Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Google Glass Thread of Distracted Living

Old 03-01-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Google Glass Thread of Distracted Living

Seems to be picking up some steam in previous weeks (with the recent video (below)) and both Sergey and his wife showing up to Oscar parties sporting the specs. They also announced both iPhones and Android phones would be supported for the data tether needs.

Things would be great for skydiving, get an altimeter on there and be able to record with no added snag points.

They ran a recent contest on Google Plus and Twitter marked "If I had Glass" or something along those lines, JetBlue had a few cool ideas:

Nothing you couldn't do with your phone but nifty no less.
Old 03-01-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Google Glass Thread of Distracted Living

On the one end of the spectrum there is the obvious possibility of distracted living, but on the other end there is the possibility to navigate unfamiliar places with ease, learn more about your environment, and capture images and videos in a way that has never before been accessible to "average consumers".

Hopefully the positives will outweigh the negatives, but only time will tell. What I will say is that my wife, who is generally resistant to new tech gadgets, wants one of these when they hit the market.
Old 03-01-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they're pretty cool but like $1500, right?
Old 03-01-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, I'd be shocked if they were really that smooth and user-friendly. I think we're 5 years or more away from that kind of fidelity.
Old 03-01-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Most likely, Google seems to be more interested in doing something and then putting a price tag on it, rather than thinking of a price and aiming for it. *cough* Chromebook Pixel *cough*
Old 03-01-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In 20 years, people will wonder how they ever lived without something like this product.
Old 03-01-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
They are $1500 now, for the beta program. They won't be that much when they go into full production.

And, over time, they will undoubtedly get cheaper to manufacture, and the price will continue to drop.
Old 03-01-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Also, I'd be shocked if they were really that smooth and user-friendly. I think we're 5 years or more away from that kind of fidelity.
I think you should prepare to be shocked, then. Josh Topolsky at The Verge got to play with one for a day, and he described it this way:
Let me start by saying that using it is actually nearly identical to what the company showed off in its newest demo video. That’s not CGI — it’s what Glass is actually like to use. It’s clean, elegant, and makes relative sense. The screen is not disruptive, you do not feel burdened by it. It is there and then it is gone. It’s not shocking. It’s not jarring. It’s just this new thing in your field of vision. And it’s actually pretty cool.
Old 03-01-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a pretty lengthy, in-depth test-drive of Google Glass:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/40...onthly-updates

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Most likely, Google seems to be more interested in doing something and then putting a price tag on it, rather than thinking of a price and aiming for it. *cough* Chromebook Pixel *cough*
Chromebook Pixel seems to me to be something of a concept or trendsetter device, one they wanted to put out to show that Chrome OS could be used on high-end machines as well, and push manufacturers to release higher-end products with Chrome OS on it.

For Google Glass, it could start niche, at a high price. But then, the iPhone launched at $500. Also, the $1500 price tag is for the prerelease version of the device, the release version will likely cost less.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...-emasculating/

That said, Google does sometimes misjudge things. Google Wave went nowhere, the Google Nexus had some initial hiccups, and the Nexus Q was overpriced for what it did and was dropped mere months after release (I had to do a search to even remember what it was called).
Old 03-01-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Chrome OS runs plenty smooth but the fact it's basically a laptop dedicated to Chrome is too limiting. Applications like the Adobe Master Suite need to be ported. Beautiful screen though.
Old 03-01-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
I think you should prepare to be shocked, then. Josh Topolsky at The Verge got to play with one for a day, and he described it this way:
I guess we'll see - I just can't believe there aren't more hiccups, thinking, etc. The idea of being able to voice-command a picture at the perfect moment seems crazy to me.
Old 03-01-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How many people actually use Bluetooth headsets, not many. Considerably less people will ever use a contraption like this. Total waste of time. Reminds me of all the talk when the Segway came. How it was going to totally change how people move about. How'd that turn out. I think the tech is cool but this is just something that nobody was ever really asking for.
Old 03-01-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, just the direction we need to be taking. In 20 years, technology like this will have turned us all into 'virtual reality' mindless zombies. We won't be able to think for ourselves. Common sense will be a relic of the past. This looks 'cool', yes, but there under the surface is myriad levels of scary stuff.
Old 03-01-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Wow, just the direction we need to be taking. In 20 years, technology like this will have turned us all into 'virtual reality' mindless zombies. We won't be able to think for ourselves. Common sense will be a relic of the past. This looks 'cool', yes, but there under the surface is myriad levels of scary stuff.
Ugh. People probably said similar things about cell phones. Or the printing press. Or fire.

