Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Tivo multi-room viewing transfers very slow on new router

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-30-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I replaced a basic Netgear 802.11g router with an Asus RT-N65U dual-band N router. All is good across my network, except the transfers between my Tivos are significantly slower than they were on the Netgear router.

On the old router, a 30-minute HD program would take a little over an hour to transfer. Not great, but I was kind of used to it.

On the RT-N65U, a 30-minute HD program takes more like 6 hours.

Seems like there should be some setting in the router to fix this problem, but a lot of Googling and a bit of trial and error didn't solve it.

Any suggestions on stuff to try?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Tivo multi-room viewing transfers very slow on new router

Try the Tivo forums
Old 03-30-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Try the Tivo forums
Searched there and didn't see much or anything that applied. I feel like this is much more of a router problem than a Tivo problem. Data is data, and we're just talking about ports other than that.
Old 04-01-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Have you tried a large file transfer between two computers on that network? Ideally one located where each TIVO is in your house, just to see if overall file transfers are slow. You said everything else is working fine so you probably already checked this, but just wanted to verify.
Old 04-01-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, PC file tranfers all go very quickly. Much more quickly than they did with the old router.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Have you tried a large file transfer between two computers on that network? Ideally one located where each TIVO is in your house, just to see if overall file transfers are slow. You said everything else is working fine so you probably already checked this, but just wanted to verify.
Old 04-01-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You didn't specify how the Tivo's are connected to the network or what the network topology is like. This is critical troubleshooting information.
Old 04-02-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
You didn't specify how the Tivo's are connected to the network or what the network topology is like. This is critical troubleshooting information.
Good point.

Both Tivos are using the Tivo-branded 802.11 G adapters to connect to the router. That should probably satisfy the network topology question as well, but let me know if you need more details.

I know that using these adapters means relatively slow transfers, but there's no reason it should be significantly slower with the new router compared to my old router.
Old 04-02-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are your wireless settings like on the new router and how do they compare to the old router?

Specifically, compatibilty (b/g, g-only, b/g/n, etc. including spectrum), encryption (WPA2-PSK AES? WPA1-PSK TKIP?), and channels.

Channel used could possibly be the cause. If you're using a different channel than before and it has a lot of interference or congestion on it, that could result in contention and retransmissions which means slower speeds.

Besides trying to troubleshoot and fix the current implementation, there are a couple other potention solutions too. A cheap one would be to hook up your old router as a simple wireless access point to the new router, and have the Tivo's connect to that and go back to their old transfer speeds.

Another possibility is to buy new Tivo Wireless N adapters. This would provide you with a few benefits. First of all, N is obviously faster than G, so it will speed up your transfers. Secondly, the adapters can operate in the 5 GHz band which is usually less congested and has more bandwidth too. All of that would mean substantially faster and more reliable transfers, so it might be worth the money to upgrade.