Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to find longest-lasting laptop battery?

Old 06-01-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

How to find longest-lasting laptop battery?

Thought I'd try asking this here, I know relatively little about computers in general despite my long experience with them. The battery that came with my Gateway laptop is no longer recharging so I assume it's dead and am looking for a replacement. When the battery was new, it only lasted an hour or so before it needed recharging- do any replacement batteries exist that would last longer, or are they all the same? If there is a difference in how long a battery can run between charges, what do I need to look for?
Old 06-01-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How to find longest-lasting laptop battery?

If it was lasting only an hour with the new battery.... I'd guess that maybe you can get a 9-cell battery for your model - most laptop batteries are 6-cell, so it'd be more expensive.

What kind of laptop is it? Model? CPU? How old is the laptop?
Old 06-02-13, 12:25 AM
X
Administrator

What model is it? An hour is ridiculously short.
Old 06-03-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While the number of cells is a decent rough way of estimating battery life, what's far more important is the milliampere-hour (mAh) rating of the battery. The higher the mAh, the longer the charge:

http://mobileraptor.blogspot.com/201...cells-but.html
http://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/...Qs-s/11929.htm

As X pointed out, 1 hour of charge on a laptop battery is pretty low. There's some low budget laptops that include really weak batteries in order to keep costs low. Typically you can find higher capacity batteries from the manufacturer for sale.

Third-party manufacturers often make higher-power batteries for laptops. However, these are typically from no-name manufacturers, and can vary wildly in quality, even from the same manufacturer. Do research on a good brand/model battery for you brand/model laptop.

Another option is an external battery, plugged into your laptop. This can provide extra power, but it's another device to carry around and charge. As a bonus, some of these can also charge a phone or mp3 player while powering the laptop:
http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html

Another thing to consider is what the settings are on your laptop when it's on battery power, and what all it is running. There may be manufacturer-specific energy saving features, as well as those built into the OS. Plus, getting rid of all the bloatware that comes with a PC could increase battery life, as the laptop isn't wasting energy running useless programs.