Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Oh, for the love of...NEW problem with YouTube

Old 05-15-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, for the love of...NEW problem with YouTube

I wanted to comment on a video. YouTube linked me in with my parents Google Plus account, which I did not know existed, and now my username has changed. I do not want my username to change. If that was what I wanted my fucking username to be, that's what I would have made my fucking username! I don't suppose I can change it?
Old 05-16-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Oh, for the love of...NEW problem with YouTube

How can you be logged in under your e-mail account but linked to your parents google plus account? That doesn't make any sense.
Old 05-16-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The whole family has one e-mail account. I have my own e-mail account now, but I haven't switched everything over yet, so YouTube does everything through the central one that I signed up with a long time ago.

EDIT: Apparently, within 14 days, you can change it back. I was very luck. Until YouTube fuck up the next thing, at least.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-16-13 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-16-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Doesn't really sound like YouTube/Google's fault to me there.
Old 05-16-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

There were popups about changing your name. I got them for weeks, months even. Someone clicked the OK to change it. It didn't happen by itself.
Old 05-16-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was definitely not Google/YouTube's fault. Also, shared free e-mail accounts?
Old 05-16-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is Google's fault is the constant pop ups trying to get me to change my username to my Google+ account. If I wanted to use my real name on Youtube I would have set it up that way. You can't even click "No Thanks" or do anything. There is no option to do anything but click to change your name. The only way I can watch Youtube videos is either to be signed out totally, or for each video when the popup comes, to hit back then refresh and go back to the video I want to watch. Since Google wants to sell my YouTube name they need to link it to my real name via Google+. Do not want.
Old 05-16-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
There were popups about changing your name. I got them for weeks, months even. Someone clicked the OK to change it. It didn't happen by itself.
Fine, fine, fine, fine. They kept bringing up the same fucking prompt about something they knew full well I didn't want to fucking do, I must've clicked the wrong thing. I don't get why they don't just take no for an answer.

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Also, shared free e-mail accounts?
The whole family uses one e-mail address. Obviously, I could've gotten my own at any time since it's, you know, totally free and takes five minutes, I've just been lazy and dragged my feet.

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
What is Google's fault is the constant pop ups trying to get me to change my username to my Google+ account. If I wanted to use my real name on Youtube I would have set it up that way.
THANK YOU! This.

You can't even click "No Thanks" or do anything. There is no option to do anything but click to change your name. The only way I can watch Youtube videos is either to be signed out totally, or for each video when the popup comes, to hit back then refresh and go back to the video I want to watch. Since Google wants to sell my YouTube name they need to link it to my real name via Google+. Do not want.
For a while, I actually could click no. This time, it didn't look like I had the option. Luckily, I was able to change it back this time, but I'm hoping it won't be a problem I have to face again in the future. My parents have that account to share some family photos, that's all. I should just delete my damn Google account altogether, they don't use it. The two things are separate. I don't want to link them together, it's bad enough those two getting into bed together fried Google Video and half of the Charlie Rose Show episode I wanted to watch.

EDIT: And NOW they won't let me clear videos out of the history! Hopefully that's just a temporary glitch.
Old 05-16-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, my gmail name got changed to my YT name because of those damn pop-ups. I had to change my 'send mail as' back to my real name. I even contacted google that 'fine you can re-name my account to my real name' and haven't heard from them. No plans to use google+ or post on yt anyway.
Old 05-17-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the good news is, because I was within the 14-day window, I was able to change it back. The bad news is, all of my old posts now bear the new username that I didn't want, and there doesn't appear to be any way to unfuck that. Fuck you Google. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.
Old 05-17-13, 11:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'm more interested in why your whole family shares an email account. Please elaborate.
Old 05-17-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's an e-mail address for the whole family and we all use it, there really isn't much to explain, to be honest.
Old 05-17-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is annoying. Someone probably clicked yes without even thinking about it. I have seen that screen several times, and I rarely use my desktop for YouTube. You can upload from a mobile device and this isn't an issue
Old 05-17-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
Well, the good news is, because I was within the 14-day window, I was able to change it back. The bad news is, all of my old posts now bear the new username that I didn't want, and there doesn't appear to be any way to unfuck that. Fuck you Google. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.
I'm sorry, but you'll just have to get used to "Greedoshotfirst113."
Old 05-17-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's supposed to be hanshotfirst1138. Here and Toonzone, the two forums where I'm most active, wouldn't allow me to use that name for some reason, and it irritates the hell out of me. And I will never, ever, ever change my name to THAT ! YouTube do seem to have corrected things back. I know, I know, let's face it, I overreacted, I have Aspergers, I don't handle change well . Though I still shudder to think what would have happened had I not been able to change it back, that 14-day window is one of the stupidest things I've EVER heard.
Old 05-18-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
It's an e-mail address for the whole family and we all use it, there really isn't much to explain, to be honest.
Let me guess... Mormon?
Old 05-18-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Let me guess... Mormon?
polyamrous situation?

"family" as in Sopranos?

cool Amish like Kai from Banshee?
Old 05-18-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Let me guess... Mormon?
Um, no, Catholic schoolboy, a stereotypical one. When I was a kid at school we used to route everything through it so my parents could help me with stuff. Everyone has his own NOW, but a whole bunch of stuff I've signed up for like forums and such are still routed through there. I can change them all over, I've just been lazy about it. By the whole family, I mean my mother and father and brother and I, not the whole extended family, just everyone in the house!

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-18-13 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Makes sense, and I actually think it's a good idea.
Old 11-10-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What used to be mildly irritating has now become REALLY annoying. I DO NOT WANT TO LINK MY YOUTUBE PAGE WITH MY GOOGLE PLUS PAGE! Every damn time I even try to comment, the damn thing makes me link the two pages and then I have to unlink them. It's beyond frustrating at this point.
Old 11-10-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I hate the new setup, but they're basically centralizing their profiles so I guess it makes sense.
Old 11-10-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as you unlink it within 14 days, you can do it, but I basically have to unlink it every time I post a comment, it's annoying as hell.
Old 11-10-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a YouTube account before Google merged it with my gmail email. Now every time I log in, it asks me to choose which account to use, my old username, or my gmail address. Has anyone else run into this and know how to just set it to use just one of them all the time?

Sorry, hadn't read above and saw everyone else having the same issue it sounds like.
Old 11-10-13, 03:59 PM

Ok, we'll ask again later.
Old 11-10-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My update is that I figured out how to fix my Gmail name by editing my name again and deleting youtube/google plus from the products settings. I just don't have a YT account anymore and haven't gotten any G+ invites since.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.