Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray problem on my laptop. I'd love some feedback.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-26-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7015 with a BD-rom drive.

The blu ray drive is listed as MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ141EL Sata cdrom device

It still plays dvds and cds, but it will not read blu-rays at all despite working perfectly since I bought it late last year. For some reason, it acts like the blu-ray disc does not exist at all, despite playing them normally before. In fact, it was working perfect one night as I watched some features on the discs, and then the next day, it failed to register the discs existence and hasn't worked since.

Also I don't think it is the Corel WinDVDBD program that is failing, since I've installed other blu-ray players including a free trial version of the latest Corel program, and the discs would not play at all, and it acts like the drive is empty.

Does anyone know what the problem may be and how to fix it?
Old 03-26-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Blu-Ray problem on my laptop. I'd love some feedback.

It might be a bad br drive.

My Sony console player did the exact same thing. It would load CDs and DVDs, but it wouldn't recognize blu-ray discs. I would put a blu-ray on the tray, close it, and in a matter of seconds it would show an error.
Old 03-26-13, 12:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I had a drive that stopped recognizing CDs for awhile. Turned out to be bad drivers that were either corrupted by or installed by iTunes. I can't remember how I fixed that one...
Josh-da-man is probably right, though. Try another BD drive if you can. If you have to buy one, just return it after you test it (if you don't want to keep it).
Old 03-26-13, 12:51 AM

Should I just buy an external bd drive to test it out? If so, what's the best one you recommend for a reasonable price?

I'm not sure if it may be a driver problem, though I'd be up to exploring any freeware programs that fix driver problems if you know any to recommend. The laptop claims the drive is updated and working fine, but obviously something is wrong with it.
Old 03-28-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would "uninstall" the drive and then let it reinstall, this should reload the driver. It is very possible the "blu" laser diode is dead and you have a hardware failure. Buying an external drive wouldnt really confirm anything about the internal drive, only that your bluray software is working properly. Another option is to reload your laptop from factory fresh restore discs, that would take out any software and driver concerns and confirm the hardware is indeed bad.
Old 03-28-13, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One other suggestion, get a can of cleaning air and try cleaning the inside of the drive. You might have a blob of dust on the head of the drive.
Old 03-29-13, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I did try uninstalling the drive, and also even did a complete restore of the computer. And both times, the drive wouldn't read any blu-rays at all.

I don't really want an external drive,since that takes up space. So I'm planning to buy a new internal drive, since they're so easy to install as I found out tonight. So that will save me money, since I won't have to hire someone to install it for me.

This one seems good from what I can gather. So I'll probably buy this one since it's decently priced. But I'm open to feedback as well, since I'd hate to buy a dud.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ24...blu+ray+burner
Old 03-29-13, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker View Post
Thanks for the info. I did try uninstalling the drive, and also even did a complete restore of the computer. And both times, the drive wouldn't read any blu-rays at all.

I don't really want an external drive,since that takes up space. So I'm planning to buy a new internal drive, since they're so easy to install as I found out tonight. So that will save me money, since I won't have to hire someone to install it for me.

This one seems good from what I can gather. So I'll probably buy this one since it's decently priced. But I'm open to feedback as well, since I'd hate to buy a dud.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ24...blu+ray+burner
Sounds like a hardware failure. Linked drive looks good, I am a panasonic fan. Good luck!
Old 03-29-13, 07:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Just make sure that drive fits in your laptop. I bought a drive like that as a replacement for my Dell's DVD drive, and the Blu-ray drive was too thick for that particular model. I had no idea that was even an issue until I tried to stuff it in there.
Old 04-06-13, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by cseyer View Post
Sounds like a hardware failure. Linked drive looks good, I am a panasonic fan. Good luck!
Thanks!

Update. The drive arrived today in the mail, and while I had to wait until after work to install it. It fits perfectly fine in my laptop,so that wasn't a problem thankfully. And it does work and read blu-rays, though I'm to tired too watch anything right now.

It was easy to install except for one little piece that is so simple, yet they made it so tough. That was unscrewing this 'lock' on my old drive and placing it on my new drive, so it can be screwed in and held in place once installed. I don't know if it's good to have or would play the same if I didn't bother with that extra screw that locks it in place. But I didn't want to risk it. The screws were impossible to take off(and also the smallest screws I've ever seen being so short and microscopic) and took 90 minutes before I finally got one loose, then the other. Persistence pays off.

I also put the old face place onto the new drive, since otherwise it'd look weird since the new face plate is basic and would look sunken into the computer, while the old face plate has 1/2 inch of extra space that fills out to the edge of the computer and now it looks like it always has.

Also the new drive is a blu-ray burner. So I'll eventually get to toy around with that sometime and hope it works. I'm just confused by BD-R's though, since one brand I saw listed the running time as only lasting 135 minutes on 25GB. Is that true? Or can you get much more HD recording time since it's a larger amount of space compared to a blank dvd that is only 4 GB single layer and only holds 2 hours at regular quality?