Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPhone V vs. Samsung Galaxy S4.

Old 04-18-13, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

iPhone V vs. Samsung Galaxy S4.

Trying to decide. I have a bunch of apps in either OS. Coming from an HTC Evo 3D which I loathe.

Coming from ABYSMAL battery life. I want to be able to use it for GPS apps and music while biking and I go on rides up to 10 hours. Want to use it while I run. Something light enough even if not the lightest out there. The most important thing for me is battery life. I use it for everything, web, text. Not so much video.
Old 04-18-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: iPhone V vs. Samsung Galaxy S4.

If you are using the phone outdoors a lot, I would recommend the iPhone. The s4 screen is fine indoors, but outdoors especially in direct sunlight, it would not be very bright compared to the iPhone

Neither would get you 10 hours screen on time with Gps though. The s4 does have a removable battery, so you can buy multiple batteries if needed. You can also buy a battery pack to charge either device if so desired.

With regard to weight, the iPhone is lighter by a bit but both are substantially lighter than the evo 3d

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 04-18-13 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I have no idea about the S4. I have an S3 with an extended battery I bought for under $20. I am a heavy user and am left with 50% charge at the end of the day. If battery life is the most important thing to you, you should get the S4 and a large extended battery. Of course, my battery makes my phone twice it's normal depth, so you lose out on size and weight for that.

I recently got an ipod shuffle to use for working out because my phone is just too big to use. I really like it. I would recommend getting a used 4th gen nano or a Sansa clip for music and don't use your phone for music while you ride.
Old 04-18-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That entire run of HTC phones had horrendous battery life, it also killed what reputation they had built up with their initial line, and are starting to get back with the One X+ and One.

That said, I still think the S4 is too large to be convenient for athletic uses. 4.7" with on screen buttons is big, 5" with physical buttons is giant. I also don't like the iPhone 5.
Old 04-18-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That entire run of HTC phones had horrendous battery life, it also killed what reputation they had built up with their initial line, and are starting to get back with the One X+ and One.

That said, I still think the S4 is too large to be convenient for athletic uses. 4.7" with on screen buttons is big, 5" with physical buttons is giant. I also don't like the iPhone 5.
If you're on a bike, clip it to your waist or to the bike. It's not like you have to strap it to your arm. Running - use a belt clip.

The biggest battery drain on my S3, obviously, is when the screen is on. So if GPS and music are on for an extended time, but the screen is off, it should be fine. If you plan to leave the screen on using maps, then no. But I imagine that would be no different on any phone you choose.

But I dumped HTC (after the incredible and Thunderbolt) due to horrible battery life. Motorola was good, and my S3 gets me through the day on normal use with 40-50% left, usually.
Old 04-18-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not just HTC, that whole generation of phones didn't get very good battery life. My Rezound which also had the Snapdragon S3 chip, got horrible battery life. My Razr Maxx did get about double the battery life of my Rezound, but it had double the battery size...

My S3 got close to the battery life of my Razr Maxx despite having a much smaller battery. My Note II gets better battery life than my Razr Maxx, despite having a slightly smaller battery, quad core, and a MUCH larger screen with higher resolution.

Not everyone shares your belief that a 5" screen is too large. I am guessing that the S4, and other phones with similar screen sizes will sell well. I Love the 5.5" display on my Note II. I realize it is a niche phone, and not for everyone, but the Note II is selling imo, surprisingly well, for a phone with such a large screen size. There is a demand for it. And samsung is releasing a 6.3" phone soon. Obviously, there are smaller options, it seems like Motorola is the only one keeping to what you want though. Samsung, HTC, and even LG has larger than 4.7" on screen/4.3" buttons. Of course, there's always Apple...

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 04-18-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh I don't disagree. I still have my Maxx, it's the 4G LTE modem that kills the battery. I tend to disable it when I'm not actively surfing the net (3G is ample for streaming music, maps, gps, etc; ) and still have a Smart Action to shut off all cellular data when on Wifi.

