Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Google Calendar/Firefox problem

Old 03-10-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google Calendar/Firefox problem

More annoyances with Google Calendar.
I use Firefox 19.0.2 as my web browser.
The vast majority of the time when I go into Google Calendar, if I click on a time slot, instead of popping up the dialog box to create an event, it just 'highlights' the block. If I move the mouse, it just resizes the highlight. I can't do anything.
If I go through Meetup to 'export to calendar', it will act like it's creating the item, but won't let me click save.
I either have to open up Chrome or IE just to manage my calendar, or use my phone to update something.
Occasionally after clearing cache/cookies it will work -once.
I live by my Google Calendar so this is really cumbersome and annoying.
I've run virus scan and reinstalled FF.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks.
Old 03-10-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Google Calendar/Firefox problem

Some Google features don't work well in Firefox. I have a hunch that Google is gearing all of their services strictly for Chrome and if something is broke in Firefox, they aren't in a rush to fix it.
Old 03-10-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lovely. It used to work fine until a couple weeks or maybe 1-2 months ago. I don't keep up with how companies are perceived, is Google still "don't be evil" and MS still "M$"? Reputation is everything, even if that rep isn't accurate.
Old 03-10-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
The vast majority of the time when I go into Google Calendar, if I click on a time slot, instead of popping up the dialog box to create an event, it just 'highlights' the block.
I just tried this on my Firefox 19.0.2, and it works fine.

My suggestion would be to try running Firefox in "safe mode" from the start menu. Sometimes it's an extension that you've added that causes Firefox to act weird on certain sites. Re-enable add-ons one by one until you find the one causing the problem.

Another solution woud be to create a new profile in Firefox. Sometimes a Firefox profile gets corrupted and makes it act weird, and uninstalling Firefox doesn't actually delete profiles, so when it re-installed it Firefox was using the same profile as before. Export your bookmarks then create a new profile using the directions in this link:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a...ile_on_Windows

It's in Google's best interest to have their services working on as many browsers as possible, so they're not going to ignore any web browser with a sizable user-base like Firefox. Sometimes they may add a feature that only their web browser supports at first, like offline Gmail, but for basic functionality they're going to support all browsers.
Old 03-10-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I restarted in safe mode - turns out there's a lot of addons/extensions/whatnot. Some I wouldn't think would cause trouble, others, I'm not sure where they came from. Rather than trying to do one at a time, I actually just reset Firefox and I'll add them as I need. So far the calendar appears to be working.
Thanks!
Old 03-10-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Some Google features don't work well in Firefox. I have a hunch that Google is gearing all of their services strictly for Chrome and if something is broke in Firefox, they aren't in a rush to fix it.
I use Google features on Firefox extensively and haven't noticed any problems. I think your hunch may be off. Google pretty consistently supports their software products on a wide variety of platforms.
Old 03-11-13, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
Lovely. It used to work fine until a couple weeks or maybe 1-2 months ago. I don't keep up with how companies are perceived, is Google still "don't be evil" and MS still "M$"? Reputation is everything, even if that rep isn't accurate.
We are well past that point. Now it's simply about which one of them is less evil, though I think the real clash is between Google and Facebook.