Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I want a tablet for my 2 year old...help

Old 04-10-13, 11:50 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I want a tablet for my 2 year old...help

i am interested in getting a tablet for my 2 year old. He is really good at some of the toddler apps on my android phone.

Should I get an Ipad or Android tablet?

Doesn't Apple have the higher quality apps?

Does Apple have alot of free apps? I am used to having alot of free available on the android phone

How is the Ipad mini? Is it the same as the regular Ipad, just smaller screen.

We also plan to buy a mount for the headrest in the car so he can watch movies on trips. Can I put my own movies on the iPad easily (just cut and paste)? Or can you just watch movies you download on the iPad?

If we go the Ipad route, we will probably get one of the certified refurbs on the Apple store.

sorry for the bombardment of questions
Old 04-10-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I want a tablet for my 2 year old...help

Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a tablet for a 2 year old. Get him a LeapPad or something.
Old 04-10-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj View Post
Should I get an Ipad or Android tablet?
Neither for a 2-year-old. Get something age appropriate, like a LeapPad.

Doesn't Apple have the higher quality apps?
No, they just have more. Almost all decent apps are available on either platform.

How is the Ipad mini? Is it the same as the regular Ipad, just smaller screen.
Easily answered by going to Apple.com and comparing the two.

Can I put my own movies on the iPad easily (just cut and paste)? Or can you just watch movies you download on the iPad?
I don't know what you mean by "my own movies," but if the video file is compatible with what an iPad will play, you import it to the iTunes library on your computer, then drag it onto the iPad.

But again, buying a grown-up tablet for a 2-year-old is ridiculous.
Old 04-10-13, 02:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Buy your kid the iPad. It's a bit pricey, but an investment in your child's self-esteem. You won't have to worry about the other 2-year-olds at day care judging your child's taste in technology.
Old 04-10-13, 02:16 PM

My 4 year old daughter has had a leappad for 2 years and she loves it. I hate the damn thing as the cartridges are $20-$25 a piece. An ipad might be cheaper in the long run if you can make sure the 2 year old doesn't break it...
Old 04-10-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you really want a full featured tablet for him though, you might look at a Nabi. I don't know much about it, but it's apparantly a full featured android tablet for kids, and comes in a big rubber shell so they won't break it. I see commericals for it all the time when my kids are watching TV, they keep asking me for one.
Old 04-10-13, 04:49 PM

Yes, give him a tablet of Ritalin or Thorazine to calm him down a bit... Tell him he doesn't "need" a fancy computer.
Old 04-10-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-10-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
If you really want a full featured tablet for him though, you might look at a Nabi. I don't know much about it, but it's apparantly a full featured android tablet for kids, and comes in a big rubber shell so they won't break it. I see commericals for it all the time when my kids are watching TV, they keep asking me for one.
My kids have a Nabi and there are things I really like about it and others... not so much. It is basically an Android tablet with Nabi's UI/Ecosystem put on top of it. The good part is that it gives you very good control over which apps are exposed, which sites are allowed by the browser, etc. They also have nice touches like allowing customization per child, tracking chores and earning Nabi coins for app purchases, etc.

However, they are trying to monetize all of this by trapping you into their ecosystem. They have their own "Appstore" that you can get additional apps using Nabi coins, which you purchase thru them. In Parent mode, Google Play is not available, so installing the Amazon appstore is pretty much the only choice.
Old 04-10-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd get the ipad but try to find an older model like an ipad2. It has the camera and if it breaks you won't be out as much. My ipad 2 handles all the new apps just fine. Then get one of those kid-tough cases for it. Those leapads are nice but the games cost to much.
Old 04-10-13, 07:38 PM

Kindle Fire has child-lock features, while none of the Apple devices will do that.
Old 04-10-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have seen the kindle fire for $70 refurb before, first gen, but fine for a 2yo.
Old 04-10-13, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
My kids have a Nabi and there are things I really like about it and others... not so much. It is basically an Android tablet with Nabi's UI/Ecosystem put on top of it. The good part is that it gives you very good control over which apps are exposed, which sites are allowed by the browser, etc. They also have nice touches like allowing customization per child, tracking chores and earning Nabi coins for app purchases, etc.