That takes it from a 23 hour phone to upwards of 60. The LTE radios have gotten much better in the last year, though I suppose 3G and 4G radios have always had this is common - my Droid Incredible in Airplane mode use to last me damn near a week.
Old 04-18-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want something with a long battery life because there's apps that donate to charity for every mile you bike or run. So I guess the iPhone would be a better fit? Smaller? I feel I got burned by HTC and won't even look at the new one.
Old 04-18-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"We had the chance to measure the brightness of the Galaxy S 4ís display, and the results werenít impressive. The S 4ís 5-inch Super AMOLED screen registered at 258 lux, which is brighter than the S IIIís 213 lux display, but way below the 299 lux category average. By comparison, the HTC One registered 463 lux on our light meter, and the iPhone 5 got 525 lux."

http://m.nbcnews.com/technology/gadg...-s-4-1C8900514
Old 04-18-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I want something with a long battery life because there's apps that donate to charity for every mile you bike or run. So I guess the iPhone would be a better fit? Smaller? I feel I got burned by HTC and won't even look at the new one.
This unfortunately will be HTC's problem moving forward, despite how good the HTC One actually is.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-18-13 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

IPhone is of course smaller, much smaller screen. With regard to battery life though, if you are willing to get an aftermarket large extended battery, it would probably provide better battery life than the iPhone
Old 04-18-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a Razr Maxx if battery life is your main concern.
Old 04-18-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Get a Razr Maxx if battery life is your main concern.
Get the maxx hd. The maxx battery life isn't as good. Although I think the maxx hd isn't available on sprint?
Old 04-18-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Razr line = "Droid" brand = Verizon only
Old 04-18-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My one friend doesn't stop talking about his Note 2 battery life.

My other friend doesn't stop complaining about his Iphone 5 battery life, and I swear I never see that phone with the brightness turned all the way up. He always has the screen dimmed so low I can barely see it indoors. I can see my old phone (Epic4G) better in daylight than his with my screen dimmed.

However I can't speak to which phone would last longer with GPS. Personally, I'm really leaning towards picking up the Note 2 if I can't wait for the Note 3, and if I really don't like the new Nexus phone.
Old 04-18-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope Nexus comes back to Verizon. Or they just hurry the hell up with the Motorola X.
Old 04-18-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Razr line = "Droid" brand = Verizon only
Droid line is Verizon only. Razr hd for example can be bought in unlocked form or on another carrier like Rogers
http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...iled=RAZRHDBLK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AO6OUTC

In the US, I believe that the razr line is Verizon only though
Old 04-18-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suggest picking up the phone you like best and buying a portable battery pack so that you can charge it. My wife and I have each been using a 5000 mAh one from monoprice that was ~$28.00 before shipping. She is able to charge her iPhone 5 an average of 2.5 times before having to charge the battery. My daughter has a 7800mAh RAVPower battery purchased off of Amazon for ~34.00 though they had specials on them last month that she just missed out on. The monoprice units are similar in size to an iPhone 4 in width though not as long. They don't weigh very much and would probably fit pretty easily in a fanny pack or the like while running.
Old 04-19-13, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I'm stuck with Sprint. I don't mind after-market battery packs but the one for the Evo was huge, more than the size of the phone itself, almost. I want something light enough to put on the back of my bike jersey and not have it bringing the whole jersey down. I haven't really used those armbands but I can entertain it, but I couldn't find one big enough for the Evo + battery so would I be able to find an armband for the NewPhone+battery?

And if it's already doing GPS, might as well do the music, one less thing to worry about. But I would really like to use those apps and I've gone up to 8 hours on the bike, so something that would last that long.

Battery life is really my only concern. Because the phone is worthless if it's not on. What good are features if your phone doesn't last? And most current phones, if not all, will have a bunch of bells and whistles anyway. The apps I use the most are Facebook, email, browser, and driving GPS. I do like to take pics on it and the HTC does sub-par ones. 1080 video would be a plus.