It'll be just fine.
Old 03-01-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I partially agree with Cell Phones, at least Smart Phones, I am a total idiot without the thing.

As for performance hiccups - honestly I believe Google Now (which works very well) was designed with Glass in mind, the clean interface and "card" system it adapted makes me think it will be very fluid on the HUD. Also, Google Now is honestly one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, it's a little creepy (how it detects your home, when you're on a road trip, when you've landed in another place, how it reads your e-mail to get information about your flights, using flightaware to determine if your plane with land early/late.) but it works remarkably well and is surprisingly useful. It knows I always look for cool food places in new cities, I don't even have to search anymore, it's just loaded when I go to Google Now.

By the way, just because something may not take over doesn't mean they shouldn't be making it, Segway never took off but it did launch security scooter rip offs all over the place. Everything has something of an effect, even if it's something of an osbourne effect.
Old 03-01-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
But will we be able to have virtual sex with Kate Beckinsale? If so I am all about being a "mindless zombie"......

Seriously though man I think about how many times I lose or break a pair of sunglasses. This may be way to pricey.....
Old 03-02-13, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
How many people actually use Bluetooth headsets, not many. Considerably less people will ever use a contraption like this. Total waste of time. Reminds me of all the talk when the Segway came. How it was going to totally change how people move about. How'd that turn out. I think the tech is cool but this is just something that nobody was ever really asking for.
That's a poor analogy. The hype about the segway only came from the people promoting it, before anything had been shown to the public. In this case, people are trying it, and (for the most part) hyping it themselves.

Whether it ultimately lives up to the hype is obviously yet to be seen, but dismissing it as a segway-like failure is extremely premature.
Old 03-02-13, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My point is that there's more than the technology at stake here. Google is hoping to shape and mold a future way of life with this thing. Cell phones are useful, but look at the trouble they have brought (people being rude & inconsiderate when using them, feelings of entitlement, total immersion in the under 30 crowd "I'll starve before I give up my cell phone!")

Some of the things about Glass could be very good, some frightening.

Edward R. Murrow said the same thing about TV 60 years ago... and he was right.
Old 03-02-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No thanks.

I have no desire to be "connected" every waking moment of my life.

As it is, smartphones today are a major distraction from basic tasks such as walking and talking. This glass technology will be MUCH more intrusive and it really does seem like overkill.

I've always been of the thinking that technology provides you with tools that aid you in doing things, not something that takes over your life. It's better to use the technology instead if it using you.
Old 03-02-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear what you people are saying, but I still want it. I will be the Terminator. I want my cyborg body.
Old 03-02-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
That's a poor analogy. The hype about the segway only came from the people promoting it, before anything had been shown to the public. In this case, people are trying it, and (for the most part) hyping it themselves.

Whether it ultimately lives up to the hype is obviously yet to be seen, but dismissing it as a segway-like failure is extremely premature.
I forgot that was the name they used for it, always wondered why they didn't go with Pennywise.

Google Glass is something from Sci-fi movies, so I'm actually glad to see it and anxiously await our pre-cog overlords.

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
This glass technology will be MUCH more intrusive and it really does seem like overkill.
I don't know, I've used similar HUDs before, I generally forget they're there until I need to look at something. At least people won't be looking down while walking straight into traffic.
Old 03-02-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I don't know, I've used similar HUDs before, I generally forget they're there until I need to look at something. At least people won't be looking down while walking straight into traffic.
Have you ever seen someone do something while simply talking on the phone? I've seen this MANY times when I'm walking behind someone who just answered their cellphone and all of a sudden their walking becomes more erratic. They walk slower, and they sway from side to side and keep pulling quick stops/starts, etc. This is from people who've walked their whole lives and are simply talking on the phone while still having a full unobstructed view of their surroundings.

Wearing something like Google Glass will be a huge distraction even they aren't trying to look at something presented through it.
Old 03-02-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think it's cool that Google is trying unique things like this, even if they don't pan out. All those visions for the future that you see in movies have to start somewhere. Google's also working on self driving cars too.

I want a flying car or jetpack, damn it.
Old 03-03-13, 01:13 PM
Banned by request

Like any technology, this will have good and bad applications, and people who use it responsibly or irresponsibly. It's not the technology's fault, and it's not inherently good or bad.

I would love to have one, frankly.
Old 03-03-13, 02:16 PM

Just what I always wanted, I was getting sick of taking my mobile phone out of my pocket to do these things, it's just too much hassle. Plus I like being able to look like a tool.. I mean cyborg.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.