Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

New Desktop, Old OS. Problems? you bet!

Old 02-20-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Desktop, Old OS. Problems? you bet!

Okay, lemme toss this out here to see if there's a solution that won't cost me (more) money.

My old desktop died a week ago. No POST beeps, just fans spinnin'. Dead. Was old. Knew this day would come. Just finished building a new one and am installing XP on it. Install fails. A search tells me I need SP2 for the PCI-E video card no other way around it (so the internet says). Card from old PC is incompatible (slots no fit!).

Obvious option is to buy Windows 7. Not gonna do that, and here's why: I use MS Office a lot and my version is 2000, which is incompatible with Win7 and I can't afford to buy Win7 and/or new Office. (already been trying Open Office and Google Docs but not impressed). Also, I use Outlook Express as my main email client, and I need to get that back because all my contacts are there (hard-drive from old PC is fine).

It looks like I could buy SP2, but that's still as expensive as Win7, and I prefer to not buy something I already bought. I could buy Win7 and then not have access to Outlook Express.

Given my imposed limitations, are there options I'm not seeing yet? Ideas? Help? If ya need specs on the new system, I'll add 'em, but I don't see how that really enters into the situation.
Old 02-20-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: New Desktop, Old OS. Problems? you bet!

Get another card that's compatible?
You may be able to get something under $50, maybe even return it after you install SP2.

Or ask a friend to borrow a compatible videocard. Does your motherboard includes video?
Old 02-20-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MB doesn't have video. I am considering getting a card and returning it after, but that feels wrong. But, I may consider it since it would be the option that gets me where I need to be. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-20-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

or you could try to buy XP SP2 edition - not sure if you can still get it or how cheap it would be.

If you still have a working PC, you can make a slipstream install disc where it will install SP2 XP... I did it a few years ago... not really sure of what is needed, but I did use my existing product key.
Old 02-20-13, 08:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

If you can afford to shell out $200, get a Microsoft TechNet subscription. That way, you can install Windows 7 (or, if you're feeling frisky, 8), and the latest version of Office. The subscription is for a year, but the software will be licensed forever. I believe they give you one or two license keys per product, but each key can be used up to 10 times.

I don't think Outlook Express is available anymore (for good reason, sorry) for Windows 7, but you could use the regular Outlook, which is part of the Office installation. Transferring your contacts to Outlook is apparently easy (just do a Google search)

Full compatibility with your hardware? check.
Office? check.

You'll have to make some personal adjustments to the new (different, but genuinely better) Office functionality, but anytime I've run into "how do you do X in Office 2010/2013?" kinds of problems, a Google search gave me the answer I needed.
Old 02-20-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post

Just finished building a new one and am installing XP on it. Install fails. A search tells me I need SP2 for the PCI-E video card no other way around it (so the internet says). Card from old PC is incompatible (slots no fit!).
That states a MIN of SP2, so SP3 would be fine and is what you should use. Since it looks like you own XP, just slipstream SP3 into the install disk and use that to install (your key will work if it is a legal key, SP3 killed some of the more popular hacked keys)

http://winsupersite.com/windows-xp/s...ice-pack-3-sp3

Obvious option is to buy Windows 7.
Yes, for more reasons than you realize. You need to get on 7 or 8 ASAP.

Not gonna do that, and here's why: I use MS Office a lot and my version is 2000, which is incompatible with Win7
This is not definitive, Office 2000 can partially work on Win 7 with some tweaking.

or you can buy the pro version of Win 7 and use XP mode

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05...p_mode_review/

or you can use something like Virtual box to install XP on Windows 7 (assuming your NEW machine has some decent hardware it will be fine)

and I can't afford to buy Win7 and/or new Office.
Do you have a .edu email address or access to anyone with one? BEst deal going is academic license from MS for OS and/or Office products. You just need an .edu address to take advantage.

