Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with External Blu ray drive.

Old 04-11-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Help with External Blu ray drive.

I'm looking to get an external blu ray Drive/Burner for my toshiba laptop.

The problem I really know nothing about computer parts.

I'm mainly looking to use it for reading my BD's so I can convert them to digital on Vudu.

I really don't know what other features I could benefit from. Is there any brands I should look into? Features?

Help!

Thanks.
Old 04-11-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Help with External Blu ray drive.

This is the one I use. Works pretty well. The only downside is it needs 2 USB ports; one for power and one for the connecting the drive to the computer, unless you get an external power adapter. Also, does not come with a player to watch blu-rays on your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-Player...+blu-ray+drive
Old 04-11-13, 09:16 PM

I've got the Samsung SE-506AB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive There's a newer model for around $90 (Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive).

It worked right out of the box. Didn't have to load software or anything. Just plug it in to the USB port. It's powered through the USB, so you don't need to worry about a power adapter.

I've been using it for the Vudu Disc-to-Digital, and the drive works great. But in my experience, about 50% of discs that are eligible for conversion don't work at home. Vudu's disc identification database is full of holes and incorrect info. You can find more info here:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...O-DIGITAL-Bugs
Old 04-11-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I've got the Samsung SE-506AB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive There's a newer model for around $90 (Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive).

It worked right out of the box. Didn't have to load software or anything. Just plug it in to the USB port. It's powered through the USB, so you don't need to worry about a power adapter.

I've been using it for the Vudu Disc-to-Digital, and the drive works great. But in my experience, about 50% of discs that are eligible for conversion don't work at home. Vudu's disc identification database is full of holes and incorrect info. You can find more info here:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...O-DIGITAL-Bugs
Thanks and yes I know. I have converted about 15 DVD's and just so you know I tried converting Fight Club DVD the Special Edition one that looks like a gift wrapped box and it didn't recognize the disc. So for shits and giggles I inserted Disc 2 Supplents and presto it worked!!!!!!
Old 04-17-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick question if I have a regular BD player that has USB ports would that communicate with my laptop if I run a usb cable between the 2?
Old 04-17-13, 10:09 PM
X
Administrator

Probably not.
Old 04-17-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
Probably not.
Thanks X I was hoping it would be able to identify the disc so I could use it for the Vudu disc to digital program.
Old 04-17-13, 10:43 PM
X
Administrator

Of course you should check it out, but the USB port of players is generally for adding some media for the player to display, not for communication about a disc in the player.
Old 04-17-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
Of course you should check it out, but the USB port of players is generally for adding some media for the player to display, not for communication about a disc in the player.
Ahh gotcha. I gotta look for a usb in the morning and try if for kicks. Thanks again for the info.