Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What's the best way to setup a business wifi

Old 02-27-13, 02:22 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

What's the best way to setup a business wifi

We sometimes have people come in that want to show us something on their computer.
When you have a guest wifi, is it possible to have it automatically turn inactive after work hours? Thing is, with this wifi, someone could get in range after hours and use it. I'd like to prevent that if possible.
Old 02-27-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What's the best way to setup a business wifi

with your hands?

Most routers can be shut off at certain times automatically, I'd recommend finding one that can be flashed to something like DD-WRT or Tomato, or similar, to ensure that but I do believe it's a default feature on many.
Old 02-27-13, 02:43 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

thank you. didnt know what to look for
Old 02-28-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
with your hands?

Most routers can be shut off at certain times automatically, I'd recommend finding one that can be flashed to something like DD-WRT or Tomato, or similar, to ensure that but I do believe it's a default feature on many.
Or if the business doesn't need the router running during off-hours, just get a regular plug-in timer.
Old 02-28-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pull the plug? Is that too difficult? They do, after all, run on electricity! That's what I do.
Old 02-28-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you looking for a home consumer class wireless router that has time restrictions or are you really looking for an entry level business type device? There is a fairly large difference.

Here is about the most entry level small business type device

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Wireless...ref=pd_sim_e_7

for a higher level business class device, expect to spend double or more and spend a ton of time configuring it

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Aironet-...ref=pd_cp_pc_3
Old 03-01-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does the business already have some kind of DHCP server? Like some flavor of Small Business Server?

I had a client who needed a new router RIGHT THEN due to a nearby lightning strike that also took out their switch and cable modem. The best thing I could get for them on such short notice was one of the higher-end Linksys home\office models (I forget the model number - E5000? E4500? - but it was in the $139-ish range).

They'd asked about a guest Wi-Fi setup in the past, so I enabled it. A few days later, the client called because users were getting odd error messages. Come to find out, the Linksys was assigning DHCP addresses to desktop clients, too. The stupid-ass Linksys firmware doesn't have the option to only use DHCP for the guest network. It either does DHCP for both networks or neither of the networks. Which, for a small company that already has some kind of DHCP solution in place, defeats the whole purpose of having a guest Wi-Fi setup. Since there's no "easy" way to have the desktop clients always use the SBS server for DHCP instead of the router, I simply disabled the whole thing.

So... thanks for nothing, Linksys!