Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Name of cable?

Old 02-09-13, 08:59 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Name of cable?

I purchased a IDE to SATA adapter awhile back from Newegg and the power cable that goes from the hard drive to the adapter broke. Cant find a replacement since I dont know the name of the cable. Can anyone help? Thanks.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-09-13, 09:15 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Name of cable?

I thought you meant molex to sata to convert power to a sata hard drive, but the picture you have there looks like a molex to floppy drive power cable.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 02-09-13, 09:29 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I thought you meant molex to sata to convert power to a sata hard drive, but the picture you have there looks like a molex to floppy drive power cable.
I dont know what molex is. The cable goes from an IDE drive to the other end of the adapter. This is the adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817998159
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-09-13, 09:30 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: MN
Posts: 204
Re: Name of cable?

Is this what your looking for?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812189005
kidindy is offline  
Old 02-09-13, 09:40 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,771
Re: Name of cable?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I dont know what molex is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex
stevevt is offline  
Old 02-09-13, 09:58 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

Originally Posted by kidindy View Post
No, thats not the same cable.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-09-13, 10:09 PM
  #7  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,642
Re: Name of cable?

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cab...o+floppy+drive
The Cow is offline  
Old 02-09-13, 10:15 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

That looks like it might be it...thanks.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-10-13, 03:06 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

Actually, looking closer it might not be it. I need the bigger end to fit into the back of an IDE drive to power it. Here's a link to the actual adapter
http://www.startech.com/HDD/Docking/...cks~SAT2IDEADP

This is what I need ...
http://images.yourdictionary.com/molex-connector

Last edited by JZ1276; 02-10-13 at 03:21 AM.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-11-13, 01:36 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,503
Re: Name of cable?

This looks like it could be it:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The molex end is male, so should plug into the female port on a harddrive.

This site has some good descriptions and pics of the various power connectors used in PCs over the years:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...onnectors.html
Jay G. is offline  
Old 02-11-13, 06:09 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
This looks like it could be it:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The molex end is male, so should plug into the female port on a harddrive.

This site has some good descriptions and pics of the various power connectors used in PCs over the years:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...onnectors.html
Close, but the end that plugs into the hard drive needs to be female.. This cable is apparently hard to find.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-11-13, 08:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,503
Re: Name of cable?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Close, but the end that plugs into the hard drive needs to be female.. This cable is apparently hard to find.
OK, so then add this adapter to it:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Jay G. is offline  
Old 02-13-13, 08:06 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 2,601
Re: Name of cable?

You may be able to fix your original adapter cable. The video below shows how to remove the pins from various connectors including the 4 pin floppy connector. You should be able to pull the pin out, reattach the cable, then stick it back in the connector.

belboz is offline  
Old 02-13-13, 10:08 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,622
Re: Name of cable?

You're right this is not a common cable.

I think this one should work, based on the description (too bad there's not pictures of the connectors):

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/addonics...?sellerId=null
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Add...r/2743749.aspx
TheBang is offline  
Old 02-14-13, 12:42 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,279
Re: Name of cable?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
General Zod is offline  
Old 02-15-13, 02:58 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

Not the cable I need. Like I said before, the end that goes into the hard drive needs to be female.

Originally Posted by belboz View Post
You may be able to fix your original adapter cable. The video below shows how to remove the pins from various connectors including the 4 pin floppy connector. You should be able to pull the pin out, reattach the cable, then stick it back in the connector.

I will give this a shot. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
You're right this is not a common cable.

I think this one should work, based on the description (too bad there's not pictures of the connectors):

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/addonics...?sellerId=null
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Add...r/2743749.aspx
I think this is it. Thanks.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 10:19 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

The black cable is now completely disconnected from both ends but it is still working. Weird.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 10:37 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,503
Re: Name of cable?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
The black cable is now completely disconnected from both ends but it is still working. Weird.
Both black lines are ground, so you probably only need one of them.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...onnectors.html
Jay G. is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 10:46 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,534
Re: Name of cable?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Both black lines are ground, so you probably only need one of them.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...onnectors.html
Oh, ok cool then. Looks like there isnt an issue after all lol.
JZ1276 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.