It looks like I could buy SP2, but that's still as expensive as Win7,
No, you already own XP, upgrades to SP2 and SP3 are FREE for download.

and I prefer to not buy something I already bought. I could buy Win7 and then not have access to Outlook Express.
Some thoughts on OE

http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx

convert OE to Outlook

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...010079919.aspx

Given my imposed limitations, are there options I'm not seeing yet? Ideas? Help? If ya need specs on the new system, I'll add 'em, but I don't see how that really enters into the situation.
The specs on the new machine may help decide if virtual machines will help you.

This option will let you have windows 7 loaded as the host OS (if you buy it) and then have an XP virtual machine running to accommodate your old software. I understand people not liking this option, I use it all the time and love it. Once you virtualize, the VM host software eliminates the XP hardware driver issues.
Old 02-20-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
If you can afford to shell out $200, get a Microsoft TechNet subscription. That way, you can install Windows 7 (or, if you're feeling frisky, 8), and the latest version of Office. The subscription is for a year, but the software will be licensed forever. I believe they give you one or two license keys per product, but each key can be used up to 10 times.

I don't think Outlook Express is available anymore (for good reason, sorry) for Windows 7, but you could use the regular Outlook, which is part of the Office installation. Transferring your contacts to Outlook is apparently easy (just do a Google search)

Full compatibility with your hardware? check.
Office? check.

You'll have to make some personal adjustments to the new (different, but genuinely better) Office functionality, but anytime I've run into "how do you do X in Office 2010/2013?" kinds of problems, a Google search gave me the answer I needed.
I thought that technet changed after sometime last year and you aren't supposed to keep active license after the end of your subscription?

For office, you can get Microsoft hup if you work for aqualified employer for $10.
Old 02-20-13, 10:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
I thought that technet changed after sometime last year and you aren't supposed to keep active license after the end of your subscription?
It's a grey area, for sure, but the licenses provided during your subscription period will remain active. You just can't request new licenses for the same or other software. I can still log into my account and see my old licenses for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Office for Mac, all from when I paid for TechNet, but if I try to get a license for Office 2013 Pro Plus, it tells me I need to pay the yearly fee again.
Old 02-20-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why not virtualize? Windows XP is swiss cheese (it's fun as hell to hack, though I will admit SP3 isn't nearly as bad as SP2 and prior)

Install windows 7, build a virtual system with windows xp and local drive access. Done.

I'd recommend migrating your Outlook Express stuff to Windows Live Mail but that's up to you.
Old 02-20-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't install Win7 or Win8, just download XPSP3.exe from Microsoft, then slipstream it with nlite. You'll need your original XP CD, and key handy to slipstream. Then, create a bootable Flash drive with SP3 on it with WintoFlash. Then, select booting from USB flash drive in your BIOS, reboot, and you'll be good as gold, with a fresh copy of XP SP3 on your new system.

All these options are FREE .and involve minimal hassle. This really is the easiest way to solve your problem, and you'll not be forced into Win7 or Win8.
Old 02-20-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I'm considering these new options based on what I can afford and what I think I can do. I never heard of slipstreaming, and the link from 4KRG kinda confused me (I'm really not too techie with software - more of a hardware guy). But I'm gonna google it and see what I can find since Zyzzle's post makes it sound easy-ish.
Old 02-21-13, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't mention the amount of RAM in your new PC, but if you have 4GB or more, then XP is out, as it can only access less than 4GB of RAM (typically anywhere from 3 to 3.5GB). You should go with 64-bit Windows 7 or 8.

Office 2000 can run on Windows 7. People have reported success running it. It's just not officially supported anymore:
http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?...-in-windows-7/

Another option would be to use an open-source office solution like LibreOffice:
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Last edited by Jay G.; 02-21-13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-21-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

4 GB for xp or 32 bit os is okay, yes, Windows can't use a portion of the ram, but no big deal . Over that though and you should certainly go with a 64 bit
Old 02-21-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

4GB is an edge case, but seeing as RAM use is likely to go up in the future, it'd be better to install 64-bit now and be able to easily upgrade RAM later rather than having to do a clean install of 64-bit Windows later when you get more RAM (you can't do an upgrade install from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit).

