Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with buying new SSD drive

Old 04-12-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Help with buying new SSD drive

i'm looking to upgrade my C drive to a SSD.
currently, I have 1 physical HD configured to 2 partitions - C,D
My OS is on C and all my data/apps are on D

Looking for a SSD drive with about 160 gigs.
any recommendations?
what should i look for?

how do i upgrade?
use an image drive tool to make an image of my c drive then copy it onto the SSD?
Old 04-12-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Help with buying new SSD drive

I would reinstall your OS on the SSD and just copy everything you need over manually.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3269-6.html
Old 04-12-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would also start fresh, it's nice.

As for SSD - Aim for MLC instead of TLC. TLC will get you more space for your money (256gb for $140-ish) but they have lesser life spans and slower write speeds - You will likely NOT notice a difference in performance for regular use, but just to "have the best", I'd pay the extra $50 for an MLC.
Old 04-12-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How much money do you want to spend?

what's your motherboard?

I upgraded my second desktop last year, got an SSD with 550 mbps write and read speeds. You need SATA3 for that of course.
I got this one under $100: http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd/force-...ard-drive.html

And yeah, start fresh.
Old 04-12-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a Crucial m4 that i've been happy with for a year or so. Samsung 840 and 840 Pro drives seem to be pretty popular these days.
Old 04-16-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my motherboard is asus P7P55D-ELX
The specs shows it has 2 SATA 6 Gb/S connections - is this the same as SATA 3?
it also mentions "up to 500 MB/s - so i guess if i get anything higher than 500 it is a waste of money?

don't really have a budget in mind.
proably < $300 and looking for the best bang for my bucks.

this one any good?
It is $200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1
Old 04-16-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, SATA 6 Gb/s is SATA3

The one in your link looks fine, good reviews there.
Old 04-16-13, 06:25 PM
X
Administrator

I'd get a more up-to-date SSD drive, such as the Samsung 840 Pro or an Intel 520 series.
Old 04-16-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the Samsung 840 PRO (the regular non-pro 840 is not that great)

If you really want something that rocks, get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820249033

I just installed one of these (but the 512GB version) and it is awesome. Should last longer than it is needed, which is always a big plus for me.

I wouldn't get too hung up on benchmarks and specs. Sure Sata III is twice as fast in theory and 'up to 540 MB/s' rating on a drive is impressive, but did you ever stop and ask yourself why the speed rating says "up to"

Using a windows machine, doing most things an average windows user will do, you aren't going to actually notice (seat of the pants) any difference in an SSD connected to a good sata III controller over the same drive connected to a good sata II controller.

Sure you can find benchmarks that will show a REAL 10%-15% gain in speed on certain specific tasks, but that does not apply to the real world use of Microsoft Windows (I am sure some benchmark addicts will be along to argue any minute now)

Buy a reliable drive, not a 'uber fast' drive, connect it to sata II or sata III and enjoy.
Old 04-17-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am very happy with my SanDisk Extreme 480 GB. It was $319.99 when I purchased it back in Oct. 2012, but today it's $361 at Amazon.
Old 04-17-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be sure to install your applications on the SSD. After you get the OS installed, what I would do is delete what used to be the C: partition on the hard drive (after transferring anything you want to keep) and expand the other partition to use the whole hard drive. You can do that in Windows through Disk Management, under Administrative Tools. I'm guessing that means delete D and expand E, but check to see those are the right partitions.

When it comes to games, Steam will now allow you to have folders on more than one drive (one folder per drive). I would install Steam initially to C: and let your favorite games install there if you have enough room.
Old 04-18-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i didn't think i would have enough room on an SSD to install apps.
i was planning to use it just for my OS.
also another reason why i keep my OS separate is because I backup my C drive to an image in case i run into a virus or those annoying fake virus indicators. Even with windows 7, it has happened to me and my backup image save me alot of time fixing it.
Old 04-18-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you should install apps on the SSD, with exception of maybe some games that like to install gigs of maps most non-game apps (like MS office) will fit just fine on your SSD with your OS and will launch with blazing speed.

