs, without any of these annoying artifacts showing up? Thanks.
Old 06-14-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Bad picture (blocky artifacts) with DVD Flick/Shrink and ImgBurn

I think this goes against forum rules I'm afraid. Don't fight it, you will wind up banned.
Old 06-14-13, 10:45 PM
Cool New Member

Really? I didn't realize. I did not say that these were copyrighted materials I am trying to burn.
Old 06-17-13, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What format are your original files in? You are going from 1280x720 down to the very lossy MPEG-2 codec at 720x480. Really all you can do is put one clip on a disc for best results. But, Really the best way would be to get a Blu-ray burner, and author to that. That way you can keep the full 720p resolution, and possibly with no reencoding, if the original coden is blu-ray compatible.
Old 06-17-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or use a dual-layer DVD-R.
Old 06-18-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been using the progam ConvertXtoDvd4/5 & never have the problems you seem to be having. I put about 4 episodes on each dvd-r which is about 4-4.5 hours.
Old 06-23-13, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You mentioned the size of the files is over a GB each. This does not matter. What does matter is the length of the video. If you have 3+ hrs of video on a single layer disc its going to look like shit.