Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Old 03-19-13, 01:59 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Well guys Im officially a park ranger and will begin my travels. I left my laptop back home as its beat up and I cant even open it without propping it open or it just dying on me. So I gotta buy a new one.

Now I will never be a tech nerd as alot of guys prolly know by some of my threads, so I need ideas on what to get! I do not play games but I was something that has alot of room (for pics, music, videos, porn, etc), is fast, light, protable, durable, DVD burner, and User friendly. Just the basics. Good sound would be nice. Im looking in the $500 range.

I appreciate the help as Im living in Death Valley and internet is limited (which is why i didnt bother bringing my piece of crap) and am unable to research in depth. So any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ravenous is offline  
Old 03-19-13, 03:09 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,115
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Well guys Im officially a park ranger and will begin my travels. I left my laptop back home as its beat up and I cant even open it without propping it open or it just dying on me. So I gotta buy a new one.

Now I will never be a tech nerd as alot of guys prolly know by some of my threads, so I need ideas on what to get! I do not play games but I was something that has alot of room (for pics, music, videos, porn, etc), is fast, light, protable, durable, DVD burner, and User friendly. Just the basics. Good sound would be nice. Im looking in the $500 range.

I appreciate the help as Im living in Death Valley and internet is limited (which is why i didnt bother bringing my piece of crap) and am unable to research in depth. So any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
We had a thread going,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/6...ew-laptop.html

Do you plan on doing photo or video editing? Is size/weight/battery life an issue?

If the answer is "no" to those, than i3/i5 15.6" laptops are a dime a dozen and should easily fit in your budget. i3 models are in the $350ish range depending on HD size, DVD, etc. You should still be able to get i5 under your $500 but not sure you need it.

I went an ultrabook (as you can see in the thread). But I got mainly for pic editing of RAW photos and wanted as light of weight as possible (which ends up limiting HD size and memory).
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 03-20-13, 07:57 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,915
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Not what you are looking for but I just bought this refurb off cowboom this morning for about $115 shipped.

http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm

This will be the wife's 3rd laptop in 5 years. I bought a $400 compaq 5 years ago that lasted about 3 years, then 2 years ago I bought a $500 asus. The wife destroys the charging ports plus the screen has already been replaced on the asus and now the bezel won't stay on. So if she is only getting 2 years out of a laptop, then $115 is right where I want to be. All she does is facebook/words with friends/farmville.
Jacoby Ellsbury is offline  
Old 03-20-13, 09:05 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

If you don't plan on using the dvd drive often, buy a laptop without it. You will save a bit of weight and space. You can always buy an external dvd drive for the times when you need a dvd drive.

If you are near a plug often, you don't need one with a big battery.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 03-20-13, 09:42 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

D.Pham00 didn't actually post a link to a hot deal for you
4KRG is offline  
Old 03-20-13, 03:42 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Haha, all good.

Ill read thru that thread Sdall and see what I can learn. I will do a bit of photo and maybe start learning vid editing as I start this new career so that would be nice to have. I want a laptop thats gonna last me and have good battery life. I also want DVD player because living in Parks I gotta be able to play a movie or music off that thing away from a plug lol
Ravenous is offline  
Old 03-20-13, 05:17 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Light and portable is probably out the door if you are looking for a dvd drive and long battery life. Do you want a br player too? What size screen?
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 03-20-13, 07:38 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Check out this site

http://dealnews.com/

there is a whole section for laptop deals, ask questions here about them if you want (provide link to the item so we don't have to guess which one) sounds like your needs are basic and any $500 laptop will be more than you need.
4KRG is offline  
Old 03-22-13, 11:34 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

This seems like a good deal for $564. It has a large 9 Cell battery and dvd, and ssd.


ThinkPad T420
Model Highlights
Part number: 4236X31
Condition
New
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5 processor i5-2520M (2.50GHz base; 3.2GHz Max Turbo, 3MB Cache)( )
Operating system
Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Memory
4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory
Display
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlight w/720p HD Camera"
Pointing device
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
Hard Drive
160GB SATA 1.8" Solid State Drive
Optical Drive
DVD Recordable Serial ATA
Battery
9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (Up to 2.8 Hours Run Time)
Network Card
Intel® Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
Bluetooth
Bluetooth
WWAN
Integrated Wireless Wide Area Network upgradable
Finger Print Reader
Fingerprint Reader
Warranty
1 Year Standard Depot Warranty
Form Factor
Laptop - Black


http://m.slickdeals.net/f/5923880-Le...4#post58392818
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 03-29-13, 06:27 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Looks like I missed the deal. Working in Death Valley I barely have access to internet. But I did read thru the other thread and it looks like Im looking for the basics that Vibiana (?) was looking for. For size, something around 15 inches, dont care for br. Just burn and copy cds with alot of HD space and long battery life. Im also thinking since Ill be traveling so much, something with good space so I can put my digital copy movies and stuff on there would be great! I dont know how much room those take though.

