Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Facebook sucks.. please help....

Old 06-08-13, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Facebook sucks.. please help....

These settings are ridiculous. I just looked at my timeline and its showing anyone I have searched for, comment I have left for other users pictures, comments I have left on users profiles/timeline/whateverthefuck. Is there a setting to keep all this private?
Old 06-08-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you looking at your timeline or your activity log?
Old 06-08-13, 11:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Facebook sucks.. please help...

When you're viewing your own timeline or activity log, that's what you see... everything. But each thing should have a little icon that shows you who that thing is visible to. So, if you see a little "world" icon, it's 100% public. If it shows an outline of two people, I think that means "friends only" or something. If you move your mouse over that icon, it'll tell you who can see that update.
Old 06-08-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly. When you look at your own timeline, it shows everything (there would be almost no point in looking at your own timeline if it hid your own activity from you). The entire point is to allow you to see what has been logged for you, and allow you to either edit the visibility or remove the item(s).
Old 06-08-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If he's seeing people he searched for, it's probably his activity log.
Old 06-08-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah activity log is what I was looking at. Think I'm deleting my account, it's gotten too bloated and the settings to me are confusing. Was much better when it was simpler.
Old 06-09-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congratulations (if you actually go ahead and delete your account)!
Old 06-09-13, 07:18 PM
En vacance

Facebook is the gayest shit ever. It's just ... like the darkside, crack cocaine, i mean it has no actual fucking use to it. It reminds me a lot of Reality TV for some reason. I've had it since 08 but just deleted it, and now... nothing is really different at all except this whole "oh my i wonder what they're doing right now" thought process has been lifted which is refreshing. The clouds have lifted from mine eyes.
Old 06-09-13, 10:49 PM

I have a question too. None of the businesses/music groups I have liked are showing up on the news feed (yes, I hovered over the like button and the "show in news feed" is checked off). I have to view them in the Pages Feed. I have no idea how this happened but the only reason I keep up with facebook is mainly for info from bars/restaurants and bands info and this Pages Feed option is not a part of my android app.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 06-09-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You can clear that search history with one button press.
Old 06-11-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EEz28 View Post
I have a question too. None of the businesses/music groups I have liked are showing up on the news feed (yes, I hovered over the like button and the "show in news feed" is checked off). I have to view them in the Pages Feed. I have no idea how this happened but the only reason I keep up with facebook is mainly for info from bars/restaurants and bands info and this Pages Feed option is not a part of my android app.

Hope that makes sense.
Can you view Interests lists? I created an interest list that I dump all of the stuff you mentioned into.
Old 06-14-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Contact the Facebook help desk?
Old 07-10-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I realize it's fun to bash people for using Facebook but I like it. I us it to keep up with friends and family.
Old 07-11-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EEz28 View Post

Hope that makes sense.
FB changed the feed so that business-type pages display to only about 15% of the people who "like" them. They then mention to the people running those pages (I run a couple) that they can pay to give their posts greater exposure (meaning people like you who would presumably be interested and would have seen it in the past). Just another way of trying to monetize themselves.
Old 07-24-13, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

FB changed the feed so that business-type pages display to only about 15% of the people who "like" them. They then mention to the people running those pages (I run a couple) that they can pay to give their posts greater exposure (meaning people like you who would presumably be interested and would have seen it in the past). Just another way of trying to monetize themselves.
This explains why I have been missing out on so much lately. It's so frustrating to see a post in reference to a previous post but never having seen the original post.
Old 07-26-13, 04:29 PM

Check Twitter to see if the business forwards their Facebook messages there. If they do you will see all Facebook postings, usually with a link back to the full Facebook post.