Another consideration is that MS is dropping extended support for XP in April 2014, a little over a year away. Assuming this new PC is intended to be used for more than a year, it'd likely be better to just install a newer version of Windows now instead of having to upgrade next year anyway. Windows 7 will have extended support until January 2020.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ycle#section_2
Old 02-21-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But really, what are the specs of your new PC?

Everyone is moving away from XP. You should really plan to upgrade to Win 7 in a short time, really short time.
Old 02-21-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The point is the op already has windows xp, and on a budget. As such, he would be fine with 4gb on xp. Ideally, upgrading to 7 or 8 is the best option, if money were not an issue. Op missed the $40 windows 8 upgrade Window too. Keeping windows xp for another year is more headache to install the new os, but saves money now.

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
4GB is an edge case, but seeing as RAM use is likely to go up in the future, it'd be better to install 64-bit now and be able to easily upgrade RAM later rather than having to do a clean install of 64-bit Windows later when you get more RAM (you can't do an upgrade install from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit).

Another consideration is that MS is dropping extended support for XP in April 2014, a little over a year away. Assuming this new PC is intended to be used for more than a year, it'd likely be better to just install a newer version of Windows now instead of having to upgrade next year anyway. Windows 7 will have extended support until January 2020.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ycle#section_2

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 02-21-13 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-21-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
The point is the op already has windows xp, and on a budget. As such, he would be fine with 4gb on xp.
If he has only 4GB, XP would probably be fine, for now. If he has more RAM, then he'll be wasting it installing XP.

The OP mentioned that he could afford buying either Windows 7 or a new version of MS Office, but not both. So if he can get Office 2000 to run on Windows 7, which several people have done, then he can afford upgrading to Windows 7.
Old 02-21-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh yeah, forgot there was a SP3 for XP
Old 02-21-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, crap. Y'all got me leanin' towatds shellin' out the bucks for 7. I have no problem with 7 - using it right now on my P.O.S. laptop! My problem is I want to 1) save money (live better! ) and 2) stick with stuff I'm familiar with. (you kids get off my lawn!) But, I realize using XP would be temporary so I'm thinkin' I should get the change over with now so I'll have plenty of time to whine later about whatever new O.S. comes out after Win8.

So, here are the specs of my new system:
ASRock 970 Extreme4 motherboard with 8GB RAM (didn't know about the XP limit of 4GB! )
MSI GT 610 video card
250GB SATA HD (why so little? Currently using only about 70GB after 20+ years on the internet)

If I take MS Office out of the equation, is there any other advantage to get Win7 Pro over the Home Premium version? Just lookin' at the dollars ...
Old 02-21-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I take MS Office out of the equation, is there any other advantage to get Win7 Pro over the Home Premium version? Just lookin' at the dollars ...
Probably no advantage for basic home use. Win7 Pro has features that may be necessary for business use (like joining a domain) or that advanced users may like (file/drive encryption, etc.).

A few comparisons between editions:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/do-yo...e-premium/1128
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare
Old 02-21-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It also depends on what he is doing, I have 12gb in my machine, and can't tell the difference over 4gb in Office, basic browsing, etc

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
If he has only 4GB, XP would probably be fine, for now. If he has more RAM, then he'll be wasting it installing XP.

The OP mentioned that he could afford buying either Windows 7 or a new version of MS Office, but not both. So if he can get Office 2000 to run on Windows 7, which several people have done, then he can afford upgrading to Windows 7.
Old 02-21-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welp, the decision was made. Just got back from buying Win 7 Pro. After listening to all the input, it seems the best way - I'm semi-current and can still run my older crap.

Thanks for all the help!

(now wait for my next thread detailing my problems installing 7 )
Old 02-21-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 02-21-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow! This is a first in all the history of internet threads. A user asking for help actually listen to all the feedback... and does as he's asked to do!
Old 02-21-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, I use Outlook Express as my main email client, and I need to get that back because all my contacts are there (hard-drive from old PC is fine).
Windows Live Mail is the free direct successor to OE, and you can directly upgrade from OE to Windows Mail. It'll feel familiar yet modern, as opposed to Outlook, which is a different beast entirely.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...other-programs

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.