Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Ipod 160 GB - Classic... and general qustions. School me!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-08-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok so Im a park ranger and do alot of traveling, hiking, camping, etc. Im a HUGE music nut. I have a 16GB ipod and a shuffle and both are filled to the gills! I currently still carry a CD walkman with me and about 60 CDRs of stuff not on my ipods. Even though I have a ipod dock for my car, still need CDRs for whats not on my pod, sooo Its still not enough. Im thinking of doing the big investment and getting one of these bad boys. My friend thinks im nuts and theres no way ill never need all that space. Thats where the questions come in.

I read its an external hard drive as opposed to flash drive like other pods. does that mean I can put files on there like documents and such?

My friend also noted that pods ohave some protection on em now that I cant put anything put songs purchased on itunes. Thats gotta be BS cuz I put MP3s I got from torrents and friends on my 8 and 16gb pods. Theres no way this new one is blocking that out.

General ipod question. What do I have to do when connecting my ipod to someone elses itunes? Lets say I want them to give me an album or song I dont have, is it possible to just plug my shit into their comp and sync it over or is that not allowed? Example: my buddy got the hobbit soundtrack and I wanted some songs. he said he didnt think it was possible to plug my ipod into his comp witout it wanting to transport all his songs or erasing mine. I didnt try incase he was right and my shit got all erased.

Any help or advice on this subecjt matter would be a big help.
Old 05-08-13, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Ipod 160 GB - Classic... and general qustions. School me!

Look up Rockbox, and install it on that classic Ipod. It will rock your world. Be rid of all the silly "limitations" in the original firmware of your 160 GB Ipod, and enjoy it the way it should be...
Old 05-09-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Rockbox works on the classic; at least that's what the website I just looked at says.

I'm fairly certain that the iPod Classic will play mp3 files (but not flac), but you can't just drag and drop them into the iPod. You'll have to put them in iTunes and then sync your iPod to it.

As far as connecting your iPod to someone else's iTunes, I don't think you can do that. I think that the Apple device has to be registered with your iTunes account. You can have several devices registered to one iTunes account (eg, iPod, iPhone, iPad, PC) but you can't have a device that's registered to more than one iTunes account at a time.

I'm not a huge expert on Apple products, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-09-13, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as the songs that you can play, it is the same as the other iPods, so it is not just purchases from iTunes... that would be silly.

Yes, there is a setting in iTunes for you to treat it as an external hard drive.

If you connect to someone else's iTunes, then it will treat your iPod as theirs and delete all your stuff on the iPod and sync with his iTunes.
Old 05-09-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Music View Post
If you connect to someone else's iTunes, then it will treat your iPod as theirs and delete all your stuff on the iPod and sync with his iTunes.
This is a myth that is simply not true.

As long as you have, "Manually Manage Music & Videos" checked in iTunes, you'll be fine to drag and drop without erasing anything.

I used to do it with my best friend's iTunes all the time, and still do it with both my desktop and laptop.

Ravenous, you can put songs not bought through iTunes on there. There's no protection against that.

Get one, ditch the CD's, and enjoy all of your music!

I may have to replace mine soon it's getting old and it's starting to act funky...battery life isn't what it used to be, sometimes it'll freeze when plugging into my desktop, and if I move it in certain directions during playback, it'll pause the music.
Old 05-09-13, 09:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post

As long as you have, "Manually Manage Music & Videos" checked in iTunes, you'll be fine to drag and drop without erasing anything.

I used to do it with my best friend's iTunes all the time, and still do it with both my desktop and laptop.
Yup. I did this with the various iPods I've owned. That setting is the trick that most people do not seem to know about. I always found it more useful than having the iPod "sync" to my iTunes library, but having to choose which songs/albums get synced. Fuck that... dragging and dropping makes way more sense, and gives you the freedom to connect to others' libraries.

I may have to replace mine soon it's getting old and it's starting to act funky...battery life isn't what it used to be, sometimes it'll freeze when plugging into my desktop, and if I move it in certain directions during playback, it'll pause the music.
Um, that's a feature. It's called iPause. You're holding it wrong.
Old 05-09-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Yup. I did this with the various iPods I've owned. That setting is the trick that most people do not seem to know about. I always found it more useful than having the iPod "sync" to my iTunes library, but having to choose which songs/albums get synced. Fuck that... dragging and dropping makes way more sense, and gives you the freedom to connect to others' libraries.

Um, that's a feature. It's called iPause. You're holding it wrong.

I wish.
Old 05-09-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably is the headphone jack. Doesn't it auto-pause when you unplug the headphones?
Old 05-09-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that happened to me too. Turned out to be the headphones, not the actual jack itself.
I've had my 120GB Classic for years and still love it. I hope they never stop selling the Classics, as I'd replace this one with a newer 160GB if/when it stops working.
I have a 32GB iPhone5 too but don't use it for music as it's just not big enough.
Old 05-09-13, 12:03 PM

It's been a while since I had an iPod but there used to be programs that you could place on your iPod and then launch from a PC that would allow you to copy songs back and forth.
Old 05-09-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it is not a myth since it is true unless you have the setting above checked.

Gotcha!
Old 05-09-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You proably don't need 160gb. You could get the 64gb ipod that is flash memory based.
Old 05-09-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish they had a 500GB or even 1TB iPod
Old 05-09-13, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I thought dragging and dropping and connecting to others libraries wasnt possible. Im reading your statement like what your describing is possible, when I thought it wasnt with itunes.

So than my question is, what the best easiest way, to share itunes songs with friends? Is the only option that they burn it to a cdr and I put it on my itunes? Theres gotta be a quicker better way.
Old 05-09-13, 04:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'll admit that it's been quite some time since I've messed around with it, but all of my iPods were set to "Manually Manage" by me, and I followed a pretty basic process for getting music on there.

