Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Verizon ends upgrade at 20 months, cans NE2 discount

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-13-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As the wireless business has evolved, Verizon Wireless has continued to expand its device portfolio, providing customers with more options than ever before. It is not uncommon for customers to have multiple devices such as a smartphone, tablet and Jetpack. In that context, Verizon Wireless is making the following changes to its upgrade practices:
In alignment with the terms of the contract, customers on a two-year agreement will be eligible for an upgrade at 24 months vs. today's early upgrade eligibility at 20 months. This change aligns the upgrade date with the contract end date and is consistent with how the majority of customers purchase new phones today. The first customers impacted by this change are customers whose contracts expire in January 2014. As always, customers may purchase a new phone at the full retail price at any time.

Customers also have the option of purchasing a phone at full price at any point before their contract expires and beginning April 21, some devices will be available for purchase through the Verizon Wireless Device Payment Plan.
The New Every Two program ended in January of 2011. Verizon Wireless has continued to allow customers to utilize these expired credits. However, as of April 15, these credits will no longer be available.
Customers may continue to share an upgrade with another person on an account if that customer is upgrading to a device within the same equipment category. Customers can utilize a phone upgrade to purchase a new phone; however, the option to transfer upgrades from non-phone devices (such as a Jetpack or tablet) will no longer be available.
http://news.verizonwireless.com/news...statement.html

,-------

At least this doesn't affect plans, and you can still transfer upgrades, though I realize that transferring upgrades may be difficult for some people and not worth the effort

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 04-13-13 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-13-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Verizon ends upgrade at 20 months, cans NE2 discount

I bet you have a loophole.
Old 04-17-13, 07:31 PM
Banned by request

Further proof of Verizon's continual slow erosion of customer perks.
Old 04-17-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

at this point, just get rid of contracts then. fuck you for taking every incentive away for me to be in one.
Old 04-17-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If they initiate a payment plan for a new phone like T-mobile I'm good with this. I can't upgrade or I lose my unlimited data.
Old 04-17-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

i have a dummy line that i used to get my gs3. sounds like you can't swap transfers unless that line has a smartphone. since my dummy line doesn't, it's pretty clear i'll get fucked here. i think i might use my upgrade at the end of the year one one of the lines, before i lose it, just to get a new phone around 18 months. i love my gs3, but if i can get about $150 - $200 in a sale, i'd gladly take that to upgrade to the next new thing.
Old 04-17-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
If they initiate a payment plan for a new phone like T-mobile I'm good with this. I can't upgrade or I lose my unlimited data.
As I stated in the OP, Verizon is implementing a Device Payment plan. But unlike T-Mo, you are paying full retail, you are still paying the same monthly charge, and to add icing on the cake, you pay a $2.50 finance charge, and finance for 12 months.

If you cannot afford to pay for the smartphone now, you might as well go to Best Buy, have them price match Verizon and get the phone, financed for 18 months, no interest.

Another option would be to buy from Best Buy, for example, currently the Note 2 is $200 on a new line of service, then pay $350 etf and one day's service of $5, for $555 total. This compared to $700 + $30 finance charge for $730 total.

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
i have a dummy line that i used to get my gs3. sounds like you can't swap transfers unless that line has a smartphone. since my dummy line doesn't, it's pretty clear i'll get fucked here. i think i might use my upgrade at the end of the year one one of the lines, before i lose it, just to get a new phone around 18 months. i love my gs3, but if i can get about $150 - $200 in a sale, i'd gladly take that to upgrade to the next new thing.
You can still transfer upgrades between the same device type. A smartphone and a dumb phone is still considered the same device type. A phone and a tablet would be considered different device types. This is not really an issue for anyone on unlimited data, as plans allowing unlimited data did not allow hotspots or tablet plans on them. You can of course use a tablet on a phone plan, but you would not get a discount for not having voice on the tablet. Some may be interested in this as it is the only way to get unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE on a Verizon tablet.

In your case, the upgrade for your Thunderbolt should be up, so you can use that upgrade, transfer it to the dummy phone line and use the upgrade, and ACTIVATE the device on the dummy phone line. Then move the device to your line or your wife's line or whatever.
Old 04-18-13, 01:21 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Another option would be to buy from Best Buy, for example, currently the Note 2 is $200 on a new line of service, then pay $350 etf and one day's service of $5, for $555 total. This compared to $700 + $30 finance charge for $730 total.
You could do that, but I'm guessing if you do that too often Verizon may decide they don't want your business anymore.
Old 04-18-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So they're getting rid of all phone subsidies? I get more and more confused with every change they make. Only thing that makes sense to me is to pay full retail, keep my unlimited and stay off contract.

Sucks that T-Mobile isn't an option for me because of coverage and AT&T follows every move Verizon makes so they aren't an option either.
Old 04-18-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Naw, you still get subsidies every 24 months, it used to be 20 months, now you get to wait 4 additional months.

