Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Should I switch from DSL to cable?

Old 04-10-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should I switch from DSL to cable?

Okay, in a nutshell I've had Verizon DSL for many years. It was always okay--I never really did much online that would require a lot of speed.

Last summer I got a Roku streaming device, and to be safe I decided to upgrade my DSL from 1-3 mbps to 3-8 (I generally find that I need download speeds at least in the 2.5-3 range to get my Roku stuff in HD). Well I had all kinds of problems, and Verizon finally concluded that they couldn't offer me 5-8 speed, so they brought me down to 1-3, but made sure it was steady. That solved my problems for a while, as I was steadily getting about 2.8. Recently, it seems my internet speeds fluctuate wildly, it goes out a lot, and it seems to be worse at prime time---really messed up my streaming.

I really don't want to go through the hours of rigamarole again to talk to "Steve" in Mumbai, unplug and test everything and post modem stats and all that, when I'm fairly sure the problem is on their end with regards to their aging DSL system (no FIOS in my area).

So, I'm thinking of going to Comcast cable, specifically thier 1-3 mbps package. If it STAYS over 2.5, that will be all I need. Can I count on Comcast for this, or should I spend the hours to try and get the DSL straightened out? Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-10-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Should I switch from DSL to cable?

I don't know about comcast but I have cablevision and have no problem streaming.
Old 04-10-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you in a contract with Verizon DSL?

Comcast has no contract?

Speed drops - have you tried just plugging in one thing to test the connection? Have they sent anyone to the house to test/fix things? You might want to try this first esp. if you are in a contract.
Old 04-10-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not in a contract with Verizon, and I don't think I would be with Comcast---the internet price is just a set price. Money wise, I think I'd be paying about the same with Comcast.

I haven't gone through the whole unplugging stuff and testing---I did all that last summer when I was having the same issue, and it turned out to have nothing to do with anything in my house. I suppose I should make some effort at that. It just seems like around here, Verizon is not that concerned with its aging DSL system because they're focusing on their FIOS, and I'm getting tired of it.
Old 04-13-13, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Comcast has a 30-day money back guarantee:

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Cus...CRedirect=true

Try it out. If you don't like it, just cancel the service before 30-days and get all your money back. If you do like it, cancel your Verizon service.
Old 04-13-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Comcast has contracts but you aren't required to get into them, and if they offer you a price for 24 months you can still cancel at any time.

Comcast is awesome on a download level (I get about 26mbps download), they do a little throttling on YouTube but generally it isn't bad - and definitely nothing like TWC.

That said, I own a Roku 3, and on Comcast everything streams perfectly (Netflix, Hulu, Vevo, Vimeo, VideoBuzz, etc; )
Old 04-13-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Comcast has bandwidth caps though, don't they?
Old 04-13-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's 250gb but it has been suspended indefinitely.
Old 04-13-13, 08:44 PM

If you go with Comcast, check around for special offers and haggle with the customer service people. Don't pay the standard rate. There's always deals that'll save you a lot of money.

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I own a Roku 3, and on Comcast everything streams perfectly (Netflix, Hulu, Vevo, Vimeo, VideoBuzz, etc; )
+1

I've got a Roku, PS3, Xbox, etc. And I don't have any problems with Comcast. All my gaming and streaming videos work perfectly.

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Comcast has bandwidth caps though, don't they?
Here's a thread with info on their bandwidth caps. Basically, they were planning on 300GB/month and additional blocks of 50GB for $10. Currently, the bandwidth cap is suspended.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/6...ap-policy.html
Old 04-14-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to give Comcast cable a try, and see how it goes. Can't be much worse than Verizon dsl at this point.
Old 04-14-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

the answer to this question in the thread title is always yes. had DSL for about a year in the past. wasn't great, so i ditched it. never had many issues with my broadband service.
Old 04-14-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The answer is H*ll Yes!
Old 04-14-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Here's a thread with info on their bandwidth caps. Basically, they were planning on 300GB/month and additional blocks of 50GB for $10. Currently, the bandwidth cap is suspended.
It's 250gb but it has been suspended indefinitely.
I didn't know that. Thanks!
Old 04-15-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had AT&T DSL that ran at 3mbps. Went to Comcast and get about 24mbps now for the same price. Do it.
Old 04-15-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to have AT&T DSL but eventually got fed up with it going down so much and switched to cable. Only ever had my cable go down once, the difference really has been night and day. Fuck DSL.
Old 04-15-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
I used to have AT&T DSL but eventually got fed up with it going down so much and switched to cable. Only ever had my cable go down once, the difference really has been night and day. Fuck DSL.
I had pretty much the opposite experience. Had a cable modem, but between the frequent downtime and the horrible, horrible peak usage slowdowns I left for DSL. I consistently get 40 mbps now, with extremely rare downtime.
Old 04-15-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that 40mbps DSL tier still over $100 a month these days? I remember looking at that a couple years ago with big wide eyes, thankfully Comcast doubled our bandwidth for free a few months later.

Cable is very dependent on how good your cable company is in your area, also older houses with old cable may have some fixable issues with stability. I haven't had any issues myself.
Old 04-15-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is that 40mbps DSL tier still over $100 a month these days? I remember looking at that a couple years ago with big wide eyes, thankfully Comcast doubled our bandwidth for free a few months later.
Not sure about where you live, but here in Boise 40mbps down / 5mbps up costs me $55, locked in for 5 years.
Old 04-15-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been trying to make the same choice. I've got AT&T DSL getting about 5Mbps down. I've also got them for my home phone and spend about $115 for both of those a month. I've got Comcast for my cable TV and could probably save a lot by switching to Comcast for Internet and home phone. Does anyone use Comcast for their home phone line? How does it work? Is it easy to switch your home phone number over? How is it connected - are you still above to use your existing wiring to use a phone plugged in anywhere in the house? Also, do home alarm systems work over their phone lines?
Old 04-16-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know about the alarm question, but I switched from AT&T to Comcast for phone and internet and didn't have to do a thing. Same number, same outlets, same everything.