Make sure to 'clean up' your windows 7 install when it is complete, you can cut it down to about 12 GB or so if you try (I think the install runs around 20GB these days unless you clean it up)

If you have a 256GB SSD, this leaves you a ton of room for apps. Don't ever fill the SSD, always leave some extra empty space or it will slow down.
Old 04-18-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

128 GB is plenty for an OS and basic apps. 256 GB has been plenty for me for Windows 8, applications, and 5 or 6 games. With plenty to spare.
Old 04-19-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just realized i can partition the SSD to 2 drives. one for my OS and one for my apps. so it should be easy to image my OS.

just to confirm - you can partition an SSD like a regular HD right?
Old 04-19-13, 10:58 AM
X
Administrator

Yes, you can. Do you know how to restore a partition to a new drive and be able to boot from it?
Old 04-19-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
i just realized i can partition the SSD to 2 drives. one for my OS and one for my apps. so it should be easy to image my OS.

just to confirm - you can partition an SSD like a regular HD right?
Why bother?

Just keep your OS and apps on the SSD (one partition) and back up / restore the entire thing as needed (it's what I do)
Old 04-19-13, 11:25 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Just keep your OS and apps on the SSD (one partition) and back up / restore the entire thing as needed (it's what I do)
It's what I do as well because I like to do a disk image backup and have the restore to a new drive be fairly simple. But I can understand the desire for a smaller backup image. However apps should be backed up frequently as well since a lot of them store settings and other stuff in their directories.
Old 04-19-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Samsung 840 Pro. I have an 830 that's been in a light duty server 24/7 for over a year now. I just put an 840 Pro in a new machine a few months ago. Its performance has been great and I'm expecting the same solid reliability as I've been getting with the 830.
Old 04-20-13, 10:03 AM
Cool New Member

Still wouldn't consider SSD's to be a mature technology. The arc of storage development always has the manufacturers competing to achieve new capabilities at the expense of long-term reliability.

HDD capabilities have peaked and reliability is more established. Unless you truly need a performance boost from SSD, give it a few more fiscal years to get more established. Otherwise you'll just re-buy when you see your SSD capacity beginning to shrink due to worn out cells.
Old 04-20-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What you say is true, but if someone is willing to make that trade-off, the cost of SSD is at least reached a point where is it reasonable to consider it.
Old 04-20-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we are talking about a component that is already the most common point of hardware failure I don't think SSD's relative immaturity is that big an issue. All HDD's should be expected to fail.
Old 04-20-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, but I will argue that HDDs are orders of magnitude less likely to fail over time than SDDs. How is it that we accept a technology where failures are *built into the design* of the device (the euphemism 'cell interleaving' being used in the case of SSDs)? That's monkey business.

I'd say that the tech is very immature, indeed. That said, there are certain advantages = faster tranfer rates.
Old 04-20-13, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yes, but I will argue that HDDs are orders of magnitude less likely to fail over time than SDDs. How is it that we accept a technology where failures are *built into the design* of the device (the euphemism 'cell interleaving' being used in the case of SSDs)? That's monkey business.

I'd say that the tech is very immature, indeed. That said, there are certain advantages = faster tranfer rates.
Precisely, would you buy a new car with phenomenal acceleration and gas economy but was only good for maybe 75K miles? I see computer storage being a durable good and therefore longevity/reliability is essential.
Old 04-20-13, 08:39 PM
X
Administrator

I have a half dozen or more SSDs and none has given me any problem (I had one that acted weird when I first installed it and replaced it, just as I would a mechanical drive.)

I backup the SSDs just as I would a mechanical drive and I don't think I'll ever go back to a mechanical boot drive. It's great not having to worry about heat or bumping the drive. They're great for notebooks.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.