Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good GPS with lifetime maps?

Old 05-17-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good GPS with lifetime maps?

Yes, my smartphone has a good map/gps program. However I still find value in a standalone GPS; battery life, satellite connectivity, ease of use, browsing, etc. (My phone map was impossible to use in CA recently, I guess due to cell traffic or towers or whatnot.)

That said, my Garmin Streetpilot is way out of date so I'm looking for a new GPS with free map/POI updates. Ideally under 150$.

Traffic would be nice but not a feature I want to pay a lot for, and I'm not sure if I need Bluetooth. This is only for domestic US use.

(Yes, I know Amazon had a lightning deal yesterday on a GPS - I missed it.)

I have enjoyed my Garmin so I have been looking at them, but I'm not totally sticky. Ease of use, large POI library, good satellite connection, good battery life, maps/POI that actually get updated reasonably often - those are features I'm looking for.

Anyone have any specific suggestions or general tips?

Last edited by tonyc3742; 05-17-13 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-17-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Good GPS with lifetime maps?

I picked up one of these (I do not want to use a smartphone as a GPS either)

GARMIN NUVI 2555LMT 5" GPS LIFETIME MAP

around Jan/Feb timeframe, used it a good bit since then and I have no complaints. This is the 4th or 5th Garmin I have owned over the years (Still have a streetpilot too) and I like this one the best so far.

I got it refurbed for $100, they seem a little more expensive now...
Old 05-17-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are a number of garmin out there. I would suggest getting one with lifetime maps and traffic. The cost isn't much more than the models without. I see models on sale for $100-$150 often. Garmin refurbished usually carry a one year warranty as well
Old 05-20-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a nice Garmin and it keeps telling me to download updates to makes, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.
Old 05-20-13, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
I have a nice Garmin and it keeps telling me to download updates to makes, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.
You have to register your device on Garmin's site. One time updates cost $49, lifetime $89 if you're not already lifetime eligible.
Garmin also will send out reminders once or twice a year in the spring/fall. Can't remember if they offer a real discount or not.

I have a 2009 255W that I've never updated but need to - one of these days.
Old 05-20-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Garmin also now requires you to install their update software on your computer in order to update the software or maps: http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
Old 05-20-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is Garmin the best there is?

I have only had a TOM TOM, and since I don't do a lot of traveling, I have not needed to get a newer model since my phone helps in a pinch.
Old 05-20-13, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Music View Post
Is Garmin the best there is?

I have only had a TOM TOM, and since I don't do a lot of traveling, I have not needed to get a newer model since my phone helps in a pinch.
One thing that I liked better about my dad's old Tom Tom was the simulation feature. It 'drove' a lot faster than my Garmin. On mine, it took forever to drive a route.
Old 05-20-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
You have to register your device on Garmin's site. One time updates cost $49, lifetime $89 if you're not already lifetime eligible.
Garmin also will send out reminders once or twice a year in the spring/fall. Can't remember if they offer a real discount or not.

I have a 2009 255W that I've never updated but need to - one of these days.
I think that you at better off just buying a new gps with lifetime maps if you are looking at paying for the lifetime updates.
Old 12-31-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^bump

The latest map update is 2014.30. I just installed it on my Nuvi 50LM tonight, and the brand new 100+ mile stretch of I-69 in Southern Indiana just showed up for the first time. No longer do I have to watch my GPS freak out while it thinks I'm off-roading through corn fields and lakes when I drive to Evansville.

Only took 'em a year, but I'm really happy to see it!
Old 01-01-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I ended up getting the Nuvi 50LM as a refurb from Walmart.com (best price at the time). Thanks for the heads up on the map update. This update is much bigger, it tells me I either need a mem card or to pick regions. Looks like I can only pick on region? I don't have a spare memory card of any size so I had to downgrade to just my region unless/until I buy a mem card.
Old 01-03-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No answer for the OP but don't use Apple maps. I tried to go to the LA Zoo and it took us to a road going the opposite way about 4 miles from the Zoo and said "You have reached your destination"