They're just adding the payment plan thingy which is silliness.

I don't like it because I feel like I'm getting less and less for my money with Verizon while they get to proclaim things like:

"Verizon added 677,000 subscribers, made a $1.95 billion profit in Q1 2013 (updated)"

Last edited by RichC2; 04-18-13 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
You could do that, but I'm guessing if you do that too often Verizon may decide they don't want your business anymore.
I haven't heard of Verizon canceling accounts for that. In fact, I rarely even hear about Verizon canceling accounts. People told me, you will get in trouble for your large data usage. Well, I have been using similar usage for 2 years now, not a single complaint for Verizon, no written complaint, no phone call, nothing. I haven't even heard of Verizon taking people off the $9.99 unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE plan, which is, imo, a rediculously good deal.

I have heard of Straight Talk canceling accounts with "unlimited" data when they haven't even hit 3GB. I have heard of Sprint canceling "unlimited" plan when they hit as little as 300mb off network usage...

If you don't want to take that risk, and already have a family line, simply add another line of service to get whatever phone you want, then put a dummy or dumb phone on the line for 24 months. The additional charge is $10 per line plus taxes and fees, which in my case amounts to $4. So $14, or $336 for 2 years plus $30 upgrade fee for $366 plus cost of phone. That's just $16 more than the ETF method. Keep in mind though that taxes and fees vary depending on region.
Old 04-18-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Naw, you still get subsidies every 24 months, it used to be 20 months, now you get to wait 4 additional months.

They're just adding the payment plan thingy which is silliness.

I don't like it because I feel like I'm getting less and less for my money with Verizon while they get to proclaim things like:

"Verizon added 677,000 subscribers, made a $1.95 billion profit in Q1 2013 (updated)"

The plan doesn't make any sense whatsoever. No discounts at all, and you have to pay a finance charge.

"Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam previously mentioned, however, that he would “follow T-Mobile’s lead if customers showed interest in similar contract-free service options.”"

Yeah buddy...sure if you say so.

It seems lately, every or change Verizon implements is worse and worse for the customer. And not even necessarily true. For example, the share everything plan only shares one thing - data. Voice and text aren't shared (they are included individually in each line already). The old family plan shared voice, and optionally texts.
Old 04-18-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh it's just an extra option for those that don't want to wait 24 months for a new phone.

Why would they offer you a discount? You aren't signing a new contract, and you're basically taking out a loan to pay for the phone. If Best Buy price matches and you have good credit, that's probably a better bet.

The best option for most would be to keep your phone for 24 months and get a new one at a subsidized rate.

Share everything is data only because, frankly, that's what's important today. If all you wanted was Text and Talk, you could just go on a pre-paid plan through StraightTalk or PagePlus for $30/month (still uses the Verizon network, just no 4G LTE).
Old 04-18-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then what does this mean?:
The New Every Two program ended in January of 2011. Verizon Wireless has continued to allow customers to utilize these expired credits. However, as of April 15, these credits will no longer be available.
Again, I've never understood these changes. I remember them ending NE2 but it never affected my ability to get a cheaper phone at the end of my contract. What are the credits about?
Old 04-18-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ignore it, New Every Two was a marketing program that had to do with $30/$50 credits toward a new phone.

It actually has very little to do with the Subsidized Phone w/ Contract Extension (which happens every 2 years as well.)
Old 04-18-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ignore it, New Every Two was a marketing program that had to do with $30/$50 credits toward a new phone.

It actually has very little to do with the Subsidized Phone w/ Contract Extension (which happens every 2 years as well.)
Ok, that makes sense.
Old 04-18-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Verizon said that it was following tmo lead... It obviously isn't, since tmo lead has reduced pricing on phones, iirc
$579 vs $650 for iPhone, and no finance charge. Not sure if the plans changed
, i was under the impression that it had some savings?

My issue with the share everything name is that you aren't sharing everything. Maybe they can call it Share One Thing.

Eh it's just an extra option for those that don't want to wait 24 months for a new phone.

Why would they offer you a discount? You aren't signing a new contract, and you're basically taking out a loan to pay for the phone. If Best Buy price matches and you have good credit, that's probably a better bet.

The best option for most would be to keep your phone for 24 months and get a new one at a subsidized rate.

Share everything is data only because, frankly, that's what's important today. If all you wanted was Text and Talk, you could just go on a pre-paid plan through StraightTalk or PagePlus for $30/month (still uses the Verizon network, just no 4G LTE).
Old 04-18-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Max ne2 discount was $100. A few years ago it was reduced to that rate. It was an additional discount over the price Verizon sold, but anyway, it has expired

Old 04-18-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Regardless, it was a terrible name for the promo.