And honestly, I keep going back to one thing. I want a phone that will last 8 hours with a GPS biking/running app (and that will be light enough and little enough to stick in a pocket/armband). That's it.

Here are the choices I have available to me through Sprint:
Samsung Galaxy S4
HTC One
iPhone V/64
Samsung Note 2

Is the Note 3 coming to Sprint?

They say the Note 3 will be 6.3 inches, probably too big for my needs.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-19-13 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The 6.3" is the Galaxy Jumbo, and the 5.8" Galaxy Mega.

There aren't many details on the actual Note III yet.
Old 04-19-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I'm stuck with Sprint. I don't mind after-market battery packs but the one for the Evo was huge, more than the size of the phone itself, almost. I want something light enough to put on the back of my bike jersey and not have it bringing the whole jersey down. I haven't really used those armbands but I can entertain it, but I couldn't find one big enough for the Evo + battery so would I be able to find an armband for the NewPhone+battery?

And if it's already doing GPS, might as well do the music, one less thing to worry about. But I would really like to use those apps and I've gone up to 8 hours on the bike, so something that would last that long.

Battery life is really my only concern. Because the phone is worthless if it's not on. What good are features if your phone doesn't last? And most current phones, if not all, will have a bunch of bells and whistles anyway. The apps I use the most are Facebook, email, browser, and driving GPS. I do like to take pics on it and the HTC does sub-par ones. 1080 video would be a plus.

And honestly, I keep going back to one thing. I want a phone that will last 8 hours with a GPS biking/running app (and that will be light enough and little enough to stick in a pocket/armband). That's it.

Samsung Galaxy S4
HTC One
iPhone V/64
Samsung Note 2

I can run a test on my note two and run the charity mikes app GPS and music for 8 hours and see where I am when I am done.

I keep a spare battery with me just in case. You could do that but you would have to stop your workout change battery and start the apply back up.
Old 04-19-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also if you ran the phone with data and cell off (only turn it on when needed) I think any of the phones would last.
Old 04-19-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would not recommend the iPhone and One because it does not have a removable battery, and to you, battery life is the most important thing, and it sounds like this app runs with the screen off. I would also not recommend the Note II since it is substantially larger than the S4 and a bit heavier as well. IMO, the S4 is the best option, it has a larger battery than the One, and it will have extended battery options. Now, you can try just the S4 with the stock battery. If it works, then you are good. If not, you can get an extended battery, maybe slightly larger. You can approximate the usage and calculate how much larger of a battery you need.

Also, you may be better posting on a cycling forum. They will be more familiar with the apps that you use, and how long phones last on GPS.

Is GPS absolutely required for the app? Reason I ask is some apps can use rough location as determined by cell tower data. It isn't as good as GPS of course, but will use less battery.

Also, I don't know where you are biking, but signal strength will come into play. If you are in a weak signal area the entire time, that will drain the batteries faster.

Yeah I'm stuck with Sprint. I don't mind aft7er-market battery packs but the one for the Evo was huge, more than the size of the phone itself, almost. I want something light enough to put on the back of my bike jersey and not have it bringing the whole jersey down. I haven't really used those armbands but I can entertain it, but I couldn't find one big enough for the Evo + battery so would I be able to find an armband for the NewPhone+battery?

Samsung Galaxy S4
HTC One
iPhone V/64
Samsung Note 2

Old 04-19-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
I can run a test on my note two and run the charity mikes app GPS and music for 8 hours and see where I am when I am done.

I keep a spare battery with me just in case. You could do that but you would have to stop your workout change battery and start the apply back up.
That would be really awesome!!! Thanks!!
Old 04-19-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember the iPhone has plenty of "battery housings" that will let you run for plenty of time off them. It's not like you can't get additional power for a iPhone.

This would more than double the capacity...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...utm_medium=CSE

And edited to add, this is a better solution than a spare battery. No need to change or lose data while switching a battery.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.