Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Quick iPhone question.

Old 04-16-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quick iPhone question.

As my job did not make me miserable enough, new management has decided to start giving breaks ridiculously early. I can't do anything about it, but I'm a chronic clock watcher, and if I have to check for 2.5+ hours at the end of each day, it drives me crazy. What I've been doing lately is using my iPod classic and letting a movie run in my pocket, but that's a bit annoying, especially since I have to have it in my pocket with the phone (running it on the iPhone itself would probably dry the battery pretty quickly). I've tried setting a reminder 15 minutes before I go home, but it'd hard to feel that thing buzz in your pocket sometimes. Is there any way to get it to vibrate repeatedly at a certain time so I won't miss it?
Old 04-16-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Quick iPhone question.

I'm so confused at what your actual predicament is and what you need to actually check.

That said, can't you just set an alarm on your iPhone for whatever the heck you need?
Old 04-16-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get a Pebble smart watch. It connects via blue tooth to the ipod/iphone. Alerts cause the watch to vibrate.
Old 04-16-13, 01:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. Just set an alarm for 2:00, 2:01, 2:02, 2:03, etc. and don't mute it (if they're forcing scheduled breaks on you, you should be able to have an audible alarm telling you when to take your break).
Old 04-16-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm so confused at what your actual predicament is and what you need to actually check.

That said, can't you just set an alarm on your iPhone for whatever the heck you need?
When I set the alarm, it rings. The phone has to be on vibrate. When I use "reminders," it only vibrates once and I sometimes don't feel it. I need it to vibrate repeatedly like I'm getting a call.

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Yeah. Just set an alarm for 2:00, 2:01, 2:02, 2:03, etc. and don't mute it (if they're forcing scheduled breaks on you, you should be able to have an audible alarm telling you when to take your break).
I work 8.5 hours. They are supposed to be every two hours (management and I have a slight difference of opinion on the last one, I think it should be two hours before I go home rather than 2.5). New management, however, has decided it's a good idea to give us everything 15 minutes early. And the person who coordinates service decides to give it to us 15 minutes before that, sometimes resulting in it being a half hour early. This means that lately, my last break has been pretty much constantly been three hours before I go home. I can't use an alarm, it needs to vibrate.
Old 04-16-13, 11:24 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am still not sure why you need it, but if you are looking for an alarm that vibrates instead of rings when the time comes, use this free app (set snooze to "off", so it will keep vibrating until you turn it off).
Old 04-17-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you set something up in your Calendar, when the time comes you can have it so the ringer is off, but vibrate will be on. There are also a number of different vibrate settings you can pick from. You can have it repeat everyday and just go in and edit the times when needed.
Old 06-02-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
I am still not sure why you need it, but if you are looking for an alarm that vibrates instead of rings when the time comes, use this free app (set snooze to "off", so it will keep vibrating until you turn it off).
Thank you. This works well, and it even has a setting that allows me to switch off the vibrating with one of the volume keys, so I don't need to take it out of my pocket and play with it. It doesn't make the time go any faster though, or even seem that way, and it's difficult to resist glancing at the clock.