Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Possible Scamming Phone calls?

Old 06-11-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Possible Scamming Phone calls?

Has anyone had any problems in the past with someone possibly using your number to scam others?

I ask because a handful or so times over the year I'll usually get a call from a number I don't recognize so I'll let it go to voicemail and then check it later and it's an agitated elderly person usually asking why I was calling and asking for information.

Sometimes I'll call back and say I didn't call and didn't know what they were talking about.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before. I've gone into my Verizon acct. and blocked the numbers usually after this happens, but not really sure WHY it is happening in the first place.

Thanks OP!
Old 06-11-13, 08:30 PM

Re: Possible Scamming Phone calls?

Could be somebody sending a fake number over caller ID. If this is the case, I doubt there's anything you can do about it.

Also could be that the old folks are writing the number down wrong or hitting a wrong digit when calling manually rather than using a callback function on their phones.