So, when you get a brand new iPod and you plug it into your PC for the first time, if you have iTunes already then just go through the regular process of setting it up (give it a name, etc.). If it starts to sync, you can usually stop the process somehow. Somewhere in the iPod's preferences/settings (in iTunes!), there's that option that Tarantino mentioned to "Manually Manage Music & Videos." By default, it's off, but you want to turn it ON. When you do, there will likely be a warning that it will erase whatever's on your iPod... no big deal because at this point, you shouldn't have anything on it anyway.

Once that's done, then copying music from your iTunes library to your iPod should be as simple as finding the music your library, then dragging it to the iPod icon in iTunes. I don't think you can use File Explorer or Windows Explorer to do it... you still have to USE iTunes for this.

Then, when you plug your iPod into another PC with a different iTunes library, the device should show up just like it did on your PC. You should be able to drag songs from that PC to your iPod in the same way. The only thing is that you may not be able to copy music FROM the iPod TO any PC (including yours). There are programs out there that should be able to help you do that if you want, but I think that capability is blocked from iTunes as a means to control piracy. It's dumb... and that limit may be gone... but I remember it being there before...

Like I said, it's been a few years since I've done this, but I can't imagine the process has changed much.

If you've upgrade to iTunes 11, and you don't have the usual sidebar, use Ctrl+S to bring it back. That makes dragging/dropping easier.

Found a super-quick video on setting the "Manually Manage" option:

Last edited by Dan; 05-09-13 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

See this site:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod...-its-happening

I believe Rockbox is in a beta form for Ipod classic...
Old 05-09-13, 09:45 PM

Hey thanks for the vid! Actually, thats what I do now when I use my ipod. I just thought there was a way to do it without itunes or through explorer. Kinda like cutting and pasting a song from one drive to another. I like that process as its quick. I was wondering if there was a method like that.

But youre saying, when I have my itunes on my computer to "manually manage" than when I plug it into ANOTHER computer, it wont automatically sync. Is that right? So I can take my ipod, plug it into my friend Amandas computer. Open her itunes and drag her songs over onto my ipod. Correct? Becasue thats what I want to do, but heard that it would sync her whole library to my ipod and erase what I got on there. With a 160 GB of music, I cant take that chance.

I got the ipod today and am real excited to dive into it. Oddly enough my dad just told me his 8gb nano is frozen in the middle of a song and he cant play it, turn it off, lock it, its frozen. Fuck, now I gotta see how to fix that. grrr...
Old 05-09-13, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
So I can take my ipod, plug it into my friend Amandas computer. Open her itunes and drag her songs over onto my ipod. Correct? Because thats what I want to do...
Old 05-09-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I thought dragging and dropping and connecting to others libraries wasnt possible. Im reading your statement like what your describing is possible, when I thought it wasnt with itunes.

So than my question is, what the best easiest way, to share itunes songs with friends? Is the only option that they burn it to a cdr and I put it on my itunes? Theres gotta be a quicker better way.
Apparently you have me on ignore, as I answered your question pretty clearly
Old 05-09-13, 11:28 PM

I sure do, I never trust best buy employees with tech questions

Nah It was kinda vague so it didnt register with me. I didnt think you were implying I could simply plug my ipod into someone elses itunes and get their songs.

Actually as I think about it, my aunt gave my sister her 8GB and when I plugged it into my itunes it asked if it wanted to synch, I said yes and it erased all the songs my aunt had on the ipod and put my songs on it. Its what we wanted to do so I didnt pay it any mind. But in this case I wanna keep my songs and just take a friends
Old 05-09-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just kind of skimmed over the thread but I have an 80GB iPod classic I keep "just in case". I've always had extra room on there and I fill it up with a lot of stuff. It's more than sufficient; personally I think the 160GB classic is a bit overkill.

You won't be able to share songs though, in the terms of you want your songs then stuff from Amanad's iTunes. It doesn't work that way.
Old 05-10-13, 01:23 AM

Jesus Christ. Ive been trying since I did the above post to get started on this new ipod. I kept getting an itunes error that i couldnt work with the ipod without a newer versions of itunes. But when I try to upgrade it says that theres a problem with the internet connection. So I go to the website and try there. Once I dl it and try to install I get this message: "C:\my downloads\itunessetup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

and after hours of google search, i found a solution. It seems to have worked. Turns out I just had to clear the cookies and temp internet shit. How lucky... now itunes is installing, for 45 mins already. Good god it shouldnt take this long...

Last edited by Ravenous; 05-10-13 at 02:54 AM. Reason: solved
Old 05-10-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
You won't be able to share songs though, in the terms of you want your songs then stuff from Amanad's iTunes. It doesn't work that way.

YES YOU CAN.

As long as you have 'manually manage music & videos' in the iTunes that you're trying to grab music from, you can plug into their computer and use iTunes to get their music. Myself and someone else in this very thread have talked about this.
Old 05-10-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can also get the Sharepod application (http://www.getsharepod.com/) if you want to copy music from any iDevice to a computer. It's one of the easiest ways. Not sure if they have released a better program.
Old 05-10-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

YES YOU CAN.

As long as you have 'manually manage music & videos' in the iTunes that you're trying to grab music from, you can plug into their computer and use iTunes to get their music. Myself and someone else in this very thread have talked about this.

Well, you taught me something new. I don't have you on ignore a lot of people here do, either. My bad. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

I used a different app than SharePod to download songs from my iPod to my computer after my HD crashed. I don't recall the name but I had to pay for a license.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.