Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

SLR Lens Talk - Sigma vs. Canon vs. Tamron

Old 04-11-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SLR Lens Talk - Sigma vs. Canon vs. Tamron

My wife is looking into getting another SLR and selling off her old one. She's looking at getting one of the following...

Sigma - 18-250mm
Canon - 18-200mm
Tamron - 18-270mm

She's been doing her homework on the ups and downs of each, but I was wondering if any of you here have had experience with any of them. She's going to be using a 7D or 60D, we haven't decided yet.
Old 04-12-13, 03:42 AM
Banned by request

Re: SLR Lens Talk - Sigma vs. Canon vs. Tamron

I've got a Tamron telescopic lens, used it mainly in the rainforests of Belize, and got some really great shots with it. For the price the Tamrons are a steal, IMO.
Old 04-12-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the 18-270 Tamron for over a year. Sold it off since I went full frame with my new camera, so I had to adjust accordingly. For the most part, the Tamron did well, but I guess it's all in the quality and what your wife is willing to accept on the quality. I found that the Tamron got a bit soft at 18mm, as well as at 270mm, the picture wasn't as pristine as the ranges in the middle. If she's doing research and on the fence, she should go with the Canon 7D. It's one of the best crop sensors out there.

As for the lens, you're covering all your ranges with an 18-270, so she'd be set. If she wants to do a comparison for herself, I would suggest taking the camera into a store and do a quick test on the lenses. Several camera stores do that. And in case she hasn't come across this, this site is great for quick comparisons. Here's a direct comparison of the Canon and Tamron lenses. You can change it to look at the Sigma. Overall, it looks like the Canon lens has the best center, corner, and mid-range clarity.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0

Last edited by E Unit; 04-12-13 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
My wife is looking into getting another SLR and selling off her old one. She's looking at getting one of the following...

Sigma - 18-250mm
Canon - 18-200mm
Tamron - 18-270mm

She's been doing her homework on the ups and downs of each, but I was wondering if any of you here have had experience with any of them. She's going to be using a 7D or 60D, we haven't decided yet.
Have you looked at the 6D?

My wife has been trying for months to decide between the 6D 7D 5DIII or wait until the 7DII. It's a maddening decision.
Old 04-12-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's asking about EF-S mount lenses for a EF-S compatible camera, not full frame.
Old 04-13-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Have you looked at the 6D?

My wife has been trying for months to decide between the 6D 7D 5DIII or wait until the 7DII. It's a maddening decision.
Right tool for the right job...it come's down to what you want to shoot.

I have a 1Dx, 5DIII and a 6D. Now that I have a 6D I hardly ever use my 5DIII anymore as the low-light focus capability of the 6D far surpasses that of the 5DIII. I use the 6D for indoor portraits without flash and for sunrise/sunset landscape/bird photography. Additionally the 6D high ISO beats the 5DIII hands down. I would never use my 6D for fast action or sports, as the focus system does not compare with that of the 7D, 5DIII or 1Dx.

To the OP. The 7D with the sigma 18-200 would be my choice as a walk around setup. The 18-200 is sharper than the 18-250 in my opinion having used both.

Last edited by palebluedot; 04-14-13 at 02:56 PM.