However, they are trying to monetize all of this by trapping you into their ecosystem. They have their own "Appstore" that you can get additional apps using Nabi coins, which you purchase thru them. In Parent mode, Google Play is not available, so installing the Amazon appstore is pretty much the only choice.
My kids have a Nabi -- they love it, and so do I, as it lets me control what apps they can use, and whether they can get to the internet. As far as getting Google Play apps on the device (outside of Amazon Appstore) -- it can be done. Download AirDroid -- it lets you send apps from another Android device on your network TO the nabi (which you then enable for use in Kids Mode). There's a tutorial on how to do that at http://bit.ly/Za7aC4 ...
Old 04-11-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Kindle Fire has child-lock features, while none of the Apple devices will do that.
i think i replied to the OP's post in the iphone apps thread over in the video game forums.

Kindles (even the cheapest ones) are great for kids because of the system level child lock features (called Freetime). You can get non-HD kindle for just north of 100 bucks so they're good for the price as well.
Old 04-11-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Darq View Post
My kids have a Nabi -- they love it, and so do I, as it lets me control what apps they can use, and whether they can get to the internet. As far as getting Google Play apps on the device (outside of Amazon Appstore) -- it can be done. Download AirDroid -- it lets you send apps from another Android device on your network TO the nabi (which you then enable for use in Kids Mode). There's a tutorial on how to do that at http://bit.ly/Za7aC4 ...
I haven't used AirDroid before, so I'll check that out. However, I do sideload applications onto the Nabi by copying the apps from my Android phone to my computer, and then onto the Nabi. Just very cumbersome. Also, some apps can't be sideloaded.
Old 04-11-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some time this past summer my brother asked me the same thing. What tablet he should get for his gf's 4-5 year old grandson. He asked about the ipad. I told him that I thought the cost for just the 16GB one was to much. And if he wanted either the 32 or 64gb models he was going to pay through the okole. So i told him I recommended the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. At the time was going for about $210. I told him maybe he should go to our local BB and check out all the tablets there and also get some info from the sale person. I thought for sure they would stir him & gf to the ipads. But the sales person stirred them to the NABI 2. He called me from BB and asked me what I thought. I said I never heard about this tablet. This is coming from a person who only had a HP Touchpad. And I only got that because of HP blowing these out. I told him to come home and we can do some research. I read more about it. The Nabi 1 had lots of problems. But from reviews I read about the Nabi 2 they made a number of improvements. I was made perfect for some his gf's grandson age. But what sold me was you could upgrade the memory because of the microSD card slot. So I told him that was the one. But if he should wait and see if the price ($179) would come down maybe by BF. And it did to $129. He ended picking up 2 of them & a couple 32GB micro sd cards. The last time I talked to him he said the gf grandson really likes it and it is still working.
Old 04-29-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought an iPod Touch for my son for his 2nd birthday (well a little before it) to deter him from playing with our iPhones and iPad's. He obviously liked it, but he kept putting it under the couch and crying when he couldn't get to it, and scratched the hell out of the back of it. I kept thinking he was going to break it sooner or later.

I decided to return it (thanks to Sam's Club and their return policy) and get him something else. I wasn't sure what until I saw this thread. After debating between the Nabi Jr. and the LeapPad, I decided to go Nabi because of the fact I didn't have to buy cartridges and it had rechargeable batteries.

Now he seems to like it, which is good, and it's too big to be pushed under the couch, so...

Just deciding if I should stick with this or try something else (like the Kindle Fire that someone suggested).

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get your kid some books instead.

