Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can only a few video file formats be shown on a TV?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-13-13, 02:50 PM
Cool New Member

The Sony Bravia LCD LED-tv models I have looked at, don't support many video file formats, according to the specifications. Not even AVI, one of the more common video file formats.

A computor can show any video file format, depending on the software you get.

Is it still possible to watch the AVI file on the TV screen, by connecting the computor into the TV with a USB cable (or HDMI)?

I am reminded here of the large monitor screens that are connected to computors. Surely they must be able to display everything the computor can display? But perhaps a monitor screen and a TV screen don't function in the same way in this regard?
Old 04-13-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Can only a few video file formats be shown on a TV?

What you are looking for is media server software that can stream videos and music from your computer to the device of your choice, like a Sony PS3 or ROKU.

http://lifehacker.com/5975362/five-b...-media-servers
Old 04-13-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
Is it still possible to watch the AVI file on the TV screen, by connecting the computor into the TV with a USB cable (or HDMI)?
Anything that plays on your computer can be displayed on your TV (via HDMI). It's just a matter of setting the right Display options on your computer (and of course setting the right input channel on your tv). And you'll need to tell your computer to output sound via HDMI as well (playback devices on sound control).

Of course, streaming devices are really nice too. I use PS3 for that ... but there are occasional things that don't like to stream so easily.
Old 04-14-13, 04:32 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks PhantomStranger and brainee.

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Anything that plays on your computer can be displayed on your TV (via HDMI). It's just a matter of setting the right Display options on your computer (and of course setting the right input channel on your tv). And you'll need to tell your computer to output sound via HDMI as well (playback devices on sound control).
Ok, so it doesn't matter if the software in the TV itself can't handle a specific file. The TV screen can still show the file, through the computor in the way you describe. Will it work via USB too?

A TV dealer told me only, "Sorry, that's unfortunately the limitation with TVs."

What's the meaning of Sony specifying limitations for video files on their TVs, when the files can still be displayed?

I am not familiar with the PS3 option. I'll look into it.
Old 04-14-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some TVs have USB inputs which you can use play play video files from. In this case the TV is doing the decoding of the video format. But when a external video source is connected they handle the decoding.
Old 04-15-13, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks PhantomStranger and brainee.

Ok, so it doesn't matter if the software in the TV itself can't handle a specific file. The TV screen can still show the file, through the computor in the way you describe. Will it work via USB too?

A TV dealer told me only, "Sorry, that's unfortunately the limitation with TVs."

What's the meaning of Sony specifying limitations for video files on their TVs, when the files can still be displayed?

I am not familiar with the PS3 option. I'll look into it.
Some TVs can directly decode a limited amount of video file formats, but it is usually preferable to let a computer handle the decoding and simply stream it to the TV. That provides a lot more flexibility in handling a variety of formats and content.
Old 04-15-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Video files can come in a number of different formats, including file format, codecs, video properties (frame rate, bitrate, colorspace, etc.). For a TV, you're probably talking a couple dedicated ASICs for decoding video, so you're limited to the video formats that it supports. In order to support all video formats under the sun (like a computer), you'd need enough hardware and software in the TV to essentially make it a general purpose computer, which would drive up the costs of the TV. The primary purpose of the TV is not general computing.
Old 04-17-13, 12:26 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Video files can come in a number of different formats, including file format, codecs, video properties (frame rate, bitrate, colorspace, etc.). For a TV, you're probably talking a couple dedicated ASICs for decoding video, so you're limited to the video formats that it supports. In order to support all video formats under the sun (like a computer), you'd need enough hardware and software in the TV to essentially make it a general purpose computer, which would drive up the costs of the TV. The primary purpose of the TV is not general computing.
If I understand you correctly, . . . If the videofile were simply fed into the TV from another source than the computor, the TV itself would have to process the file.

But when the videofile is played in the computor, with the right software, the process is already complete, and the file can bee seen on the TV screen through the USB or HDMI cable without the TV having to process anything.
Old 04-17-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're going to need an external box (Western Digital TV Live, Popcorn Hour, or Boxee for instance) or PC to play every video format, the built-in TV codecs are very limited.

So yeah, you need something to do the processing since the TV cannot. But the TV can display pretty much anything like a computer monitor, just plug the HDMI cable into the TV from the external box or PC/Laptop and you're good to go.