Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ipod Classic problem.... or is it Itunes?

Old 06-02-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ipod Classic problem.... or is it Itunes?

So if anyone remembers my thread I bought an ipod classic a month ago. Im filling it with songs and having a fuck load of problems. Heres the list:

-Songs disappearing from ipod
-a song not wanting to play on ipod but plays on itunes
-songs transfering out of order (opeth)
-The same album appearing twice on the ipod
-not being able to manually insert your own album art when the art cannot be found
-ipod froze twice when i plugged it into the computer so it had to be reset.
-One time I had to unplug the ipod and reload the computer because a message popped up saying that the ipod coudn't connect to itunes because it was possibly corrupted.

- I used aan ipod nano to test if it was my ipod and alot of the same problems carried over to that ipod, which never had any problems. Which leads me to hope that its tunes

Thats a fuck load of problems. I bought it at Best Buy a month ago and I would just return it but the bastards only give 15 days now! So I dont know if my NEW ipod is busted or its itunes. It better be itunes! And is there a way to revert back to an older one or something? I had to get verion 11.1 or something when I got this ipod and it sucked not being able to use my old version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-02-13, 01:31 PM

Re: Ipod Classic problem.... or is it Itunes?

Is it still under warrently? Take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store.
Old 06-02-13, 01:44 PM

Under Best Buys warranty? I didnt buy one :\

Or under Apples warranty? I just got it a month ago so it should be. Dont know how long they cover it for. Despite buying it at BB I can take it to an apple store? Grrr..... I hope this is fixable
Old 06-02-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes. Apple's warranty is 1 year. They will help you troubleshoot it at the Genius Bar. Alternatively, you are also eligible for telephone support within the first 90 days of purchase, 800-275-2273.

You can also start here:

https://expresslane.apple.com/Getpro...oupList.action

And if you want old iTunes, you can get it here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads#itunes%2010.7

Last edited by TheBang; 06-02-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 01:46 PM

Ohhh very cool. Thanks alot man. I will give them a call before going into the store and see where to go from there. I hope its as simple as an itunes problem cuz i dont want my new ipod to be jacked already!
Old 06-03-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
So if anyone remembers my thread
Why not just update that thread instead of making a new one?
Old 06-03-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Thats a fuck load of problems. I bought it at Best Buy a month ago and I would just return it but the bastards only give 15 days now! So I dont know if my NEW ipod is busted or its itunes. It better be itunes! And is there a way to revert back to an older one or something? I had to get verion 11.1 or something when I got this ipod and it sucked not being able to use my old version.
I'd say it's probably a problem with iTunes since it's doing to two different iPods.

I don't think Apple keeps old versions of iTunes available; they always try to force the newest version of anything on you. You still don't have the installer for an older version on your HD, do you?

Not sure why you had to upgrade iTunes to 11 for a iPod Classic, though. They haven't updated those models in years, have they? I would think that an older version of iTunes would be fine with one of those, and maybe even preferable.
Old 06-03-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I don't think Apple keeps old versions of iTunes available; they always try to force the newest version of anything on you.
As I linked above in my post, old versions of iTunes are available in the Support Downloads section.
Old 06-04-13, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might not be easy to downgrade back to a 10.x version. I use a iPhone 5, iPad 2 and a Classic all on 10.x Lots of issues and feature loss with 11.
Old 06-04-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
As I linked above in my post, old versions of iTunes are available in the Support Downloads section.
Missed your post. That's actually pretty impressive on Apple's part.

I know that I've run into some trouble before where I upgraded a piece of software only to find out that it had issues with my system, it was buggy, or I just hated the update, only to find out that the software maker didn't keep an archive of older versions online. So, for the past fifteen years or so I've made it a point to keep a backup of all of my program installers.