No two year old needs a fucking tablet.
Old 04-29-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Thoughts?
Regardless of Sam's Club's liberal return policy, returning an expensive product that your child damaged was a dick move. You should have kept it for yourself or sold it to somebody who wanted a good deal on a scratched iPod.
Old 04-29-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post

You don't think all the educational apps available would benefit a 2yo?
Old 04-29-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have a Nabi for our 2 year old also. It's great. It's actually a very powerful tablet and not some slow piece of crap.
Old 04-29-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand where the OP is coming from because kids LOVE these tablets once they see them, and they can be quite creative on them, and learn from them.

I think it depends on what's most important for you. If you want a tablet for streaming content from somethnig like Amazon Prime and for the parental controls, I'd go for a Kindle Fire. That said, I don't think a 2-year-old needs a media device, so I'd just not get one if that is your goal.

If you want a tablet to use as a supplement to education and art, the iPad is a better way to go. You can find a LOT of great, kid-friendly art apps and educational games and apps that have been around longer (ie all the "kinks" are worked out). Just get them a kid-friendly case--one that is made of thick rubber for the times it WILL drop.

As the other posters have stated though, you may just want to go for a LeapPad or Nabi Jr. These are MADE for kids, and you can even call it their iPad. They'll think it's super-cool and it's safer all-around.

Given the age of your child, I'd go for a Nabi Jr right now. It's $100 and is the kind of thing that your child will learn from and enjoy without being an investment.

If you must go with an iPad, get a used iPad 1 from Cowboom (about $200-$300). Turn off in-app purchases, etc.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-30-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post

He likes books, he just turns the pages. Sometimes he can tear them up, though.

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Regardless of Sam's Club's liberal return policy, returning an expensive product that your child damaged was a dick move. You should have kept it for yourself or sold it to somebody who wanted a good deal on a scratched iPod.
Okay, maybe I should clarify. It had a lot of scratches, but worked fine. No scratches on the glass or anything. They weren't deep ones either, you probably could have fixed them easily. They looked at the back and didn't say anything. I was honest and told them we just didn't want it anymore.

So not a dick move IMO.

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
I understand where the OP is coming from because kids LOVE these tablets once they see them, and they can be quite creative on them, and learn from them.

I think it depends on what's most important for you. If you want a tablet for streaming content from somethnig like Amazon Prime and for the parental controls, I'd go for a Kindle Fire. That said, I don't think a 2-year-old needs a media device, so I'd just not get one if that is your goal.

If you want a tablet to use as a supplement to education and art, the iPad is a better way to go. You can find a LOT of great, kid-friendly art apps and educational games and apps that have been around longer (ie all the "kinks" are worked out). Just get them a kid-friendly case--one that is made of thick rubber for the times it WILL drop.

As the other posters have stated though, you may just want to go for a LeapPad or Nabi Jr. These are MADE for kids, and you can even call it their iPad. They'll think it's super-cool and it's safer all-around.

Given the age of your child, I'd go for a Nabi Jr right now. It's $100 and is the kind of thing that your child will learn from and enjoy without being an investment.

If you must go with an iPad, get a used iPad 1 from Cowboom (about $200-$300). Turn off in-app purchases, etc.

Hope this helps!
Yeah, the iPod was cool, too, he just kept going into the non game apps like calculator or maps, etc. With this Nabi Jr, at least it's all kids stuff.
Old 04-30-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
You don't think all the educational apps available would benefit a 2yo?
I don't think hooking a 2 year old on technology instead of self driven creativity and imagination is the best idea, but do what you want to.

I know that when I have a kid, I'm not going to stick them in front of a tablet.
Old 04-30-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amen to Tarantino!!! One of my best friends would not allow a TV in the house when his kids were growing up, the only time his kids saw a TV was at friends houses. He had a monitor and a VHS player (the latest technology at the time) to watch rental movies on. Now his kids are in their 20's and those kids are the smartest, the cleverest and the most imaginative young adults I have ever seen in a modern young adult.

I think it's disgusting to see "babies" and "toddlers" even up to pre-teens playing with their machines on the trains, in the restaurants, etc. They'll grow up having absolutely no imagination of their own at all.

But, do what you need to do!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.