Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will Microsoft call you to fix problems?

Old 05-18-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will Microsoft call you to fix problems?

Some guy wakes me from my nap telling me he's from Microsoft and wanted to help me with the problems I've been having with Windows.

Problem one; he woke me from my nap so I was ornery
Problem two; caller ID read Out Of Area
Problem Three; He had a heavy, heavy Indian accent and I can't understand him. That made me more ornery
Problem four; Not sure of what error messages he was referring to

So what's the scam? He wanted me to sit down at my computer, I just hung up on him.

Anyone else get this? Am I just being paranoid and Microsoft is being proactive for Windows 8 users?

Edit: Found out this is an ongoing scam in an effort to grab peoples personal info. They are convincing though. They seem to know you. Had he not had that accent which annoys me I might have been susceptible.

Last edited by JimRochester; 05-18-13 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Will Microsoft call you to fix problems?

My mom answered a call by these people and thought they were talking about Windows for their house, lol. She knew it was a scam though and quickly dispensed of the guy.
Old 05-18-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a similar call a few days back. It was a local number (North Dakota number that came up as some sort of call center when googled), but yeah, had an accent and said some ridiculous stuff about being from your "computer windows".
Old 05-18-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If this is the same scam I've heard of, the concept isn't so much personal info, as much as it is taking your computer hostage.

They want you to go to your computer to allow them to have remote desktop access to your system. Then they run their "software" to look for "problems," which of course they find plenty of. At this point, they offer to "fix" the "problems" as long as you pay them.
Old 05-18-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I put them on hold to go get my computer. Kept coming g back to them every few minutes telling them I was booting. They figured it out after about 10 minutes or so..
Old 05-18-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have some much fun with them.
Old 05-19-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I would have some much fun with them.
I think it would be fun if you were some super hacker to fuck with these guys. Basically, allow them in to your system, but then hack them back and just wreck whatever computer they are using.
Old 05-19-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I think it would be fun if you were some super hacker to fuck with these guys. Basically, allow them in to your system, but then hack them back and just wreck whatever computer they are using.
He didn't hack them back, but this guy played along to see what they would do:

http://www.darkreading.com/end-user/...ntiv/240001025
Old 05-19-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk God

good read, thanks for posting.
Old 05-19-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, there is also a youtube link. Wish I had some of that knowledge
Old 05-19-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
If this is the same scam I've heard of, the concept isn't so much personal info, as much as it is taking your computer hostage.

They want you to go to your computer to allow them to have remote desktop access to your system. Then they run their "software" to look for "problems," which of course they find plenty of. At this point, they offer to "fix" the "problems" as long as you pay them.
My wife fell victim to this exact scam about two years ago. I legitimately could have killed her for being so damn gullible. The call came in when I was at work. Caller ID showed a Washington state phone number. She answered it and managed to get herself locked out of the computer. After she figured out what happened, I left work early to try and see what I could do. The answer was absolutely nothing. I couldn't boot up in safe mode or anything. I called the number from the caller ID and he still claimed to be from Microsoft. We eventually got to a point in the conversation where he told me that he'd unlock my computer for $200. I ended up having to take the computer to Best Buy and dropped damn near $200 anyway for them to take care of it. All they did was wipe my hard drive and sell me an upsell me on their antivirus protection which my computer couldn't run anyway.
Old 05-19-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My mom got a call from these people, but the number was from Dallas (which is where she lives).

Heavy Indian accent. Microsoft Repair or Windows Repair (something like that) was the actual name of the company. They asked her to install TeamViewer which is a remote desktop type application. They ran some spyware scanning program and found a bunch of "issues". They then asked for $45 to fix the problem or something like that and tried to have her paypal the money to them. She logged into paypal, attempted to transfer the money, something didn't work right and then she got paranoid and hung up on them and frantically texted me.

I changed her paypal password from my computer, then logged into her computer that night remotely. Turns out, they hadn't installed anything on her computer other than the spyware scanner which was legitimate. The only website they visited was the one the Spyware scanner came from. They also just had her run TeamViewer and not even install it. It was essentially a scam, but an honest one if you can believe it. They didn't hack anything and nothing else had been modified. They just wanted her to pay them to run the spyware scanner and fix the issues it found.
Old 05-19-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Four simple words got these scammers off my back: "I don't own a computer."

I should have played around with them, instead.
Old 05-19-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
My wife fell victim to this exact scam about two years ago. I legitimately could have killed her for being so damn gullible. The call came in when I was at work. Caller ID showed a Washington state phone number. She answered it and managed to get herself locked out of the computer. After she figured out what happened, I left work early to try and see what I could do. The answer was absolutely nothing. I couldn't boot up in safe mode or anything. I called the number from the caller ID and he still claimed to be from Microsoft. We eventually got to a point in the conversation where he told me that he'd unlock my computer for $200. I ended up having to take the computer to Best Buy and dropped damn near $200 anyway for them to take care of it. All they did was wipe my hard drive and sell me an upsell me on their antivirus protection which my computer couldn't run anyway.
Couldn't you just have installed the os yourself? Windows is pretty straight forward to install. Just take the hdd and put it as a slave drive on another pc, get whatever files you need, then move the hdd back to the original computer and install windows. During the process, it will give you the option to format and partition.

Thats what I did when my dad saw some popup claiming that he had a virus or something and that they could fix it. I just did a clean install since I didn't want to spend time troubleshooting, and potentially missing some spyware,malware, or virus.
Old 05-19-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Couldn't you just have installed the os yourself? Windows is pretty straight forward to install. Just take the hdd and put it as a slave drive on another pc, get whatever files you need, then move the hdd back to the original computer and install windows. During the process, it will give you the option to format and partition.

Thats what I did when my dad saw some popup claiming that he had a virus or something and that they could fix it. I just did a clean install since I didn't want to spend time troubleshooting, and potentially missing some spyware,malware, or virus.
Had cooler minds prevailed, I probably could have done it myself. However, I was concerned that my personal info was at risk and was just freaking out. Blind panic and all.
Old 05-20-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

Exactly what my wife did, but she turned the beyotch level up to 11.
Old 05-20-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

Isn't that 5 words?
Old 05-20-13, 08:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Isn't that 5 words?
It's four simple words and one kind of simple word.
Old 05-20-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

or... a letter
Old 05-21-13, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You always think of good things to say after. Upon finding it was a scam I should have asked; " Is it my personal computer or the one at my FBI office?"
Old 05-21-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Damn, I just got my opportunity to fuck with these guys but didn't answer the phone. Did a reverse lookup of the number and it was definitely them.
Old 05-22-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had these guys call a few months ago. They said they were from Windows ( ) and said my computer alerted them to call me.

So while I acted like I was concerned, I searched for the scam online. I asked the guy how the scams were going and he was like (yes, he had the Indian accent) "Scam? What is this scam you are talking about? Please go to your errors computer and tell me if it says there is errors."

I said "Holy shit! Look at all these errors!"

Then I said let me see what this does, screamed, and hung up.
Old 05-23-13, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just remembered hearing a gag from one of those prank phone call shows. A telemarketer called and the homeowner pretended to be a police detective investigating the murder of the homeowner. Then he started asking the telemarketer questions like he was a suspect in the murder; "So exactly what was your relationship with Mr. Smith? Where were you between the hours of 10:00pm and midnight last night?
Old 05-24-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the call about the guy pretending to be a detective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBfsdkGeMc8