Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cable Modem issues

Old 04-02-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cable Modem issues

My Cable modem has been having issues ever since we added Comcast phone service.

It seems like my upstream power level is around 57-58 then it loses service for a short time then reconnects.

I finally looked and thought the splitter cabling situation looked strange. I had originally had a cable running out of the wall attached to a 2 way splitter. One went to my Cable modem and one to my Tivo.

When he added the phone I asked him to leave my cable modem alone if possible.

Instead he used a terminator on the 2 way splitter and had a single line going out of it to a larger splitter that had one terminator on it and one line going out to the cable modem. One to the Tv and one to the Phone modem.

So today I removed the two way splitter and have the line going right to the new splitter.

When I did this the service was out for around an hour. As soon as I did this it came back up although was still at 57 power level.

I am not really sure if what i did helped or if the service just came back up after I made the change since the power level is the same.

Last edited by gcribbs; 04-02-13 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Cable Modem issues

Strange thing happened while I slept.

I looked at my modem and it now shows 3 upstream channels. I have never had more than one before. It also shows power levels of 44-46. So maybe the change did something after all or maybe Comcast is doing some work that is improving things.

Either way I am going to leave the change I made alone since things seem better.
Old 04-03-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your setup sounds different. When I added phone just had to plug phone into the modem. No messing with the cable.
Sounds more like service was going down or modem needed resetting. I haven't had a service loss in a long while but first thing I do is undo cable from modem and then reattach. Usually works. If not, service is out in area.
Old 04-03-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is your splitter rated to 1000 mhz or higher? What cables are you using (rg59 or rg6)? Also, you really shouldn't use a splitter with more splits than you need (although having the terminator on there is good). The cable modem should be on the least amount of splits, so that's good.
Old 04-03-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure about the splitter being rated 1000 mhz or not. it was installed by Comcast when they added the phone system. I can try looking at it to see later.
Old 04-05-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It says 5-1000 mhz on it.
Old 04-06-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Figured it would be. I would hope Comcast wouldn't use old crap, but you never know, lol
Old 04-12-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally gave up. Although my cable modem when it was working is faster the constant outages multiple times a day and caused me to start using the voice modem they have set up.

Although it from time to time will DC me it reconnects right away and so my downtime is much shorter. It seems it has less issues with the problems my comcast connection is having.

So now my connection is mostly stable and does not want to cause me to throw my cable modem at the wall while I lose download rate. My old modem was 68-74 Mbps versus using my voice cable modem of 28-34 Mbps.

I guess comcast won this battle since I have tossed in the towel.