So Toshiba is the best brand to get? I didnt see that coming! Also if theres a package deal with word and excel on there, thatd be great.
Ravenous is offline  
Old 04-01-13, 06:31 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

$338 for lenovo i5. Has smaller battery, but imo great price. It has a much larger hard drive than the previous deal too. The screen resolution isn't great by today's standards, but it is larger.

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/5941128-Le...9#post58587212


Model Highlights
Part number: 59RF0024
Condition
Refurbished
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor (2.50GHz, up to 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache, 1333MHz)
Operating system
Windows 8 Standard 64 - English
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Memory
6GB (2GB & 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory
Display
15.6" HD WXGA (1366x768) TFT color, VibrantView, LED Backlight w/720p HD Camera
Pointing device
One-piece touchpad, multi-touch
Hard Drive
500GB, 5400RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
Optical Drive
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer
Battery
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (Up to 6 Hours Run Time)
Network Card
Intel® Centrino Wireless-N 2200 (2x2 BGN)
Bluetooth
Bluetooth
WWAN
No WWAN Supported
Finger Print Reader
No Fingerprint Reader
Warranty
1 Year Standard Depot Warranty
Form Factor
Laptop - GRAPHITE GREY


USE CODE: DOORBUSTERS

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 04-01-13 at 06:38 AM.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 04-01-13, 07:12 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,115
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Clicking through, note that it is refurbished.

Still a good deal for i5, but sort makes more sense being refurbished at that price.

And not knocking refurb, my ultrabook is refurb and you can't tell.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 04-01-13, 11:57 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

True, it is a refurbished, but carries a one year warranty, same as new warranty. I shy away from refurbished because of the shorter warranty on some refurbished. But not the case here . You would be extremely hard pressed to find a laptop of that caliber new for the same price. This is imo quite substantial savings over new

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Clicking through, note that it is refurbished.

Still a good deal for i5, but sort makes more sense being refurbished at that price.

And not knocking refurb, my ultrabook is refurb and you can't tell.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 04-01-13, 03:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,115
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
True, it is a refurbished, but carries a one year warranty, same as new warranty. I shy away from refurbished because of the shorter warranty on some refurbished. But not the case here . You would be extremely hard pressed to find a laptop of that caliber new for the same price. This is imo quite substantial savings over new
Totally agree. I'm actually thinking of getting one for daughter for college as her netbook needs to be replaced. For one she doesn't carry to class so the small size is not needed. Two she finds it difficult to type long papers on due to small size. And finally it is underpowered (single core Atom).

I just wanted to be sure he knew it was a refurb.

Sort of off topic, I use to be a big netbook fan. Sort of still am. Some people thought netbook would die due to tablets (even more portable). But I think the drop in price price of traditional computers is more the death. Netbooks are highly portable and cheap. If you can get significantly more power for same money, I'd put up with the weight/size.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 04-01-13, 09:42 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,190
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

That's the problem. Unless you absolutely must have a small form factor, net books are pretty weak compared to standard form Factor laptops. Those who want portability will get a tablet. For basic uses like surfing the Web or office or email, a tablet is fine. Anything more than basic usage and a net book will really struggle.

I still have one, installed win8 and a cheap ssd and it is ok. There are still things that I need a laptop for, but honestly i use it just a few times a year. For the most part, my new ipad does enough. A lot of times, I find myself using my note 2 for short checking. Heck, I wrote this post using my note 2. I like the swipe typing using my s-pen


Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Totally agree. I'm actually thinking of getting one for daughter for college as her netbook needs to be replaced. For one she doesn't carry to class so the small size is not needed. Two she finds it difficult to type long papers on due to small size. And finally it is underpowered (single core Atom).

I just wanted to be sure he knew it was a refurb.

Sort of off topic, I use to be a big netbook fan. Sort of still am. Some people thought netbook would die due to tablets (even more portable). But I think the drop in price price of traditional computers is more the death. Netbooks are highly portable and cheap. If you can get significantly more power for same money, I'd put up with the weight/size.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 04-02-13, 09:56 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,848
Re: New Laptop time! What should I get?!

I just bought what I consider a new Win8 Netbook...I3, no disc drive, 500gb HD, 4GB memory, 11.6" touch screen for $450. I just needed Office/Web/email.
Chrisedge is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.